Super Contributor

Ciao!

going to italy for 8 days end of April into beginning of May.  We do have access to a washer in both AirBNB.

Quick itinerary:

landing in Rome for 3 days Florence for a day, Sorrento for 4 days .boat ride around Amalfi and Positano

bike and food tour

What and how many would u pack?

Honored Contributor

Re: week in Italy

[ Edited ]

Sounds wonderful!  I love Italy and have been there a few times....I follow Nicki Positano on youtube.  She and her husband live on the Amalfi Coast and just bought a house in Tuscany too.  It's fun to see her everyday life living there.

As for packing, I am the worst!  I'm going on a European  river cruise this summer and have been watching YouTube videos on packing for women and going through the airports, etc.  Lots of good information.  The one that I like is, "Travel Tips by laurie"  She travels a lot and has a lot of packing videos.

Enjoy your trip!

Respected Contributor

Casual is fine in  Europe...check the weather forcasts and check out the travel packing tips online.  Comfortable shoes a must!!

Esteemed Contributor

I've been to Italy  5 times and one day in Florence isn't enough. Also book entries into museums and Vatican in advance or take guided tours ( hop on in Rome is very good). 

Trusted Contributor

@hkrgrl 

Lucky YOU!

clapping chick.gif

Honored Contributor

I would definitely limit myself to a 21" carry on and a tote.  Whatever would fit into those 2 items is what I would take especially with access to a w/d.  

DH and I have traveled extensively and although we have been to Italy several times, I wish we had spent more time there.  Being a "city" person and having been to Sorrento and Capri, I would spend a week in Florence!! 

Buon viaggio!

Esteemed Contributor

How fun!  As long as you have a WD in each place, take as little as possible.  You will be carrying it more than you think and evading luggage carousels is the way to go.  If the travel between cities is by train, those platforms are loooooooong.

Respected Contributor

@hkrgrl 

I hope you have a safe and very happy trip.  My cousins and family just went for two weeks this past September.  They had a marvelous time.  

I wish you many blessings and fun!💝🌸

Respected Contributor

Well, probably you should check the upcoming weather reports to see how much rain is in the forecast for those dates.  It could be a tiny bit cool, so bring some layers and a light (waterproof?) jacket.

I like casual-comfortable for daytime, with excellent walking shoes with strong soles (Skechers), but I will dress for dinner as needed, so I always bring a skirt or dress and nice pumps or sandals (Summer).  Be aware in Italy many walking areas are on cobblestones and can be quite uneven.

Husband wears semi-pro bike outfits when he rides, but if you are not that serious, some good form fitting long bike shorts would be good. 

Add a hat and sunglasses, and perhaps a reusable bag for shopping. I am guessing you are not going to Pompeii, but if you do, be prepared for dust everywhere.

Don't forget to try the limoncello sorbet in Amalfi.

Buon viaggio!

Honored Contributor

Since you have access to laundry facilities, I would only take a bag that I could carry on board the plane.

It is way too much trouble to tote around heavy luggage and worry about it getting lost.

I went to Greece for three weeks and my luggage didn't arrive with me.  Thankfully, I had a carry on with a few changes of clothing with me.

By the time I got my luggage, I felt I really could have done without it.

Pack 3 pairs of dark colored pants, either one dress or skirt, and about 5 tops that would go with everything and a sweater.  Bring a pair of shoes and underwear and toiletries.  Wear your jacket.

Between what you wear on the trip and what you bring, you will have 4 pairs of pants, 6 tops, 1 skirt, 1 jacket, 2 pairs of shoes, a sweater and a jacket.  

Way more than you need.   You could even cut back further.  Leave room in your bag for the stuff you buy in Italy to bring home.