Honored Contributor

Any WEN users with hypothyroidism?

Just wondering if you experienced dry hair as a side effect and once you were on medication for awhile, if it went back to normal?

TIA! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: Any WEN users with hypothyroidism?

I have a very low thyroid and have some hair loss, even with medication, but I have super thick hair to begin with. I generally have very healthy hair. The only thing I don't seem to be losing is weight!

Honored Contributor

On 8/11/2014 tigriss said:

I have a very low thyroid and have some hair loss, even with medication, but I have super thick hair to begin with. I generally have very healthy hair. The only thing I don't seem to be losing is weight!

I don't have any hair loss thankfully. Yeah, my sister has been on her medication for quite some time and she has not been able to lose the weight she gained. She is really active and eats well so it is odd. I fortunately have not had any weight gain either.

Respected Contributor

Same thing here. I manage to gain weight and all. I'm beginning to think that I'm a camel and just hold water in my fat cells for times of starvation.

I do have dry skin, but still an oily scalp. I just moisturize with olive oil after my shower to keep my eczema at bay and nourish my skin. It is super cheap and works so well, plus it is only one ingredient. You can use an olive oil treatment on your hair, like the Wen oils, to help with dry hair. You may not get your old hair back as your body may not interpret it like the natural hormones. I take synthroid and though my bloodwork reads perfect, I don't get much relief from my symptoms from the weight gain and the dry skin and being tired.

Trusted Contributor

I am hypothyroid. I am 42, was diagnosed at 35. I take a low dose of synthroid and am back in normal range now. I can't say I noticed any change since I have been on the medication (weight, energy or hair). Sorry-- that can't have been very helpful Smiley Very Happy
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

On 8/11/2014 BExplorer said: I am hypothyroid. I am 42, was diagnosed at 35. I take a low dose of synthroid and am back in normal range now. I can't say I noticed any change since I have been on the medication (weight, energy or hair). Sorry-- that can't have been very helpful Smiley Very Happy

yeah, I am finding that appears to be more typical than not. Smiley Sad

Contributor

My 10 yr old has hashimoto's. I switched her to Wen as soon as we found out. Her hair was very dry before her diagnosis, and between her meds and Wen, her hair is waist length and beautiful!

Honored Contributor

On 8/11/2014 tigriss said:

Same thing here. I manage to gain weight and all. I'm beginning to think that I'm a camel and just hold water in my fat cells for times of starvation.

I do have dry skin, but still an oily scalp. I just moisturize with olive oil after my shower to keep my eczema at bay and nourish my skin. It is super cheap and works so well, plus it is only one ingredient. You can use an olive oil treatment on your hair, like the Wen oils, to help with dry hair. You may not get your old hair back as your body may not interpret it like the natural hormones. I take synthroid and though my bloodwork reads perfect, I don't get much relief from my symptoms from the weight gain and the dry skin and being tired.

awww, that made me laugh (camel comment) but I don't mean to minimize your issues. Smiley Happy

I have had issues with my skin also being drier than what it ever was over the past year or so but have it basically managed now with my current skincare. I am thinking that the drier hair and skin must have been related to this new diagnosis. Both my mom and one of my sisters have it so it really doesn't surprise me.

Super Contributor

In my opinion, with my personal experience from being hypo-thyroid, I would say to make sure you take fish oil, evening primrose and biotin. I think all these things made more of a difference than the shampoo/conditioner I was using. I have used Wen in the past but was more happy with Ovation and now I use Loreal (salon grade). I also take Armour Thyroid which works better for me than Synthroid.

Honored Contributor

On 8/11/2014 kahootz said:

In my opinion, with my personal experience from being hypo-thyroid, I would say to make sure you take fish oil, evening primrose and biotin. I think all these things made more of a difference than the shampoo/conditioner I was using. I have used Wen in the past but was more happy with Ovation and now I use Loreal (salon grade). I also take Armour Thyroid which works better for me than Synthroid.

thank you. I can't take biotin but I definitely know I want to add in a fish oil supplement and I use to use evening primrose but for some reason stopped. I will look into adding that back in. I don't know what they are going to put me on yet in terms of medications. thank you!