Honored Contributor

Re: What US or international city was a disappointment?

@sunsetbeach DH really likes Key West.  Not sure why.  It is NOT a beach town.  More boating and fishing and a LOT of bars!!!  Not my cup of tea either.

Respected Contributor

After driving hours and hours, finally arrived at the famous Chateau Frontenac at 1 AM.  In the moonlight, it was exactly like the postcard pictures.

Our room was pathetic: had to put the mattress on the floor, the tiniest "closet" I ever saw ( even smaller than a child's closet ), and at dinner there the next night, the waiter was so embarrassed at the few strands of lobster that he stopped midway to placing it on the table and added the shells !

At the third visit to a mall, we decided to go home.  As one poster has mentioned: the cold, aloof populace !  Oh yes, I speak French and have a Master of Arts degree in French Literature.

Another hotel disappointment: the Chateau Fontainebleau in Miami.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

New Orleans........I agree!

Trusted Contributor

Internationally, I'm never disappointed.

Recently,  San Francisco. I grew up in the Bay Area and it was such a beautiful city with lots to see and do. Now it's no longer safe and quite dirty.

Esteemed Contributor

Kauai Hawaii. Hot, humid and miserable. I live in the desert and don't like humidity. Everything from toilet paper to money to sheets was damp. 

Respected Contributor

@jlkz I think we stayed in the exact same room at Chateau Frontenac Quebec City! Can you imagine being that itty bitty room and having covid. 

The US city that most disappointed for us was Portland Oregon.

We just abandoned the trip and headed to Seattle. 

Esteemed Contributor

@kaydee50  and @sunsetbeach Totally agree about Key West. Prices were high; everything was crowded with people who were drinking A LOT (and I'm not a teetotaler); the Hemingway house admission was too expensive. We were staying on Marathon, and couldn't wait to get back there.

Honored Contributor

@AlsaceGal wrote:

Internationally, I'm never disappointed.

Recently,  San Francisco. I grew up in the Bay Area and it was such a beautiful city with lots to see and do. Now it's no longer safe and quite dirty.

Agree 100%!  SF used to be one of our favorite cities and we've been there many times.  Was there a year ago and a lot of has changed.  Won't be going back.

Honored Contributor

@kristina1 wrote:

New Orleans........I agree!

I can see why NO is not everyone's cup of tea but DH and I really like it, have been there several times and will probably be going back.  DH loves the WW2 history museum; we both love the food--great restaurants; St. Charles Avenue; the Mississippi, etc.

I do avoid Bourbon Street at night-what a sight!  And the street music has definitely gone downhill.  But otherwise, a unique city.

Trusted Contributor

@kaydee50 

We used to go about 6 times a year, mom would save her pennies and treat the three of us at Aliotos for crab salad and then walk to Chinatown. 
I'll be going back in early 2024 to apply for a visa again. Last December it was with my dear twin sister, she passed 4 months ago.