Super Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

I would definitely limit myself to a 21" carry on and a tote.  Whatever would fit into those 2 items is what I would take especially with access to a w/d.  

DH and I have traveled extensively and although we have been to Italy several times, I wish we had spent more time there.  Being a "city" person and having been to Sorrento and Capri, I would spend a week in Florence!! 

Buon viaggio!

that's exactly what i am limiting myself to, and also my travel mates!!  

i think we made a mistake not staying longer in Florence, but we can also go back!! 

Rome will be the 'home base' for 3 days, then Sorrento will be our other 'home base'.  

we are using the trains to move around, so i don't want to be bogged down.  

I am keeping an eye on the weather!  

I am def. bringing a rain jacket, small backpack for everyday (Longchamp Le Pilage backpack, it folds up, waterproof and extremely light in weight, i think 6oz.)

baseball cap for the sun

1 or 2 pairs of sneakers

1 pair of  sandals

1 denim jacket, i think they go with everything - which i will wear on the plane

2 denim capri's

2 light weight hiking pants/capri - especially for bike tour

4-5 tops to go with everything - short sleeve, 1 long sleeve, this will depend on weather of course.. right now, low 70's day - mid 50's night.  but by the time it gets to that 'low', we will be in bed, haha

1-2 Columbia sundresses, they don't wrinkle and roll up next to nothing....

the washer is huge!!  no dryer, but we can wash end of day and hopefully be dry in the morning!!  

lmk if i missed anything!!!

thanks everyone!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: week in Italy

[ Edited ]

@hkrgrl Back in 2009 my son spent a semester in Rome.  DH and I decided we had to visit but first we traveled around Italy by train.

I want to mention that at the time I had one medium suitcase and one smaller carry on....getting onto the train on many stops there was a big step up and I found it a little bit of a challenge lifting my things up into the train.  DH of course helped. 

The Termini train station in Rome is huge and very confusing (to me).  Thank goodness DS was there to meet & pick us up!

Just a heads up on a few small things to look into.

Frequent Contributor

I would take a tshirt dress too. Buy a hat there (lots of selection especially in Amalfi) and a scarf or two to change up the look with the tshirt dress. I just bought a pair of reef sandals for a trip and they are extremely light weight and comfy to walk in. 

The denim capris may take a long time to dry without a dryer. Personally, I would take linen blend or very lightweight longer shorts. And a small hairdryer to help dry socks/demin etc if you don't have a dryer. 

You will have a fabulous time! Enjoy. 
You can buy anything you need or forget there. You will be in great places for shopping.

The day we spent in Pompeii in early June was one of the hottest days I've spent in my life! So a cooling towel would be in my bag. And we all diligently checked the weather and were not prepared for the heat. 

Respected Contributor

Sounds like an awesome trip! Safe travels!

Super Contributor
Enjoy your trip!
Super Contributor

@ByrdieK wrote:

I would take a tshirt dress too. Buy a hat there (lots of selection especially in Amalfi) and a scarf or two to change up the look with the tshirt dress. I just bought a pair of reef sandals for a trip and they are extremely light weight and comfy to walk in. 

The denim capris may take a long time to dry without a dryer. Personally, I would take linen blend or very lightweight longer shorts. And a small hairdryer to help dry socks/demin etc if you don't have a dryer. 

You will have a fabulous time! Enjoy. 
You can buy anything you need or forget there. You will be in great places for shopping.

The day we spent in Pompeii in early June was one of the hottest days I've spent in my life! So a cooling towel would be in my bag. And we all diligently checked the weather and were not prepared for the heat. 

We are going to Pompeii with a tour guide!  Very true about the denim capris!!  there are hairdryers in both AirBNB, so that will help!!  

i have Prana capris, very lightweight and use them on every trip. they cover the knee which is great for entry in some religious venues, so one less thing to think about. 

i have a scarf in my Amazon cart, $12, but big, so a lot of uses, & it folds up very tiny!!

to the other poster:  thanks for info about the trains, i am really considering bringing a smaller/lighter carryon just for that reason.  we are taking trains to:  Florence - back and forth, Naples, Sorrento and then back to Rome, so that's a lot!!!  

lots of good choices at TJMAxx and Nordstrom Rack for the carry on!  

Frequent Contributor

@hkrgrl 

As recommended on a previous post, YouTube has a lot of great travel videos with great tips. Travels by Laurie is one I also watch for good tips and product recommendations. 

You sound like you are set! Have an awesome time. Tell us all about it when you get back.

Respected Contributor

My BIL goes to Italy for work, usually with a couple of co-workers.  I would recommend the most secure/ anti-theft handbag.  My BIL ssaid pick pocket theft is so bad there.  Even one of his co-workers was victime to it.  Lost evetything, money, wallet, passport.  

Esteemed Contributor

Rick Steve's has audio tours of Vatican, Forum, Colosseum, Parthenon and Pompeii

( maybe more) available thru Apple and Android app. stores. They are excellent and I highly recommend.

Esteemed Contributor
I live in Italy part of the year. Weather is similar to here. Just be sure you have comfortable shoes, a lightweight jacket, umbrella. Go to the tourist info in Rome & Florence as there are many sights to see & an organized tour is the best way to see places of interest. All the cities you mention are walkable.