Honored Contributor

Concern about swollen feet and different treatments.

Hi Y'all. I am 3 weeks off of high dose of prednisone for ulcerative colitis. I have a lot of scars on both feet from orthopedic surgery and very uncomfortable. My primary care doctor prescribed 5 days of lasix  and potassium chloride. After 3 days, I had nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Prior to these two medications - no problems with the ulcerative colitis and I believe the problem was side effects of the potassium chloride but Doctor said not possible and problem with ulcerative colitis. Was told to stop taking medication. No other options were given for the swollen feet. I have been wearing compression socks, trying to drink more water and reducing salt. I have been trying to research more options. Anyone else dealing with similar problems but better solutions?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Concern about swollen feet and different treatments.

your "hi y'all" caught my attention. I'm in south Mississippi Smiley Happy

high dose steroids do all kinds of strange and unpleasant things to your body, including causing edema for some people.

you're doing the right things, and hopefully with a little more time the swelling will gradually go away.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee.  I think you need to consult with another doctor.  I once took Lasix but it made me cough non-stop so doctor switched me to Hydrochlorthycide which I've since taken for years with no side-effects.  Because these drugs do deplete your potassium but pills are ineffective, I eat a banana and sometimes an orange every day.  I get a blood test every 3 months to make sure everything's in balance.  So far, so good.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@SouthernBee- when seated keep your feet elevated, move as much as possible. Also, sodium is in a lot of food, naturally and processed. So, avoid processed foods.

I hope you get some relief soon.

Esteemed Contributor

High doses of Pred can cause you to hold water. A lot of people experience "moon face". Pred can also interfere with blood sugar levels.

You might have luck getting rid of swelling by taking a Vit B supplement, it will cause you to tinkle a lot. Take it early in the day. 

You can also try soaking your feet in an Epson salts bath to reduce swelling. Give your feet a good massage after or go for a pedi.

Honored Contributor

@MariotaMurielle : Thank you. I live in Georgia. Some people like my southern traditions. In the 80's travelled to Hawaii with several other single friends. We had so much fun and out and about people would keep us talking and trying to guest where we lived and we replied near Fort Benning , GA and met several Veterans that were in basic training.

@MariotaMurielle wrote:

your "hi y'all" caught my attention. I'm in south Mississippi Smiley Happy

high dose steroids do all kinds of strange and unpleasant things to your body, including causing edema for some people.

you're doing the right things, and hopefully with a little more time the swelling will gradually go away.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 : Thank you. I eat a banana every day.My doctor is two years from retiring. DH wants me to find another primary care doctor. I am dealing with a lot of changes, medical problems and other test.

Respected Contributor

@SouthernBee Sadly i dont have any advice. I am just sending healing wishesyour way!

Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal : Thank you. I elevate my feet as much as possible.

I am dealing with back problems and difficult to stand up and cook. I have to eat whatever DH brings home. If it is fried food: I remove the skin, if it is French fries - just eat a few or any other changes.

Honored Contributor

@Franklinbell : Thank you.I appreciate your kind thoughts and healing wishes.