Frequent Visitor

Visiting NYC early Dec.  need suggestions of places to eat for busy tourists.for theater district & Greenwich Village. Nothing fancy; just a quick place to grab a bite.

Honored Contributor

Just had lunch at Dallas BBQ.  Several locations in the city including Times Square.  Reasonable prices, good food, nothing fancy.

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50  I wonder if the Greenwich Village locations is open any longer, when I worked in the Village I used to meet my husband there very often

@kaydee50 wrote:

Just had lunch at Dallas BBQ.  Several locations in the city including Times Square.  Reasonable prices, good food, nothing fancy.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

i'd avoid the overpriced chain food restaurants around Times Square and the theater district and walk a couple of blocks to 8th or 9th Ave. Those Avenues are full of restaurants that are fantastic and a little more pocket friendly although not cheap by any stretch of imagination.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

If you want delicious Italian food , go to Carmine's Times Square.  I suggest a reservation.  Its always packed. You can make it on line. Its served family style.  Its very good.

Respected Contributor

Try not to eat in Times Square. The food is overpriced and not great. If you like cheesecake go to Junior's and enjoy a piece of cake. They also serve food. 

Trusted Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

i'd avoid the overpriced chain food restaurants around Times Square and the theater district and walk a couple of blocks to 8th or 9th Ave. Those Avenues are full of restaurants that are fantastic and a little more pocket friendly although not cheap by any stretch of imagination.

I could not agree more!  Definitely avoid Times Sq. eateries of any kind; just generic mall-type chain places you find anywhere.

Trusted Contributor

I'd say Carmine's too, but they only take reservations for 6 or more.  

I love Bell, Book and Candle in the west village.  It's American but they call it "American Creative".  They grow a lot of their vegetables on the roof.  

For Times Square area, definitely avoid any of the chains.  I love Don Antonio for so many different types of pizza or Playwright for burgers, sandwiches or seafood.  It's an Irish bar and has a lot of character!  

Trusted Contributor

Junior's has two Times Square locations. You can usually just walk in. I always stop in for a pastrami sandwich and a slice of cheesecake when in NYC.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Esteemed Contributor
I’ve always loved Barbetta and have been going there for years but I’ve not gone to NYC since COVID except for medical appointments. But, I love northern Italian, it’s not casual but not overly fancy either. I love Becco, Lydia B’s restaurant as well.

There are many nice restaurants in the theater district & Id avoid Times Square