Trusted Contributor

Luminess airbrush makeup system for $99

I noticed HSN has the Luminess air signature airbrush makeup system for $99 (reg price $169). There is also a a $10 coupon off $50 order posted on Mr. R. My question.... Has anyone purchased this unit, been satisfied with results? The reviews are mixed. Not sure if the sale price is worth trying?
Trusted Contributor

Re: Luminess airbrush makeup system for $99

No one tried it?
Super Contributor

I have TEMPTU which is better because you do not have to clean it after each use. The one you are looking at has to be cleaned after each use.
Super Contributor

I tried it and sent it back almost immediately.

I bought it from their paid informercial, though, so I'm not sure if the specifics are exactly the same as far as shades (from what I can see HSN calls the shades "medium, tan, warm, and deep", which is different from the Luminess website).

I love the airbrushed look (but I also love sleeping in {#emotions_dlg.lol}), so I figured I would love Luminess because it claims to save time while giving you a flawless face.

First of all, the application process itself is fairly easy, and the results they depict on the informercial are accurate, provided the nozzle that dispenses the makeup is the correct distance from your face - however, if you are even a centimeter too close, it comes out in spurts and makes your face look downright splotchy and horrid.

If you have shaky hands or issues with depth perception, Luminess is a nightmare. If you are able bodied you should be fine. I was able to apply the product with no problem and the results were quite nice.

I have "perfect" skin so I can't speak to weather or not it would irritate sensitive skin or aggravate oily skin, but for me at least it was very breathable and covered quite well.

The reason I sent it back without a second thought, though, is because of the shade match.

When you buy Luminess, they ask you to determine your shade range, which falls into the typical "fair, medium, tan, and dark" categories. They send you two vials of foundation in two shades within your range.

I am an extremely pale redhead with green eyes, so if a foundation is too dark it clashes with my hair and makes me look ruddy. I am usually the lightest shade in all foundations that I've tried (and I've tried many) so there really is no way for me to pick one that's too light.

I selected "fair" as my shade range, and both of the colors within that range that I was given were far too dark. No amount of blending would hide the almost faux tan look that the lightest shade gave me. I have a friend with very dark skin and like me, it was impossible for her to find a shade that matched from the "dark" range (she was on the opposite end of the spectrum in that all the shades in her range were too light, while mine were too dark).

I have seen reviews from others who claim that you can use your own store-bought foundation in the Luminess stylus, but I wouldn't risk it because your department store foundation isn't designed to work with Luminess, and vice versa.

Do I think Luminess works as it claims? Yes.

Do I think it's worth the money if you are extremely fair skinned or extremely dark skinned? Absolutely not.

If you have light to medium skin, or if you self tan, this would probably be a great option for you. If you are ultra pale like me, or ultra dark like my friend, I would save my money,

Hope this helps! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn't pay that. I am happy with my CC crème, as I don't need much coverage.

Valued Contributor

I tried it - concluded the results weren't worth the hassle of maintaining the machine.

"Behold! We are not bound forever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory." J.R.R. Tolkien
Super Contributor

I have owned my Luminess for about a year now. When I first bought it, I used it constantly. Now since I like to try different foundations I haven't used it for a while.

It does really make your skin flawless (mine did). The only reason I guess I stopped is that I had to lug out the machine, plug it in on my diningroom table fill with the drops of foundation, (I use fair). Afterwards it needs to be rinsed out so that it won't clog up-then pack it away again. I just didn't have the time to use it when I was rushed. I also did not have a permanent place to keep it handy.

Best of luck to you if you do purchase it!

Trusted Contributor

Thanks ladies for all the honest reviews! I may give it try and return it if it does not give me the desired results. I don't mind cleaning it out. I just worry about using a few times then letting it sit back in the closet. I do not have much storage, so I have to really like it and use it. Otherwise it will be a waste on yet another item that goes the beauty graveyard.