Super Contributor

Use a travel agent or do the planning yourself?

If you do the planning yourself, what research tools do you use?  I am an introverted homebody who feels the need to see some of the real world lately.  Have never taken a cruise or ship and kind of scared to fly.  So dipping toe in the water so to speak

Honored Contributor

Re: Use a travel agent or do the planning yourself?

@Helen Bach   Depends on where you're going and the complexity of your plans.  If its just a trip to another city, that's easy to do yourself.  You can read about cruises online and book your own but a tour through another country might warrant the aid of a travel agent.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Helen Bach How about looking into a train trip in the U.S. or Canada?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Except for cruising, we do all our own research and booking.  However, we are very experienced travelers.  You may want to use a travel agent.

Honored Contributor

DH and I have been taking bus trips for the last four years (minus pandemic) or so and love them. We've traveled with Village and Diamond Tours.

Been to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons, Mount Rushmore, Nashville, Colorado Springs, to name a few. Next year we're going to Albuquerque/Santa Fe, NYC, and Lancaster/Philadelphia.

Let someone else do the driving, hotel reservations, meals, and excursions planning.  Just sit back and enjoy.

We've also cruised Alaska and Hawaii.

Esteemed Contributor

I love to travel and since I am pretty experience with it now. I do my own research and bookings for all of my trips. Since you are new to this you might want to try a trusted travel agent.

Do you belong to AAA? Years ago they use to help people plan their trips,and I did utilize them. You are not required to pay for it all at once. You would put perhaps 1/3rd down and then break up the payments over the next year, but your trip must be paid for before you leave. Generally around 60 days beforehand.

Good luck and I wish you the best. Traveling is the best. 

Honored Contributor

I've always used travel agents.  Let them do all the work.  If there is a hiccup along the way, they take care of it.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I am a world traveler and have done both.  I have taken a few trips with Friendly Planet Travel.  They offer tours with small groups to many parts of the world at good prices....good values.

check out their website.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

I've always used travel agents.  Let them do all the work.  If there is a hiccup along the way, they take care of it.

@Mz iMac    Apparently you didn't read the posts by travelers on guided tours who with got Covid or were with others who did.  They were abandoned and strictly on their own.  No help from anybody.  Everything goes great until there's a serious priblem.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I'd recommend a two or three night bus tour to start. They're well organized and priced. You can stay by yourself or find someone to hang with, even if you're on the shy side. 

Just Google "Bus tours from your city."  I'd do it right after the holidays if you can -- while you're thinking about it. Either you'll like it or you won't. I've known wonderful people who just are not travelers.