Honored Contributor

That was my mom's constant mantra as we were growing up. When we moped around, said "it's not fair", or bemoaned our lot in life, my mom would say "Get Over It".

Not that she didn't do the things a mom is supposed to do. She listened, she advised, she hugged, she cried with and for us, but when it came down to it, her philosophy was to get over it. Not that it fixed everything, but you had to get over it (no matter what it was, or how serious it was) at least enough to continue functioning in life, and move on with it.

She came from a really rough life, and that is how she dealt.

What phrases or philosophy did your mom (or dad) use about life. Did you carry that on? Did you agree with it or not?

Respected Contributor

""nobody ever said life was fair.."" and I think that pretty much rings true.

Trusted Contributor

My dad used to say.... "don't let 'em pee all over you, open your mouth". It meant you should stand up for yourself and not totally give up

He also used to say..."check to see if the door's open before you break it down."

Trusted Contributor
On 2/26/2014 Deb1010again said:

My dad used to say.... "don't let 'em pee all over you, open your mouth". It meant you should stand up for yourself and not totally give up

He also used to say..."check to see if the door's open before you break it down."

Oh, I LOVE that second one! I've never heard that saying before, and it is a great piece of wisdom. Too often we get all "wound up and ready to fight" before we even consider if there's a calmer, better way open to us.

Honored Contributor
My mother's only acceptable-for-print advice was to marry a rich orphan.
Respected Contributor

""I'm not made of money!"" is what my mother would say when I would ask for a few bucks (probably quite often) to buy whatever I wanted at the time.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Regular Contributor

While raising our DS my DH would say "If you are going to be dumb you had better be tough" Which meant you will be held accountable for the consequences of your choices, so make smart choices!

Super Contributor

"I'm not your friend, I'm your Mother". As in you might not always like me, or like what I have to say or like my rules and so on. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor
My Mom was the queen of using old fashioned sayings - her favorite was ""because I'm your Mother and I said so"" and when we cried to get something we wanted ""Do I have to give you something to cry about?"" CQ - she also used ""I never told you life would be fair"".
Respected Contributor

My mom told me:

Don't be your own worst enemy.

There are alot of people that do themselves in without any help from other people.