Respected Contributor

@Stray wrote:
I’ve always loved Barbetta and have been going there for years but I’ve not gone to NYC since COVID except for medical appointments. But, I love northern Italian, it’s not casual but not overly fancy either. I love Becco, Lydia B’s restaurant as well.

There are many nice restaurants in the theater district & Id avoid Times Square

Do you mean Barbuto??? If so, I agree, Great restaurant but it's in the Viilage.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor
@reiki604 - no Barbetta on W 46th. It’s been there since 1906 I think. I’ve gone there many years. Last time before COVID, it needed a facelift but food was still top quality.
Trusted Contributor
As a native New Yorker avoid Times Square. That is for tourists and those who hesitate venturing beyond there.
Trusted Contributor

Had dinner this weekend at Beauty and Essex. The food and drinks were amazing.

Stopped in at Juniors too, their drinks are double pours😁

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Honored Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

i'd avoid the overpriced chain food restaurants around Times Square and the theater district and walk a couple of blocks to 8th or 9th Ave. Those Avenues are full of restaurants that are fantastic and a little more pocket friendly although not cheap by any stretch of imagination.

Agreed!  The mediocre restaurants that I went to in NY were in Times Square & the theater district....plus I would skip the chains. 

I once went to Brooklyn diner right off of Times Square and it was expensive and not that great.  I went because I lived in Brooklyn as a kid and thought that this would be great...I was wrong!

Most of the time if you wander off the beaten track and end up in a small restaurant that is not part of a chain they are often very good.  If they weren't they would quickly be out of business since there are so many good ones in NY.

Respected Contributor

@Bookplate wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

i'd avoid the overpriced chain food restaurants around Times Square and the theater district and walk a couple of blocks to 8th or 9th Ave. Those Avenues are full of restaurants that are fantastic and a little more pocket friendly although not cheap by any stretch of imagination.

I could not agree more!  Definitely avoid Times Sq. eateries of any kind; just generic mall-type chain places you find anywhere.

One place near Times Square that we do like is McHales Pub

251 W 51st. Like Juniors too. 

New Contributor

Don't trust random people offering tours or guides, even if they appear to wear official government issued tourist guide passes. Be mindful of people attempting to scam you. Don't allow people to lead you to "a great restaurant" or a shop.

In Marrakech go to Riad Monceau and have lunch there. It's excellent and beautiful, the only place that we returned to several times. Skip the leather tanneries unless you really want to buy leather apparel, the place is dirty and smells horrible.

Other than the scams Morocco is a great and pleasant country to visit, I'm sure you'll love it!

New Contributor

Puerto Viejo

Sofreh

Yellow Rose

Estela

Oxalis

Respected Contributor

McHales on 51st Irish Pub one of our favorites

New Contributor

Re: restaurants in NYC

[ Edited ]

You need to reserve nice restaurants in advance.

edited to remove outside link

If you can give us a budget we can help with ideas.