TSV(R) Preview
135 Members and 11332 Guests Online

Viewpoints

Facebook Automatically Sharing Your Location - How To Turn It Off

Started 1322674049.23 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1322760939.33 by chickenbutt

Received this information from a cnet newletter. This link is to the article that discloses the latest sneakiness by Facebook and how to turn it off.

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57332537-285/how-to-stop-facebook-from-sharing-your-location/

A dog chasing his tail eventually bites himself.

Page 1 of 1
scotttie1322674173.58338356 PostsRegistered 6/15/2006

Thanks Marp. Is there no end to Facebooks invasion of privacy? THat's why I don't do FB. Too many security features. Afraid I'll miss one!

"A new broom sweeps clean, but an old broom knows where the dirt is."
--today's fortune cookie

chickenbutt1322677749.3824218 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

I don't know if it is enough, as they seem to keep moving the goalposts, but I just keep everything in privacy and security as tight as it can be. Sounds like I need to do another routine check to see if they have changed it again. Must keep on top of these guys, eh? I hardly go there anyway and only visit my puppy's FB page frequently to see what he is talking about.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

scotttie1322677798.4838356 PostsRegistered 6/15/2006
On 11/30/2011 chickenbutt said:

I don't know if it is enough, as they seem to keep moving the goalposts, but I just keep everything in privacy and security as tight as it can be. Sounds like I need to do another routine check to see if they have changed it again. Must keep on top of these guys, eh? I hardly go there anyway and only visit my puppy's FB page frequently to see what he is talking about.

LOL! Your puppy's facebook page! That is so cute!

--today's fortune cookie

chickenbutt1322677876.90324218 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

BTW - the one that is REALLY bad is Twitter. I had never been to twitter and one day I wanted to say something to a particular journalist so I joined Twitter. I used an email address that I have had for a couple of years but never use for anything. It has never had one bit of spam over all this time. Suddenly, spam galore. No privacy anywhere.

Never went back to Twitter and have no plans to do so. I just put everything on 'spam' and spam folder on 'delete everything automatically' so I don't have to even see any of it.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

chickenbutt1322677932.98324218 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown
On 11/30/2011 beammeupscottie said:

LOL! Your puppy's facebook page! That is so cute!

Yeah, I was kind of pushed into starting an account for him by numerous people who wanted to keep up with his daily dealings. He's a pretty popular boy. :) I go there from time to time to post pics. Gotta keep the fans happy. hehe

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

scotttie1322678412.54338356 PostsRegistered 6/15/2006

BTW - the one that is REALLY bad is Twitter. I had never been to twitter and one day I wanted to say something to a particular journalist so I joined Twitter. I used an email address that I have had for a couple of years but never use for anything. It has never had one bit of spam over all this time. Suddenly, spam galore. No privacy anywhere.

Never went back to Twitter and have no plans to do so. I just put everything on 'spam' and spam folder on 'delete everything automatically' so I don't have to even see any of it.

Wow. That's why I just don't even try. I am not tech savvy enough to keep up with it all.

--today's fortune cookie

chickenbutt1322678588.0424218 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

Yeah, it had to be the biggest spam-bomb I've ever seen in all my years on the internet. One day join twitter, next day tons of spammails in inbox. I'm sorry I did it.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

SydneyH1322679383.0541264 PostsRegistered 2/25/2006

FB just is not safe or secure no matter how many settings you think you are adjusting.

A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.

-- Walter Bagehot

Marp1322679661.5413480 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western NC

Did you read the linked article. You can't stop the location disclosure from within settings, you have to look for the little (light grey) section where it shows your location at the time of posting, hover over it then close it.

Last edited on 11/30/2011

Linda-In-MN1322680917.3071278 PostsRegistered 10/7/2005From the land of sky blue waters...

Thanks Marp! I am such a beginner (and slow learner {#emotions_dlg.confused1} ) on Facebook that I appreciate any hints and/or help. Linda

”When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmm, boy." -Jack Handy

chickenbutt1322684897.96324218 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown
On 11/30/2011 Marp said:

Did you read the linked article. You can't stop the location disclosure from within settings, you have to look for the little (light grey) section where it shows your location at the time of posting, hover over it then close it.

I apologize. I did not. But I will. :) Thanks!

