Super Contributor

How To Layer sunscreen with Make Up?

Do you put sunscreen on first then foundation?

Should you put sunscreen on Over foundation?

If using powder like Mally's Poreless Perfection,does the sunscreen (moisturizer) not work?

thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: How To Layer sunscreen with Make Up?

Sunscreen is the last step in your skin care routine. Makeup goes on after that.

Valued Contributor

Agree with JLF! All serums, then creams and finally sunscreen. then apply any make up and this includes Poreless Perfection.

Frequent Contributor

I just read in one of my magazines that sunscreen should go before make up.

The Skin Cancer Foundation says the order should be: medication, moisturizer, sunscreen, make up.

Paula's Choice states sunscreen before make up.

Honored Contributor

From the Skin Cancer Foundation:

If you’re a regular sunscreen user who also uses cosmetics or topical medications, you’ve probably wondered what the proper order is for applying these products. Does sunscreen go on first? Last? In the middle?

“You’ve probably wondered what the proper order is for applying these products. Does sunscreen go on first? Last? In the middle? First topical medications, then sunscreen,” says Bradford R. Katchen, MD, associate professor of dermatology, Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York City.

“If sunscreen is applied first, it might interfere with the medication’s penetration and might inactivate the active ingredient. For that reason, medication should always be the first product applied to a clean, washed face.”

If you’re also using a moisturizer, it should go on after the medication and before the sunscreen, adds Rosemarie Ingleton, MD, attending physician, Beth Israel Medical Center and clinical instructor, Mount Sinai Medical Center. “Applying a moisturizer after the medication could actually enhance penetration of the medication,” she notes. “If the moisturizer does not contain an SPF, apply a sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher next. Finally, apply foundation, powder, blush and any other colored cosmetics.”

To recap, the layering process goes as follows: medication, moisturizer, sunscreen, foundation, powder and blush.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

Last step of skin care, prior to MU application.

So, for me, I've been using a Hyaluronic serum I like when I get out of shower. Then I put on my SPF (a physical one that my Derm makes), then MU powder or base product, etc.

Honored Contributor

On 3/2/2015 LovemyMakeup said:

I just read in one of my magazines that sunscreen should go before make up.

The Skin Cancer Foundation says the order should be: medication, moisturizer, sunscreen, make up.

Paula's Choice states sunscreen before make up.

Oops, I completely missed this and posted the same.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

This is a very good discussion. Here's the dilemma, though. With sunscreen, you have to reapply every couple of hours in order for it to protect you. I can't imagine removing all makeup and starting over again several times a day, can you? So, how to stay protected and pretty at the same time? Those BB and CC creams seem like the answer but are so thick and heavy for me tht I don't want to use them once, let alone adding layers. I would rally like to figure this out before summer sun returns!
Super Contributor

Oh, and where does primer fit into the scheme, too? Primer keeps gunk out of your pores and makes your foundation go on and stay on. If you put it over the sunscreen, it defeats the first purpose, and if you put it on under the sunscreen, it defeats the second purpose. What's a girl to do? ( File this under life's big unsolved mysteries?)
Honored Contributor

On 3/2/2015 Kay SD said: This is a very good discussion. Here's the dilemma, though. With sunscreen, you have to reapply every couple of hours in order for it to protect you. I can't imagine removing all makeup and starting over again several times a day, can you? So, how to stay protected and pretty at the same time? Those BB and CC creams seem like the answer but are so thick and heavy for me tht I don't want to use them once, let alone adding layers. I would rally like to figure this out before summer sun returns!

I'm pretty fanatical about sunscreen, but unless I'm out in direct sun, I don't reapply. When I do my exercise walking, I do slather it on, though.

For those times when I think I may have to add a bit, I carry a little one of those push-up sticks of sunscreen. I think mine is from Badger.