Respected Contributor

Question: Travel with Genealogy in Mind

Has anyone ever travelled with a genealogy angle to it? If so, what did you make time to do or see? (ie cemeteries, church/courthouse for records, etc). I've heard of people doing this type of thing but don't know what would be on the itinerary.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question: Travel with Genealogy in Mind

Members of my family have done this several times.

First do very, very extensive research.  Names, dates, home towns, cemetery and any record of local hardcopy.

It can help to know the language and locate local cousins.

There is so much online now.  Try ship records on both ends.  

Then plan your route.  Have a wonderful trip.

Esteemed Contributor

My sister in law has done and continues to do that.  But she is a huge busy body and gets very intrusive into the extended family of her husband (my brother.)  She has ruffled more than one feather, and frankly, it is yet another reason why I don't care for her.  She was adopted, and I don't think she ever got over that.

Personally, I know all I need to know about my relatives.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

I met 3 distant cousins online and guided them thru their trips to this area.  Both went to the Courthouse first and Historical Society house second.  

I urge anyone who is wondering what to do with the old family photos of great great grandparents, military records, etc., to donate them to your local Historical Society.  Info I documented in the 1980's helped my family members fill in many blanks and branches on their family tree.