Esteemed Contributor

Re: What US or international city was a disappointment?

Nashville, TN.  I was expecting better.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

After driving hours and hours, finally arrived at the famous Chateau Frontenac at 1 AM.  In the moonlight, it was exactly like the postcard pictures.

Our room was pathetic: had to put the mattress on the floor, the tiniest "closet" I ever saw ( even smaller than a child's closet ), and at dinner there the next night, the waiter was so embarrassed at the few strands of lobster that he stopped midway to placing it on the table and added the shells !

At the third visit to a mall, we decided to go home.  As one poster has mentioned: the cold, aloof populace !  Oh yes, I speak French and have a Master of Arts degree in French Literature.

Another hotel disappointment: the Chateau Fontainebleau in Miami.

That was me who posted that Quebec was disappointing. I've heard the Chateau Frontenac was disappointing and very expensive. I agree with your accessment. I wouldn't go back. 

Honored Contributor

New Orleans.  I am happy I went there, but won't be going  back.

I did enjoy the surrounding area like Lake Pontchartrain.  It is amazing and beautiful.

Trusted Contributor

@Meowingkitty Sorry, but I have to laugh. You went to a tropical climate, of course it will be humid. Anyone that wants to visit one of the Hawaiian islands should do a little research if you have an aversion to humidity.

The north shore is very wet. According to NOAA-NCDC data, the wettest place in the United States is Mt. Waialeale on Kauai in Hawaii, which gets approximately 460 inches of rain each year, making it one of the rainiest spots on earth. This is also why it is so lush and green.

We purchased on the south shore to avoid so much rain and humidity. Of course, it IS a tropical island so even the south shore can be humid in the summer. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

In US: LA & San Fran

International:  Freeport, Grand Bahama Island & most Caribbean islands I have been to

Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty You seriously didn't realize Hawaii would be humid?

Honored Contributor

@AZfem   Agree about the Caribbean.  Haven't been to either one in awhile but the only 2 I find worthwhile are Bermuda, which isn't really Caribbean, and Puerto Rico which at least has some history and worthwhile sightseeing.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kaydee50 yes history in Puerto Rico was interesting - the Fort was nice but I had a weird experience there. All of a sudden, a warm liquid started running down my head. Thought it was bleeding!  We were walking thru a park & everyone was laughing at me!  Turns out a bird sh-t on my head!  How many times do we walk around & this never happens but it did there!

In Dominican Republic, we were on a private beach with a box lunch. Close to leaving, kids materialized out of the trees & started going thru the garbage cans for our refuse. It was heartbreaking to realize how hungry they must be to have to do that. Gave one most of my lunch as I was on a cruise with 7 meals a day. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@Meowingkitty You seriously didn't realize Hawaii would be humid?

Maui was nice. Great weather, not to humid, same with Honolulu. Kauai was just miserable. It felt like we were sleeping in a baggie. I knew it would be humid. I think by the time we got to that island we were done with Hawaii in general and just wanted to go back home. Just to expensive, pretty and unique but no desire to go back. One and done. 

Valued Contributor

Paris. 

The Louvre was a terrible experience for me. I won't go into all the details but one problem was the people at the information desk that are suppose help were rude and not helpful at all. 

I did really like the Eifel Tower. That was beautiful.

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln