Respected Contributor

Re: Starting to make my lists

@Sooner  I do the same thing. It's a great idea because I do have dressy outfits that I don't really like as well as shoes and I always bring them and leave behind.

The underwear can be washed during the trip and then discarded.  Replenish your unmentionables on return. I usually come home lighter than when I left...I then have room if I need to buy things that catch my eye.

Trusted Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

@GingerHead wrote:

@fairydogmother No packing advice, I'm horrible at it but if you use RetinA buy it there, it's cheap and sold OTC.

Even tho a pharmaceutical is OTC in another country, it's script here and Customs will snag it if you don't have a 'script for it.

I'd be cautious wearing a backpack while traveling. Keep a wallet, keys, phone, etc in a pocket if you can. Why women assume a crossbody is safe is beyond me.

That's probably true if they see it, but in the many years I've been getting RetinA from there I've never had customs confiscate it once and I've had the person who went there get me 10 tubes at a time before.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" -Immanuel Kant

"Once you have had a wonderful Dog, a life without one, is a life diminished"-Dean Koontz
Esteemed Contributor

I was in Thailand for a month & packed almost like you do but wore very little of what I packed. We were in Phuket & it was extremely hot. My husband, unfortunately, became ill & was in ICU there. That was difficult but found the Thai medical care comparable & even better in some ways than in the US.
Respected Contributor

I agree with other poster about Bagalini Everyday Crossbody.  I used to use a LUG crossbody.  Switched to Bagalini.  Better organization and better quality.

Respected Contributor

@Stray wrote:
I was in Thailand for a month & packed almost like you do but wore very little of what I packed. We were in Phuket & it was extremely hot. My husband, unfortunately, became ill & was in ICU there. That was difficult but found the Thai medical care comparable & even better in some ways than in the US.

that has also been my daughter's experience in the five years she has lived in Bangkok 

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

something new has popped up so I hope one of you can help me. We are flying Lufthansa. They allow one carry on bag and one personal item. The personal item is described by very specific measurements ( some other airlines merely say it has to fit under the seat). I had planned to take my Lug Gondola bag which definitely exceeds the stated measurements. How picky are they when I'm checking in? Will they actually measure the bag? 

Harmonize the World
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fairydogmother wrote:

something new has popped up so I hope one of you can help me. We are flying Lufthansa. They allow one carry on bag and one personal item. The personal item is described by very specific measurements ( some other airlines merely say it has to fit under the seat). I had planned to take my Lug Gondola bag which definitely exceeds the stated measurements. How picky are they when I'm checking in? Will they actually measure the bag? 

Maybe. Or maybe not. Or they may make you place it in a bag sizer. In my experience, airlines are much pickier on international flights than domestic, and non-US flagged carriers are pickier than US carriers. Do you really want to take a chance? Take a bag that fits their size requirements and you'll have one less thing to worry about. 

Edited to add: "only" one carry on and one personal item is standard across all airlines. Keep in mind that depending on where you are in the boarding process on any of your flights, they may run out of space in the overhead bins and you may be required to gate check your carry-on to your final destination. Unless you are seated in first, business, premium economy or have elite status with the airline that allows you to board earlier in the process, this is a very real possibility, and it's not negotiable. 

~Not a new poster, never been banned. Every time I take a break, I have to re-register for some reason~
Esteemed Contributor

Ditto above. I haven’t googled to see which Lug bag this is, but I assume it’s squishy and as long as you don’t fill it all the way, it may be squished into the sizer. Would also contact airline because you may get special allowances for the medical device (but I truly have no idea and just guessing about that.)
Respected Contributor

@fairydogmother 

1x Personal item

Dimensions up to 40 x 30 x 10 cm

(height x width x depth) 

- A handbag, laptop bag or shopping bag counts as a personal item. 

US = 15.7 x 11.8 x 3.9 inches

i cautiously think you'd be safe with 16x12x4 inches.  worst case they may have you stow the bag overhead.  

may have mentioned this before and idk which class or aircraft you are on, but i flew coach on Airbus BOS-MUC on Lufthansa and the legroom is extremely tight, i put my personal item in the footspace and i had to position my feet against the bottom rails of the seat in front, and alternately point my feet down, knees at 90 dg angle. Very Very tight.  so if you can keep just a few essentials with you in your seat and stow the rest you'll be so much more comfortable.

Also, avoid wearing jeans on the flight. i did that on return flight. legs swelled up. Agony. 

Regular Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

@fairydogmother 

1x Personal item

Dimensions up to 40 x 30 x 10 cm

(height x width x depth) 

- A handbag, laptop bag or shopping bag counts as a personal item. 

US = 15.7 x 11.8 x 3.9 inches

i cautiously think you'd be safe with 16x12x4 inches.  worst case they may have you stow the bag overhead.  

may have mentioned this before and idk which class or aircraft you are on, but i flew coach on Airbus BOS-MUC on Lufthansa and the legroom is extremely tight, i put my personal item in the footspace and i had to position my feet against the bottom rails of the seat in front, and alternately point my feet down, knees at 90 dg angle. Very Very tight.  so if you can keep just a few essentials with you in your seat and stow the rest you'll be so much more comfortable.

Also, avoid wearing jeans on the flight. i did that on return flight. legs swelled up. Agony. 

Lufthansa has one non-stop per day from ORD-MUC on an A350-900. Pitch in coach is just 31 inches and the seat is 17 inches wide. That's downright miserable for an hour. 8.5 hours would be pure torture. MUC-BKK is an A380 with a seat width of 18.5 inches, but pitch is still a miserable 31 inches. Nearly 11 hours of that is unfathomable. 

~Not a new poster, never been banned. Every time I take a break, I have to re-register for some reason~