Honored Contributor

I was wondering if anyone here has dealt with severe anxiety. I have a relative that is going thru such an awful time with it ----I don't know much about it other than using google for some info. She is going thru therapy once a week but from what I witnessed recently, she needs way more than therapy!!  Not looking for "cures" just what type of intervention there is--I need to see if I can steer her toward something. Feel just awful that I can't do more than be a shoulder to cry on.Woman Sad

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I've had anxiety / panic disorder and OCD since I was a kid but not diagnosed until I was in my 30s and I finally sought help.  

I've been in therapy ever since, but also take a combination of 3 anti anxiety medications.  Started with one and the other two added over time. I don't even want to know what my life would be like without these medications, but I can see why some choose not to take that route. 

I still struggle at times so it's not completely under control.  I had a potentially serious health scare a few weeks ago and could not get out of my own head.  It was torture.  Thankfully it was nothing in the end but I realized once again that I need to keep working on myself.   

Respected Contributor

Re: ? about severe anxiety

[ Edited ]

First, I'm sorry they're dealing with this. Therapy can only do so much so it's better to spend time and money on what can get rid of it once and for all. Have them find someone that does the emotion and/or body code (they don't need to be local). Another option (which is free) is eft (google/youtube nick ortner or brad yates).

In the meantime, some tools:

- turn off the news and all other stress-inducing programming (tv, movies, music, etc)

- music can be helpful - check youtube for long-playing versions (search for anti-anxiety or some such)

- lavendar essential oil is calming

- clean up any clutter and keep it at bay

- utilize color therapy (ie wear and surround yourself with blues/lavendars, stay away from reds)

- the blue sky reduces heartrate (if cloudy - google a pict or visualize)

- positive affirmations (i am calm, i am safe, I'm grateful that I feel at ease, etc)

I know there are other things but this is what comes to mind. Search this forum as this has come up before. Hope that helps and they find real relief soon.

Trusted Contributor

I forgot to add something else I've found that helps me.  Remembered after reading @ThinkingOutLoud 's post.   I have been using Osea Vagus Nerve Oil for about a year.  I just take a few drops in my fingers, inhale and rub on my temples.  Not a cure all but does help. 

Honored Contributor

@wagirl.  Some family member probably needs to express concerns to her doctor and let/him steer her toward the help she needs.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

I have dealt with "generalized anxiety disorder" since I went through menopause about 20 years ago.  I have done therapy, meditation, eating right and all that is recommended.  However, I also needed medication.  First time around I used Paxil with great success.  After 5 years, the anxiety/panic attacks went away. I was able to get off the meds.  During the pandemic, it came roaring back.  Why I thought I would get through a worldwide pandemic without my anxiety returned is beyond me.  I am back I. Therapy and doing all the right things and am taking lexapro.  It's really done the trick. My guess is that she may need medication 

Esteemed Contributor

I have a son who started to have panic attacks about 10 years ago.  He finally sought help and was put on some medication.  At first he had trouble sleeping when he was on them.  I guess he got over that and his medication was upped a few times.  Fast forward to over a year ago.  He ran out (because he never plans ahead) and decided to just go off them all together.  He really did not like how they made him feel.  He was doing really well for awhile  Then, a few months ago, he had a really bad panic attack, one that felt very different.  He actually thought he was dying.  His friends took him to the emergency room.  Our son told them to call us, his parents, but they didn't (for which I scolded them about).  Anyway, they did a bunch of expensive tests, which yielded nothing but a huge bill.

When my son was in therapy, the lady told him this kind of thing is hereditary, but we know of no other relatives that deal with this.  We did not know much about it.  He still won't go back on meds, and I am okay with that.  Who knows what years on those drugs will do to you.  But having a panic attack is no picnic either.

So sorry your relative is going through this.  It is way more common than you think.  Hope she feels better soon.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Trusted Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

I was wondering if anyone here has dealt with severe anxiety. I have a relative that is going thru such an awful time with it ----I don't know much about it other than using google for some info. She is going thru therapy once a week but from what I witnessed recently, she needs way more than therapy!!  Not looking for "cures" just what type of intervention there is--I need to see if I can steer her toward something. Feel just awful that I can't do more than be a shoulder to cry on.Woman Sad

Does she feel that something more is needed? 

“If you tell the truth, you don’t have to remember anything.” -Mark Twain
Valued Contributor

If she is in therapy it's up to her and her therapist to see if something more is needed.  I think you being there to understand and be a shoulder for her to cry on does help tremendously!  Speaking from experience that does a world of good for her.

Valued Contributor

For the last three years I have used an Apollo Neuro. You will have to google it to find info on it b/c sometimes I think I'm the only person who knows about it. I think they also do the oura ring, but I don't have one of those.

Despite the cost, I have benefitted from my Apollo. I'm not diagnosed with anxiety, but I don't really have to be to recognize some of the symptoms. I don't participate in the Apollo Vibes sessions, only the free modes that come with the Apollo. Right now I am running calm 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening/night. 

I describe the benefit this way: before I found Apollo I had a running undercurrent of feeling ill at ease, like something was about to happen, but I could not tell you why I felt that way. Soon after beginning with my Apollo, I no longer felt that undercurrent.

The Apollo works with the parasympathetic nervous system, so that it "communicates" through different vibrations/modes to "settle" (I guess) issues with the nervous system that we are not consciously aware of.

I suggest this as an aid. Not as a substitute for medical intervention when necessary. A tool. It has worked for me. I'm dedicated to its use.