Regular Contributor

Re: Starting to make my lists

@Snowpuppy wrote:

@GingerHead wrote:

@fairydogmother No packing advice, I'm horrible at it but if you use RetinA buy it there, it's cheap and sold OTC.

Even tho a pharmaceutical is OTC in another country, it's script here and Customs will snag it if you don't have a 'script for it.

I'd be cautious wearing a backpack while traveling. Keep a wallet, keys, phone, etc in a pocket if you can. Why women assume a crossbody is safe is beyond me.

Why, specifically?

I've been traveling with a backpack for years. Never had a problem. 

~Not a new poster, never been banned. Every time I take a break, I have to re-register for some reason~
Respected Contributor

I would not need a wheeled carryon if I was checking a large suitcase. On the plane I would have some kind of large tote.

A small crossbody would not be enough for me for a daily bag. I always carry a mini folding umbrella and want a strap or compartment where I can put it if wet. I also carry a bottle of water. Plus I want somewhere to put things I might acquire while I'm out.

I still have a 40-year-old black nylon purse I call my "perfect for London" bag. It works everywhere, even if I need an umbrella for blocking the sun in hot dry climates.

Honored Contributor

@Zwervend wrote:

@Snowpuppy wrote:

@GingerHead wrote:

@fairydogmother No packing advice, I'm horrible at it but if you use RetinA buy it there, it's cheap and sold OTC.

Even tho a pharmaceutical is OTC in another country, it's script here and Customs will snag it if you don't have a 'script for it.

I'd be cautious wearing a backpack while traveling. Keep a wallet, keys, phone, etc in a pocket if you can. Why women assume a crossbody is safe is beyond me.

Why, specifically?

I've been traveling with a backpack for years. Never had a problem. 

And I've been traveling with a crossbody for years without a problem!  Don't quite understand the original post.  Pockets certainly aren't big enough for all I need/want to carry.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

What airline are you taking? I’m going to assume you’ve looked at your individual airline’s specifications as many of the international airlines are far stricter with size and weight of carryons . I specifically purchased an international carry on and still needed to check it when I went through Seoul because of weight. I’m also going to assume, with 30 days, you may also be taking some internal flights. Does seem like a lot of luggage, but you do what you’re comfortable with. Nevertheless, one of the newest “must haves” for travel is the Apple Air Tag for your checked bags.

For me, the IKWIP bag looks a little small - but I would probably be lugging a camera with additional lens. What do you expect to carry with you?

Nevertheless, have a great trip!

Respected Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

Will you have a place to do laundry that makes a  big diffeence in the way you pack. I mean 21 pairs of panties verus 5 or 6 and such

yes our home base will be at my daughter's townhouse

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

To those who think I'm taking too much luggage: I have to take my CPAP machine and equipment with me. If I stop using it for the time I'm on vacation, Medicare stops paying for it and the costs would be 100% out of pocket. Unless my sleep doctor writes a prescription to discontinue usage which she's not going to do. I can't risk packing it in my checked bag. If lost, I'd be on the hook for several thousand dollars. Sure I could jam it into my Lug tote, but then I wouldn't have room for other things I'll need on my long flights. And I would have to carry that heavy tote. Hence the wheeled carry on luggage. Anyone have a better idea I'd love to hear it. Here's what I have planned for my tote bag: my medications, my 3-1-1 bag of toiletries, phone, chargers, a travel wrap, a change of clothes, compression socks, a book, water, snacks. Any suggestions on adding or deleting? 

we fly from Orlando to Chicago Ohare with a mere sixty minutes to make our flight on Lufthansa to Munich. Then Lufthansa from Munich to Bangkok.

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

other option would be to put the cpap and equip. in its carrying case and sling it over my shoulder. Carrying my lug tote in the other hand

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother   After reading your itinerary all I can say is good luck and safe travels!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fairydogmother wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

Will you have a place to do laundry that makes a  big diffeence in the way you pack. I mean 21 pairs of panties verus 5 or 6 and such

yes our home base will be at my daughter's townhouse

@fairydogmother Your daughter lives there?  What is the cost to ship things to her?  I used to ship things to my mother (she was only in Fl and I'm in PA) but it was so much easier than schlepping so much stuff.

ETA:  I don't think you're bringing too much...but that's just me.  Even for a week I stilll bring a lot of stuff.

Respected Contributor

Nice to have your own pillowcase if Lufthansa has pillows for those long flights. It then becomes a laundry bag during your trip and reverts to pillowcase for your flights home.