Honored Contributor

Re: Need suggestions for Thanksgiving weekend getaway!

@ladyroxanne wrote:

i would not suggest flying because i think that this is the worst travel time of the year and you don't want to spend your time in an airport.

@ladyroxanne

ITA.

I've heard Sunday after Thanksgiving is the worst day of travel days,

especially in the airports.  Makes sense!

Honored Contributor

For a number of years, my niece and her husband have gone to this resort in the Poconos, about 3 hrs from Philly.  It looks lovely and apparently there are all sorts of activities for adults and kids.  They rave about the friendly attentive staff.  They like it so much, they just bought an interest in a vacation home there.

Woodloch Resort

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Where ever you decide to go, I would start now making reservations.

Honored Contributor

The Williamsburg Va. Is a good idea. We went to Plymouth Mass. last year and saw the Mayflower, Plimouth Plantation, etc.

NYC is good because it is close. Don't flyover Thanksgiving, horrible. 

Habe be fun whatever you decide!

Respected Contributor

@castlenv wrote:

Williamsburg, VA. You can Amtrak it.  It is wonderful any time of year but especially around the holidays. 

Hi castlenv!

I agree...Colonial Williamsburg, VA...It is only a few hours drive from Philly.  And as you stated you can always take Amtrak if you do no feel like driving. 

It is a "Wonderful" time of year to visit Colonial Williamsburg, VA. 

This would be my first choice. 

Trusted Contributor

MercysMom, thanx for mentioning TN. never even thought of visiting there. i'll definitely look into it today 😊

Honored Contributor

NEW YORK CITY!  The parade and I am sure there are many, many restaurants open for a Thanksgiving dinner.  Plus you will enjoy all the holiday decorations and many sights to visit so take a bite out of the big apple!  Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Given your location, Manhattan is a no-brainier. A weekend trip to Washington's Mt. Vernon would be great, too. You can take the train in either direction and use public transit easily. 

Honored Contributor

@qvc chick wrote:

It is just my daughter and I for Thanksgiving this year.  In the past we have done some volunteering at neighborhood soup kitchens.  I never cook a turkey, alot of work for just the two of us.  This year I would love to get away for the long weekend.

Any suggestions of a fun Thanksgiving getaway?  I wouldn't mind a trip to somewhere that they would offer a turkey dinner with all the festivities....

I live in the Philadelphia area, was thinking of a day trip, or even flying somewhere. 

Thanks!

@qvc chick

My first thought was a quick trip up to Niagara Falls ... but perhaps flying isn't a great idea.   I like the suggestion of going to the Poconos .... IF you can get reservations at this point.    

One thing I know nothing about but want to investigate are the cruises on the Great Lakes ....  I think the name is pearl seas cruises or something like that.    A nice cruise could be very relaxing and they do all the work for meals!

Honored Contributor

I don't know your likes and dislikes or your budget so obviously I couldn't suggest anything.  However, I think you better make your decision now and get your reservations in....you're already late.  The one time, we took the girls away for the Thanksgiving holiday, we made reservations 9 months before the holiday.