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

FrostyBabe1322686864.8233179 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004in the vicinity of an area adjacent to a location

Interesting. I use Twitter quite a bit and have never had a problem with spam emails. I did set up a gmail account specifically for Twitter and the only email I get is notifications from the application. There isn't any way that someone viewing my profile even sees my email address. Perhaps your problem stems from the email account rather than the app? I'm not trying to make light of the problem you had....I hate spam bombing and I get ticked when someone says I must be wrong because THEY haven't experienced whatever the issue is. If you enjoyed Twitter, other than the spam, why not try setting up a gmail account just for that app and see if takes care of the problem?Last edited on 11/30/2011

Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Francesca Reigler

SydneyH1322687226.67341264 PostsRegistered 2/25/2006

Yet another reason to stay far, far away, lol!

http://perezhilton.com/2011-11-29-facebook-escapes-major-punishment-with-settlement-with-federal-trade-commission#.TtaapWMk6so

-- Walter Bagehot

dooBdoo1322687642.45717186 PostsRegistered 6/27/2010Beautiful Southeast USA
On 11/30/2011 SydneyH said:

FB just is not safe or secure no matter how many settings you think you are adjusting.

Truer words were never spoken, SydneyH!

Every tiny bit of info placed on Facebook becomes their property, never (I repeat, never) goes away (even if you think you deleted it), is already being used for background checks (and even insurance claims), and your limited privacy and security are only as good as the settings your "friends" have chosen.

Expecting anything to be held private on Facebook, to re-phrase PCWorld, is like hanging your undies out on the town square clothesline and expecting no one to look.{#emotions_dlg.bored}

★~
And the day came
when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud
was more painful
than the risk it took to blossom.
~Anais Nin

dooBdoo1322688547.92717186 PostsRegistered 6/27/2010Beautiful Southeast USA

From PCWorld:

Meet Your Secret Facebook Dossier

What’s in that file? More than you might think. Aside from the usual stuff people can glean from your public account, your Facebook file lists your credit card numbers, if you’ve provided any, and a whole lot more.

As they say on TV cop shows, anything contained within your Facebook file may be used against you in a court of law – as well as by divorce attorneys, people who are suing you, or private investigators just looking for dirt.

Here’s some of the information your Facebook file can reveal, as well as how it might be used.

Whom you’ve been avoiding. The document lists every friend request and how you responded – including people you’ve quietly turned away. So my mother isn’t good enough to be in your friends list, eh?

Whom you’ve been poking. The file lists every person you’ve poked and when you poked them, as well as who’s poked you back. It seems you’ve been having a nice little pokefest with your best friend’s spouse; what other kinds of poking have you two been up to?

Where you were last summer. Your dossier notes every time you’ve logged into Facebook and the IP address you used, as well as any check-ins you made. The IP address alone can give you a general idea of someone’s location; matched up with information from an ISP account, it can get pretty exact. So you said you were in Seattle on the dates in question, but you logged into Facebook six times from Los Angeles; would you care to explain that to the jury, Mr. Simpson?

What you were really doing. The file records every Facebook event you’ve been invited to, and how you RSVP’d. It’s not proof you actually attended an event you said “yes” to, but it’s enough to raise suspicion. So you claimed to be in Des Moines on a business trip last February, but you RSVP’d to that Swinging Singles Weekend in Cancun. I’ll just have my divorce attorney draw up the papers…

Whom you’ve been chatting up. Chat and message logs, including content, are also part of the files – including messages you’ve deleted. Hope you haven’t been having naughty s*x chat with someone who isn’t your significant other, because Facebook never forgets.

You may have deleted that message, but Facebook hasn't.

Other info in the file: The unique ID of every computer you’ve used to log on, the apps you’ve installed, alternate names you use, groups you belong to, photos you’ve uploaded, political and religious views, and much more. So even if you’ve made this stuff private online, it’s there in your file for any one with a court order (or who's expert at pretexting) to read.

To request your Facebook file you have to provide a scan of a government-issued ID, as well as your mailing address, phone number, the email address you use to log on to Facebook, your correct birthdate (it has to match the one on your Facebook account – so no more lying about your age), and the law under which you are requesting the data. That last one is going to be tough for US members, since there are no laws requiring companies like Facebook disclose this information to ordinary citizens. (Though there should be one, and I bet eventually there will be.)

(I made my request citing the US Constitution. In about 40 days I’ll find out if it worked. If it did, I should receive a CD with my Facebook dossier on it contained in a PDF file.

[UPDATE: Guess not. Just got a robo-email saying Facebook won't comply with my request, "as this form is only applicable in certain jurisdictions." Now I really do want a law like the EU has.]

