Valued Contributor

Need to replace my recliner loveseat.

DH and I went to a well known recliner furniture store today.  We found what we liked but not a good color for our living room.  The price tag said $3300.  They said the color we needed was a 'custom order'.  But they would give us military discount - yay!  The only difference between the floor model and what we wanted was a different color.  The price including tax and some kind of damage waranty was over $6000!   Delivery was extra and the whole order would take over 8 weeks.  This was a leather loveseat with a console and with power recline.  The cream leather was $3300 - our dark red leather would be over $6000!  Is that reasonable?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need to replace my recliner loveseat.

@Nicecupoftea

You're kidding right?  I've been sleeping in many "lounge chair recliners" for over 25 years and I haven't spent over $400 for any of them. Most of them were in the $300 category. I have not found a single one of them to be anything but what I expected when I "tried them out" in the store before making the purchase.

Guess it depends on what a person wants to spend their money on, its up to them. Now I did just spend over $3000 for a new TV set, but it does more than just provide a place for me to park my tuukas. I will get a whole lot more use out of ourTV set than I ever would in any of my recliners, and that includes my sleeping in them nightly.

"To each be their own".

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Yikes!  That sounds like an awfully high price tag for one piece of furniture.  Does it have to be that brand & does it have to be leather?  I think I would shop around some more before making a final decision.  For that kind of money, it should last a very long time.

Your decision, of course.  You may have an income that can easily handle that kind of expenditure.  If so, then good for you!

Super Contributor

Recently I did research on a replacement chair for a senior who needed a recliner/lift chair.  I settled on Overstock.com.  The transaction was effortless, delivered on time and quite reasonable compared to other stores I checked.  The chair is quite nice leather for under $500.   I ordered using id.me which offers military discounts. 

I see overstock also offers leather recliner loveseats.  You might try searching there.

Respected Contributor

That price is insane. Walk away. 

I would also Google reviews of the manufacturer. I've read the quality has changed on one well known brand with unhappy customers.

Valued Contributor

We did walk away!   We had previously bought two couches and an arm chair for under $3000.  After a few years one couch collapsed.  (We are not overweight!)  The warranty turned out useless.  They even wanted to charge us $75 to come out and look at it!  We thought a 'better' brand would be a good idea but the price was ridiculous.

Contributor

Try wayfair d o t c o m and type in Recliners.  They have some really good looking chairs and prices.  I see they are starting to advertise on TV now and are selling a lot of things besides furniture.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nicecupoftea wrote:

DH and I went to a well known recliner furniture store today.  We found what we liked but not a good color for our living room.  The price tag said $3300.  They said the color we needed was a 'custom order'.  But they would give us military discount - yay!  The only difference between the floor model and what we wanted was a different color.  The price including tax and some kind of damage waranty was over $6000!   Delivery was extra and the whole order would take over 8 weeks.  This was a leather loveseat with a console and with power recline.  The cream leather was $3300 - our dark red leather would be over $6000!  Is that reasonable?

@Nicecupoftea

Glad you walked away from the above. I'd call that ridiculous.

Have you thought of posting the same request and perhaps asking for recommendations in the "Home" forum?  Those folks are very nice and know what they're talking about.  Good luck!

Contributor

I think some stores really over charge for custom orders to encourage folks to just purchase what is available in stock.  

Contributor

@Christina042 wrote:

Try wayfair d o t c o m and type in Recliners.  They have some really good looking chairs and prices.  I see they are starting to advertise on TV now and are selling a lot of things besides furniture.

I meant to add - look at the reviews.  They are all 5 Stars.  I remember reading a post here awhile back from a poster who bought one from wayfair and she was very happy with it.  Something about it was not the right color or something and they knocked off a couple hundred dollars (or something like that).  I wish she was still here and could come back and repeat her experience.

There are times I learn things from this board.  A long time ago, someone bought a mattress and gave such a glowing report, that I went to the site, bought one and ended up with two brand new mattresses, due to a mistake on their part.  LOL

I also think that if someone sleeps in a recliner for 25 years, wouldn't they want the very best instead of buying one every few years at a low price?  Look at all the money spent when it could have lasted many more years.  Oh well - we all think differently I guess.