Respected Contributor

Leqembi approved for Alzheimer’s

[ Edited ]

Respected Contributor

Re: Lequimbi approved for Alzheimer’s

The medication slows the progression, but doesn't stop the disease.....

Respected Contributor

There have been brain bleeds and brain swelling side effects from this drug.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It is supposed to halt it in the early stages, not cure it. Sounds like a very promising treatment,  given the other options out there. Of course their are side effects when you are dealing with any drug that effects the brain. I guess people will weigh the risks versus benefit in their own personal situation. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Leqembi approved for Alzheimer’s

My husband was diagnosed with Alzheimer's almost 8 years ago. When I heard about the latest drug, all I could do was shrug my shoulders. First, results indictate it's helpful in slowing disease progression at the earliest stages. Take a look at the forums on the Alzheimer's Association website. You'd be amazed at how far gone people are before their loved ones admit there's a problem. In many cases, the patient is totally unaware of what's happening and refuses medical care. By the time a neurologist is sought out, this medication can't help.

No medical intervention currently available stops the inevitable progression of Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia. My husband has been on countless meds that "may help." One of them may have contributed to a stroke he had last year. Initially, when I saw stroke as the first possible outcome of the medication for my husband's extreme agitation, I told the doctor I wouldn't give it to him. After several months of horrible symptoms, I gave in but told the doctor I was worried about stroke. All he could say was 'This is all we have."

What I'm trying to say is that I don't jump for joy when I hear reports of approval for new dementia drugs. If there's a cure or if a treatment becomes available for giving patients a good quality of life for many years, not months, then I'll change my tune.

Esteemed Contributor

@Vivian 

As someone also dealing with a husband who has Alzheimer's, I agree with you 100%.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

I feel as you do, Vivian. I, too, no longer jump for joy, when I hear about new medications for serious conditions. We all have our different life experiences with this, and they shape our perceptions immensely. 

Wishing you the very best with your dear husband. It is not easy to care for someone with this condition, as you know. Aricept seemed to help my father the most, many years ago, but as you know, these drugs all come with side effects. I wish I had tried some kind of chelation on my dad, because it is stated in literature that aluminum is in very high concentrations in the brains of those with Parkinson's and Alzheimer's. Perhaps it is the aluminum (and even mercury from fish, etc.) that cause the amyloid plaques to form in the first place? It would be nice (and quite beneficial for sufferers and their families) to know which comes first-- metal poisoning of the brain, or the amyloid plaque formation? 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My dr told me thirty years ago not to drink soda from aluminum cans, not to use deodorant with aluminum, etc. We have followed his advice and avoided aluminum at all costs, and it is not easy to do. I think sometimes it is present in products and we have no way of knowing. My mother had some aluminum tumblers in bright colors we used when I was growing up. They were the first thing I threw out when I was emptying her house after she passed, even though they hadn't been used in decades. I am so disappointed that my initial post is getting such negative comments. No , this new drug is not a cure and has never been misrepresented as one. Any new treatment that comes on the market that Medicare is willing to pay for sounds promising for those who may be approaching the early stages. I would never give anything that may have helped my mother a thumbs down. She was in the very early stages when she passed from cardiac arrest. How I wish she were here to try this new treatment. My heart goes out to everyone who knows first-hand now insidious Alzheimer's is. The heartbreak of when I finally realized she wasn't sure who I was when I would walk into her room is something that never leaves me. Prayers to everyone who has a loved one you are loving and helping and yet it doesn't seem like it is enough. 

Respected Contributor

I wonder how many people could actually afford this drug? I did read about all the side effects and it pretty scary. There are other drugs on the market but I havn't heard about any of them making any difference.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

After battling Alzheimer's for over ten years with my mom, and following research, I'm leery about Leqembi becoming a major player, but it may be a start for the future.

While there appears to be clinical benefit, it is not a cure and does not halt progression of memory loss. There was a 27% decrease in decline of memory and thinking over 18 months. I think they studied 1800 people. So, it slows the disease, for some, but with potentially serious, or deadly side effects. 

There's high cost factor. If Medicare is going to pay it won't be sustainable. And most couldn't pay outright.  In fact, to qualify, there are strict qualifications with a considerable queue. The delay, currently, may make many ineligible if not still in early stages, when they would have qualified earlier. 

I'm not impressed with the fact that maybe someone could keep driving an extra six months, or manage their checkbook. That is just delaying the inevitable. I'm not sure I would want this even for myself. But I hold hope that the longer term results, of Leqembi, will open research to new possibilities. This is just the beginning; one of the first positive steps --- finally.