Respected Contributor

I just recieved a small postcard notifiying me that a subscription for a magazine will be renewing automatically on 'xyz' date for $35.00. With options to cancel, etc.

I thought that seems high so I opened up my magazine and pulled out renewal card and noted

$18 for a year or $28 for 2 years!!!!

So I called the number to inquire and was informed that the $35 was the renewal price not the new subscriber price I would have to cancel and renew to get the savings.   ????

Nice way to treat your customers!

Just a quick warning to take note to those tiny postcards that come in the mail.

Respected Contributor

Re: Auto-renewal WARNING

[ Edited ]

Reminds me why I am so disgusted with my internet/phone supplier. They constantly offer free phones, discount rates, bundle bargains to new customers and/or subscribers.

I've been with the same company for my cell and then internet since February 2, 1980.  Are there any great benefits for me as a long standing, loyal customer?  No.  No free phone, no discounts on bundles, etc. Just plain nothing, even though I've een loyal to them for over 37 years.

Granted, I could switch around and grab all the benefits from all the other companies that offer lots of benefits for non-loyalty, but I'm just not into doing that. Too much trouble (I'm carrying five cell phones for family members).  But should't the real benefits be handed out to the long-standing, loyal customers? 

And, just as an aside, when I get those little post card messages, I cancel the subscription immediately. Not going to be scammed by a magazine publisher!

Honored Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

Reminds me why I am so disgusted with my internet/phone supplier. They constantly offer free phones, discount rates, bundle bargains to new customers and/or subscribers.

I've been with the same company for my cell and then internet since February 2, 1980.  Are there any great benefits for me as a long standing, loyal customer?  No.  No free phone, no discounts on bundles, etc. Just plain nothing, even though I've een loyal to them for over 37 years.

Granted, I could switch around and grab all the benefits from all the other companies that offer lots of benefits for non-loyalty, but I'm just not into doing that. Too much trouble (I'm carrying five cell phones for family members).  But should't the real benefits be handed out to the long-standing, loyal customers? 

And, just as an aside, when I get those little post card messages, I cancel the subscription immediately. Not going to be scammed by a magazine publisher!

We have Fios and our 2 year contract just ended.  I renewed it - it went up $10 a month - I wasn't in the mood to have the cable company in to disconnect Fios and hook us back up to cable, new boxes, etc. 

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter I have found that if you call the company and ask for a better price or special that they are offering they will usually comply.It can be a problem because some of the specials run for six months and then you have to call and renegotiate but I feel that  it is worth my time.I consider home management my job so it is in my best interest to get the most for my money.

Respected Contributor

Ticked me off - got one too and immediately wrote CANCEL and sent back - if they send me any more I'm not paying for them.  It's not right.  We get to choose, not them.

Respected Contributor

I called and cancelled my newspaper in December (as price was going up - once again) and continued to receive it for another month.  Got the bill at the end of January, wrote on it "called and cancelled in December, not paying".  These companies are trying to force us into taking their subscriptions.  Then this week I get a call saying they are offering me a "special price" since I was a long-time subscriber.  I told them "no thanks". 

Respected Contributor

I remember years ago when I lived in another state - I paid for the newspaper by mail - 3 months in advance.  I began to notice that they were sending me bills after the second month - including the third month in the next bill.

For example,  In Dec, I'd paid for  Jan - March.  Then in Feb I get a bill for March through May. In April   get a bill for May through July.  So I'm paying for March and May twice.  When I called, they kept telling me I must be mistaken.  So I canceled the paper.

Valued Contributor

Auto-renewal is why I never purchase ANY magazine with a credit card!  I send a check for the one year deal i want.

I keep a list in my budget book of when I paid and for how many I am to receive.   By paying with a check I know that they will not be able to renew me.

Esteemed Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl  I'm not renewing any magazines any more.  I follow the magazines that I like on Twitter.  I read a lot of articles free. No paper clutter. I think I have 3 subscriptions that still need to run out.  I take the magazines to work after I'm done with them.

@Perkup  ITA with you!  I've tried to call and say I have better offer from competing cable or internet.  They just say "OK" no more lowering prices with that call.  Those days are gone. 

We did switch cell phones to Cricket.  It's $30 cheaper a month than AT&T.  It's the same network. I believe it is part of AT&T.

Respected Contributor

What irritated me about my only subscription was that every couple of months they were sending renewal offers even though I had two years left on my current subscription.  They were not worded that this was an offer to extend the subscription, rather to renew.   I felt this was sort of a dubious practice.

It irked me so much, I sent an email to their subscription department and told them in so many words to knock it off.