Respected Contributor

Re: Question about colonoscopies

@NYCLatinaMe 

I think it might depend on whether they put you to sleep or not.  I had to have a driver sign a paper upon admission for when I was put under.

The other way, which is AWFUL, I could've driven myself I guess.  Either way, very uncomfortable for awhile.

I hope this helps.❤️

Respected Contributor

Where I go they won't let me leave till someone signs that they are driving me. Maybe it's not the same everywhere.

Honored Contributor

I have no way of knowing the answer to your question, but I can't understand why your friend would lie.

Honored Contributor

I have had 2, the surgi ctr where I go you could drive yourself there, but you must have someone you know sign you out, they prefer that you have someone in the waiting room the entire time you are in there. 

Respected Contributor

How do you know he didn't have another way home, maybe he called an Uber.  Why do you need to know?

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

Thanks @Nonametoday.  I am asking because my doctor wouldn't let me.  I am pretty mobile too, and honestly, I would take a cab, which my doctor wouldn't accept.  So I was very surprised.  Maybe this is a man-woman thing?  I look forward to hearing from others!

@NYCLatinaMe 

No, I think it depends on the facility where you have it, more than anything else.  Some facilities will even provide taxi/Uber service for you if you don't have a "ride."  At the 4 hospitals in our area who provide that service, one will allow you to drive yourself under certain conditons, the others expect you to have a responsible person but under certain conditions will allow Uber/taxi that they provide.

Honored Contributor

@Big Joanie wrote:

My husband was having this procedure .. and the man

in front of him had had a sip of coffee ... and they would

not do the procedure ...Didn't follow the rules ...

@Big Joanie 

The danger in having sipped that coffee is aspirating on your own fluids and dying on the table.

Honored Contributor

I have not heard of anyone and I know my facility would not let it happen.  On the other hand I told my SIL when we were picking up burgers in the drive thru I definitely could have driven myself both ways.  It was absolutely not a problem after I woke up in the exam room.   Just like getting out of bed on any work day morning.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

Perhaps he asked you to be a 'backup' and it is a misunderstanding?  If he wishes to keep his affairs private, just accept it.  I have been a backup and I actually don't recall if I was notified after the fact.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Usually it is because you are put under with semi sedation.

Some people do not come out of it very easily and others do fine.

My husband and I went grocery shopping afterwards. He was famished and he then went for a four mile walk afterwards.

My brother was fine as well. 

I drove both of them because it was required to have a responsibile person.

I wanted to sleep after mine.

My mother took 2 hours coming out of sedation. I drove her there and I waited in the recovery room with her and my father did as well. This was 7 yrs ago. 

Most of the time anyone over the age of 80 they can have a colonoscopy if wanted but my mother had it suggested by her doctor.