Valued Contributor

When I was born in the south it was tradition girls needed to know how to sew. I have used my mandatory skills often and it really pays off. I bought extra pairs of A253578, Linea's linen blend pants, (now on sale) and cut the legs shorter for summer shorts. They are not lined and was very easy to do. Look great with the jackets or just around the house. Just an idea!!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Need Shorts? Cut them off!!

Great Idea! Might have to try that.

Respected Contributor

Great idea, Happy Lady. And here's something else you might want to try----take the pants and make a trouser skirt. Don't know if you need to buy a size larger for that so that you have enough material, but (as you know) you open up the inner leg seams and then make center seams down the back and front of the "skirt" and you've got a great straight trouser skirt with a front zipper.

Years ago I use to buy JH Collectibles and I would buy the trousers and jackets and have my seamstress make one of the trousers into a trouser skirt!

"More is more and less is a bore!" Iris Apfel
Valued Contributor

Good Mornin' Sheesh....Oh you brought back memories when I was a ""Hippie"" in the 60's. We used to do that and you do need a larger size. Looks really cute.

Respected Contributor

YES! Jeans skirts were made this way before they sold jean skirts!

"More is more and less is a bore!" Iris Apfel
Trusted Contributor

You can make the jeans skirt a-line by adding in a triangle of fabric from the cut off legs. That's how I used to make jeans skirts. Oh, the hippie days….

Honored Contributor

I used to do that when my pants got holes in the knees, but it would take a lot for me to cut up a new pair of pants to make shorts.

Honored Contributor

'It's about time' that we do a bit of sewing and DIY-ing! Good for you!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).