If you just want to archive your Facebook activity, you can do that from your Accounts page. But it won’t contain any of those juicy nuggets that the cops, PIs, and divorce attorneys crave.) (from article by Dan Tynan, ITworld)

http://www.pcworld.com/article/240861/whats_in_your_facebook_file_more_than_you_think.html#tk.nl_dnx_h_crawl

★~
And the day came
when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud
was more painful
than the risk it took to blossom.
~Anais Nin

pink-rainb­ows13226988271284 PostsRegistered 4/14/2006

Last edited on 12/13/2011

Last edited on 12/13/2011

SydneyH1322700856.73341264 PostsRegistered 2/25/2006

My mother attempted to cancel her account/page last Saturday, they are claiming it will not be 'completed' until Dec 10th! There's no doubt in my mind they are data mining and SELLING every tidbit they can.

-- Walter Bagehot

colliemom31322701225.7316156 PostsRegistered 9/7/2010

I just saw a story on tv about how Facebook is never private no matter what you set it to.

biffy531322704868.1434615 PostsRegistered 9/10/2007California dreaming

I saw it on twitter as will..and I don't know what I was doing there...also had a hudge block-up today that talked about it...showed me how to turn off...I went to settings..and followed directions!

Shorty2U1322754389.7914915 PostsRegistered 6/24/2007PA

How to turn it off? Dont post on facebook with cellphones. I post via my computer, and my location is not revealed. It seems to me, that only people who are on cellphones have their location posted (seems like its Iphones because I dont notice it when my daughter posts on her blackberry? but I do see it when my son posts on his iphone). I have to ask my kids then and see what they say.

Last edited on 12/1/2011

Last edited on 12/1/2011

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

Marp1322754870.33713480 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western NC
On 12/1/2011 Shorty2U said:

How to turn it off? Dont post on facebook with cellphones. I post via my computer, and my location is not revealed. It seems to me, that only people who are on cellphones have their location posted (seems like its Iphones because I dont notice it when my daughter posts on her blackberry? but I do see it when my son posts on his iphone). I have to ask my kids then and see what they say.

Last edited on 12/1/2011

From the article cited in my original post:

Now, every time you compose a post on a mobile device or desktop computer, you'll see a light-gray location description in the lower left of the status box.

Facebook sneakily grabs your location via GPS or Wi-Fi router, and attaches it to your post, so your friends can enjoy a more in-depth stalking experience.

BlueCollar­Babe1322756735.89710910 PostsRegistered 9/26/2007
On 12/1/2011 Marp said:

Last edited on 12/1/2011

From the article cited in my original post:

Now, every time you compose a post on a mobile device or desktop computer, you'll see a light-gray location description in the lower left of the status box.

Facebook sneakily grabs your location via GPS or Wi-Fi router, and attaches it to your post, so your friends can enjoy a more in-depth stalking experience.

Marp, you can just "x" it out or you can write in whatever you want. You can make your friends think you're in Paris if you like. {#emotions_dlg.laugh} Really, it's all about FB thinking we want to be uber connected to our friends. Me, not so much so I share very little. It's really not about stalking. There is a lot of connectivity with other sites you visit but that's about FB selling advertising.

sunshine451322759373.8341928 PostsRegistered 1/13/2007east coast and west coast

Last edited on 12/1/2011

that is exactly what i do shorty..... i dont need to post from my phone.....i just post from my computer and my location is not revealed on facebook or twitter. i dont get an avalanche of spam either and i am on both sites daily.

"When will our consciences grow so tender that we will act to prevent human misery rather than avenge it?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

chickenbutt1322760939.3324218 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown
On 11/30/2011 FrostyBabe said:

Interesting. I use Twitter quite a bit and have never had a problem with spam emails. I did set up a gmail account specifically for Twitter and the only email I get is notifications from the application. There isn't any way that someone viewing my profile even sees my email address. Perhaps your problem stems from the email account rather than the app? I'm not trying to make light of the problem you had....I hate spam bombing and I get ticked when someone says I must be wrong because THEY haven't experienced whatever the issue is. If you enjoyed Twitter, other than the spam, why not try setting up a gmail account just for that app and see if takes care of the problem?Last edited on 11/30/2011

Hi! I just figured it was Twitter because I've had that email address for a couple of years and never got a single spam. The day after I joined twitter with it I was spam-bombed. Yes, there were a couple emails from twitter, but the rest were spam from, seemingly, a myriad of places. odd. It's not a freebie email address either. Anyway, after that I have less interest in twitter than I had before. Thanks for the suggestions, though. It would be a good idea and I'll keep it in mind if I ever change my mind. :)

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

Page 1 of 1