Better Than Black Friday
35 Members and 13985 Guests Online

Recipe Swap

Ninja ice cream recipe

Started 1307484443.08 in Recipe Swap | Last reply 1318568921.603 by tomlevine1

Found this on David V.'s Facebook page. Just in case anyone is still looking for it.

Hi Foodies!

A lot have you asked about the ice-cream recipe for the Ninja, so here's the recipe for Strawberry Ice-cream. You can substitute with Peaches or any frozen fruit instead of Strawberries.

STRAWBERRY ICE-CREAM

1 ½ cups plus ½ cup of milk

¼ cup, heavy whipping cream

¼ cup sugar

1 cup frozen strawberries

¼ teaspoon vanilla extract

1) Combine 1 ½ cup milk, cream, sugar. Stir and dissolve sugar. Fill one 16 cube ice cube tray with mixture. Freeze for at least 3 hours (or until solid)

2) Place ice cream cubes in Ninja, add frozen strawberries, vanilla, ½ cup of milk. Pulse, 10 to 15 secs. Until smooth and creamy.

3) Serve.

Peaches & Cream Ice Cream - as demonstrated by Bob Warden on "In the Kitchen with David"

Used in a Ninja with a 40 oz. bowl:

**Note Bob usually has the custard made prior when he's demonstrating it on air, or you can use milk too**

9 oz frozen peaches (or any berry you desire)

Custard:

1 cup Heavy Cream

2 Large Eggs

1/3 Cup Sugar

1 tsp Vanilla

Pinch of Salt

To make custard:

1. Place the eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt into 40 oz bowl and blend together until smooth.

2. In a medium saucepan, heat the cream until steaming. DO NOT BOIL.

3. Pour about one-half cup of the cream mixture into the egg mixture and blend for about 10 seconds

4. Pour this mixture slowly into a saucepan with the remaining cream, stirring in slowly to combine.

5. Bring the mixture to a very low simmer and stir for about 3 minutes, until smooth and thick.

6. Remove from the heat and chill for several hours in refrigerator.

7. After mixture has cooled, add frozen peaches to 40 oz bowl and then pour in custard.

8. Pulse for approx. 8-10 seconds to break up the peaches, then hold down the pod for 30 seconds.

Serve.

Page 1 of 1
TrishTX1307488877.04242 PostsRegistered 8/4/2007

Thank you for posting this. I looked for it under his recipes and on his blog-no luck.

I don't do the social pages...so this is really appreciated!

Love my Ninja!

mallemo1307503842.9910075 PostsRegistered 7/1/2007Minnesota
On 6/7/2011 TrishTX said:

Thank you for posting this. I looked for it under his recipes and on his blog-no luck.

I don't do the social pages...so this is really appreciated!

Love my Ninja!

You are most welcome! It seems that lots of others are also wondering about this recipe as it was not included with the machine I guess. I don't have a Ninja......yet. I'm thinking about it though. Which one do you have? I think QVC is down to two models now, the Storm and the Pro. I think the wattage on the Pro is 50 watts more. I have the personal blender that Chris Freytag sells. I think the Ninja would be way more powerful than that.

panz1307504286.523388 PostsRegistered 9/18/2006Maui, HI

Any thoughts on how I could make a low cal version? I would use 1% milk, but what could I substitute for the heavy cream? Or do you think that it just wouldn't work without the "good" stuff?

santorini1307546454.717177 PostsRegistered 1/26/2007
On 6/7/2011 panz said:

Any thoughts on how I could make a low cal version? I would use 1% milk, but what could I substitute for the heavy cream? Or do you think that it just wouldn't work without the "good" stuff?

Panz, I use the Vitamix for this, but I'm sure it would work the same in the Ninja: 2 parts frozen fruit to 1 part liquid, plus a little sweetener. I use the Triple Berry frozen fruit from Sam's, although I'm sure any fruit would work. I use 2 cups of the frozen berries, 1 cup of 1% milk, and a little brown sugar. It comes out great and it's delicious! I will try substituting Stevia for the sugar next time.

gonnab1307912258.643123 PostsRegistered 8/10/2007Conn.

For lower calories - substitute skim milk for the milk, and fat-free half 'n half for the heavy cream.

Last edited on 6/12/2011

Last edited on 6/12/2011

age 78, sensitive/combo skin, few fine lines, lack of firmness especially to cheeks, short natural (never colored) grey hair, brown eyes

gonnab1308139532.9173123 PostsRegistered 8/10/2007Conn.

