Super Contributor

Re: Did you ever take lessons of any kind?

In the 80's I took oil painting lessons.

Respected Contributor

Accordian and piano

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I took Clarinet lessons and played for years, I also took Piano lessons and played for a few years, I took Tap Dance Lessons as a child but that did not last long (I have two left feet) and I took Arts & Craft Lessons in the summers and swim lessons every summer, and I still swim like a fish.

Respected Contributor

I can't even count how many classes I've taken in my lifetime.  The sad thing is I still can't do any of those things.

Trusted Contributor

Piano lessons for 8 years, swimming, typing/keyboarding, sewing, golf, Tai Chi, voice lessons, and probably more that I have forgotten. I might not be a master at any of them, but I am glad that I can do the basics of all of them.

As a semi-retired teacher, I am very surprised that many of my students have not had any swimming lessons. I think they are so important, just to be able to save your own life!

Respected Contributor

- Swimming lessons as a child

- Piano lessons began about the 5th grade and I still play to this day

- Tennis lessons in junior high and college

- Ballet in high school

- Organ lessons in high school

- Quilting as an adult

- My husband and I took ice skating lessons together - that was a lot of fun and we learned a lot of advanced skating.

I'd love to take oil painting lessons, but can't find anyone near me to teach.  I guess I'll have to teach myself via YouTube.Woman Wink  I love the arts!

Honored Contributor

Piano for a short time, even though my Grandma was a concert pianist, I was not encouraged for some reason and I loved playing. Yoga, spinning wool and knitting, cake decorating, gardening. The cake decorating and gardening has served me well through out my adult life and also generated income for me.

Respected Contributor

Piano, clarinet, guitar, swimming, tennis, gymnastics, tap, ballet and figure skating. I absolutely hated dance and figure skating. I would've rather played hockey, but the youth hockey association in my town wouldn't allow little girls to play (at the time) and neither would my mother. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

There's a theme here.  Many lessons we took as children were not big hits.

When I took piano lessons as a child, I hated it.  I hated practicing and I was scared to death of that mean old lady who taught every kid in the neighborhood.  I could not wait until my parents finally realized they were wasting their money.

Taking lessons as an adult was an entirely different experience.  I had a stroke and lost my memory.  With my memory went my ability to read music and even identify the keys on the piano.  I was a beginner.  I had a wonderful teacher who was young enough to be my son.  I chose what kind of music I wanted to play.  I did not have to go through a series of grade books.

I loved practicing and had to limit myself to 2 hours a day.  After a few months, muscle memory kicked in and I was hooked.  I've been taking lessons (as adult) for almost 12 years. Now it's only once every 3 weeks, but I so look forward to it.

Super Contributor

Fire arms and I love it!