Respected Contributor

Has anyone gone on a Mississippi River cruise?

Honored Contributor

No....but I'd make sure the water is high at the time of the cruise...

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

What exactly is your question?

My brothers and I purchased one of these cruises as an anniversary gift for our parents a while back.

There are several cruise lines that have various itineraries.  You can find the reviews on Cruise Critic.

This is a leisurely experience, and caters a lot to senior citizens.  Prices can be a bit high, as the staff is American, and the ships have small passenger numbers.

Overall one is enjoying and honoring the historic past of American river travel on these cruises.

Esteemed Contributor

We did the Mississippi river cruise with American Cruises a couple summers ago.  It's a nice trip with interesting history.   Some stops were in very small towns with not much happening at all.  The one we did started in Memphis and ended in Nashville so we did branch off to a couple of other rivers during the cruise.  The highlight for me was actually the add-on pre cruise which included a stay at the Graceland hotel and a visit to Graceland itself which I really enjoyed.

All in all I have done 3 cruises with American Cruise Co. and they are a bit pricey, I feel, for the service you get.    The European cruises are much nicer but if you want to explore the U.S. , it's a good option.

Frequent Contributor

Yes, we took the cruise from New Orleans to Memphis.  We've taken many European river cruises that we enjoyed & thought it would be fun to do ths.  Most of the towns we stopped in were quite small with not much to do, the food was mediocre, the entertainment was less than mediocre.  Very disappointing.