Made some strawberry "ice cream" last night. - Frozen strawberries, almond milk, a little Splenda, and a capful of strawberry extract to heighten the flavor. Came out great!!!

age 78, sensitive/combo skin, few fine lines, lack of firmness especially to cheeks, short natural (never colored) grey hair, brown eyes

voka1308510025.7032 PostsRegistered 12/18/2010
On 6/15/2011 gonnab said:

Made some strawberry "ice cream" last night. - Frozen strawberries, almond milk, a little Splenda, and a capful of strawberry extract to heighten the flavor. Came out great!!!

Thank you for this recipe. I would not have thought to put a capful of strawberry extract to heighten the flavor.

coco141309548512.7131119 PostsRegistered 6/19/2010

a lot more complicated than the one he used on air - I simply used frozen fruit and skim milk and made ice cream in thirty seconds

daddyrob11312258934.9832 PostsRegistered 5/8/2011

I agree with cco14 and anyone else who commented on how complicated these recipes are compared to what we see in the TV demos. They don't do any 'cooking' or any 'pre-prepped' mixtures -- in fact they don't even mention using heavy cream! What's up with all that?

It's supposed to be a simple 1) Milk, 2) Frozen fruit (or similar), and 3) Sweetner -- Pulse and then Blend! Voila...Ice Cream!!! All we wanted were the proportions. This 'switcharoonie' stuff is NOT appreciated!

KatieB1312309681.52576 PostsRegistered 1/31/2007Greensboro, NC

Thank you for posting these recipes. The ice cream was the only reason I purchased the Ninja. And then I couldn't find the recipes..

KatieB

ranna1312310175.893339 PostsRegistered 7/31/2007
On 6/7/2011 panz said:

for richer flavor, use fat free evaparated milk.

PodyPo1312311581.907228 PostsRegistered 1/31/2011
On 6/7/2011 panz said:

I was annoyed that the recipe did not come with the machine, so I just experimented. When I saw the demonstration, I just assumed what they were putting in was just milk or half and half.

My winner is easy and no fuss, lower cal than all that custard stuff:

handful each of frozen strawberries and frozen peaches
about 2/3 cup vanilla soymilk

Pulse, then blend until smooth.

Sometimes I add a bit of honey, but not always. It is very soft and smooth and refreshing. I would never go to all the custard-making fuss.

bluecorvet­te1318525281.72 PostsRegistered 12/18/2010

thank you!!!!!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

tomlevine11318568921.4444 PostsRegistered 11/3/2010

I love these recipes!

There are a million variations on how to make, as Emeril would put it, "One of those frozzie things"...I often times just throw frozen fruit in the Ninja with some yogurt and splenda, and yes, that is a frozen treat.

But, I think there is an argument in favor of the custard thing, and this is it: Ice-Cream is basically frozen custard. (technically, not philadelphia ice-cream, which is pure milk, cream, sugar) So, yeah, you can make frozzie things in Ninja, and Bob advises right in the pitch, if you just want to throw cream in, or milk in, whatever you have on hand, go right ahead. BUT, if you are going for an authentic, as close as you get, ice-cream experience, using Ninja, then there's nothing wrong with starting with custard.

And I enjoy making home-made ice-cream, actually, I make Gelato, but here's the thing. I make the custard, which is part of the joy of home-made ice cream, and it takes quite a bit of time, but it is SO worth it. The taste is unlike anything you'll get in the store. Instead of spending the time and effort, putting that cooked, cooled custard in my cuisinart and instead, drop it in the Ninja with some frozen fruit, and create a similar ice-cream experience, in 30 seconds of buzzing...BRILLIANT!

Also, for what it's worth, the custard recipe called for in the post above, is far more basic, far simpler, then the method I employ when making gelato. So in that regard, it's faster. Using the Ninja, instead of an ice-cream maker, is faster. Does custard and frozen fruit (in the Ninja), taste better than milk and frozen fruit (in the Ninja)? Probably, in terms of mouth-feel, yeah, I would think it would, although I haven't tried it yet.

But, don't get mad at Bob, for making custard. I would not describe it as a "switcharoo"...It's just another variation on "one of those frozzie things", and I personally, appreciate the inspiration.

Page 1 of 1