Respected Contributor

Wooden Kitchen Tools and Spurtle Site

I'd never heard of a spurtle until I watched the Galloping Gourmet and watched Graham Kerr use one. I saw one on EBay and bid on it and won. It's never been used and the sticker is still on it.

Here is a site to visit www.kitchencarvers.com

Honored Contributor

Re: Wooden Kitchen Tools and Spurtle Site

Thanks so much for posting this! I was just asking on another thread where else you could purchase spurtles.

Is this the place your ebay spurtle came from?

Does it seem like it is all one piece or glued sections? TIA!

Honored Contributor

This looks like a great website. Thanks so much for posting it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

The Galloping Gourmet! I used to watch him as a child, and I'm 50 now! I didn't know he was still around. He has to be one of the TV chef pioneers, along with Julia.

Respected Contributor

Gosh, I didn't know the Galloping Gourmet was still around, either! I used to watch him waaaay back when, then he wasn't on tv any more. I read sometime later that both he & his wife were alcoholics & undergoing treatment. No wonder he was so jolly all the time{#emotions_dlg.laugh} Anyway, good to hear that he's continuing his career.

I bought a spurtle from QVC a couple of weeks ago but haven't yet used it, or I should say "them" because my set has both the large & small spurtles. They look good sitting next to the stove, like maybe I'll actually get around to using them & cook something one day.

Respected Contributor

My spurtle was made back in the 60's or 70's. They know longer make them, so if you have one you're lucky. Mine was carved from a solid piece of wood. It didn't come from the site.

I was just searching on the net and found the site I listed. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

I attended a Southern Living Christmas show in Charlotte and there were a couple of woodcarvers there who had spurtles for sale.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the info, Barbara!

Trusted Contributor

On 2/12/2015 RespectLife said:

Thanks so much for posting this! I was just asking on another thread where else you could purchase spurtles.

Is this the place your ebay spurtle came from?

Does it seem like it is all one piece or glued sections? TIA!

It says one solid piece.

Trusted Contributor

I will be purchasing some. Thanks for sharing this link.

Honored Contributor

Never tried the spurtles, but I've had one wooden spoon that might even be 50 years old - 30+ for sure. I've never soaked it in water or put it in the dishwasher. I've always assumed it's one piece of wood.

I did have a beautiful cutting board that was made of strips of wood. It lasted for several decades - until one night I lost my mind and left it sitting in a skillet filled with water. Ugh.