Respected Contributor

Re: Managing Non-Refundable Travel

I never purchase any travel that is non refundable.

Respected Contributor

American Airlines non-refundable tickets means that if you cancel the ticket you will not be given credit card refund. You will get credit towards future travel to be used within one year. You cannot change the ticket even with a price upgrade. It will require a new ticket and you cannot use the price of the cancelled flight towards the new ticket.

MY thoughts were: do you pay the non-refundable fee 7 months in advance of planned travel? Or maybe take a chance on booking the flight closer to the travel date. Or pay a premium price for the ticket as a safety net for any unforseen cancel issues. 

We had an experience when we had to change our ticket due to covid. The ticket was NOT changable. The ticket reverted back to travel funds and we had to purchase a new ticket. We did have insurance (another story/another time)

Our experience with insurance covering your ticket costs in case of needed changes is to read your policy. Most claims must be supported by medical notes, military orders or death certificate. 

Hotels often show at least 2 rates. The lowest price says non-refundable. The second tier at a higher price gives cancel option. 

I just thought I would just throw this out there for you travelers. Going with Tauck to Mackinac Island in July. 

Thanks for talking travel.............

Esteemed Contributor

This has zero to do with your original question, but I understood from reading another travel forum that military orders are not usually covered and people in the military need to purchase special insurance. I read this years ago, so maybe this has changed. Doesn’t effect me, so I have no direct knowledge.

I did later think that “cancel for any reason” insurance may cover for part of what you need. However, there’s the obvious up charge, but I also wonder if, even then, you would get back the cost of the airfare (at least some portion) because of the credit you’d receive! I’m going to a travel show in 2 weeks; if I remember, I should ask one of the insurance tables there.

I admit that I buy my tickets sometimes too early. I’ve been lucky, but Covid (and an elderly mother) made me start looking for refundable flights. As noted, sometimes the additional cost is astronomical (sometimes it blessedly is not). Is still new for me and there may be times in the future when I have to question the cost (especially vs a more comfortable seat). I do also track flights via the Hopper app. I know there’s more to it, but sites and apps like that may provide a gauge as to when it’s “better” to buy now or wait. It used to be better to buy domestic flights 95-120 days out, but with so many cancelled flights and continuous changes, flights are flying full. There’s the other usual answer of being flexible with dates for better rates, but that doesn’t work with a tour.
Respected Contributor

@Alter Ego American Airlines no longer allows price adjjustment if the price of your ticket goes down after it is purchased. 

We usually check a hotel price right before we go to see if it has changed and ask for adjustment. 

There are comments about getting travel insurance but like you said unless it says cancel for any reason it will not cover your costs. 

Travelers just have to adapt to these changing policies that are making lots of money for the airlines and hotels. 

Respected Contributor

I bought non refundable airline tix for my hs reunion in July. The refundable price was not in my budget. So now I have to hope and pray that nothing happens to mess up my plans. My health has been very iffy, with a number of surprise medical issues popping up in the past few months. My hotel will be no problem but the airline, welp if I get sick again or need surgery (which is now a possibility) I'm scr*wed

Harmonize the World
Esteemed Contributor

@fairydogmother  Given your reason would be medical, you should look into getting insurance (if you are already past a certain number of days, some conditions may not be covered. Usually 14, but varies.). Alternatively, some credit cards include travel insurance.  

Honored Contributor

We are going on a Viking river cruise this summer.  We opted to get travel insurance to cancel for any reason.  It's more expensive but worth it since you never know what could happen.

Esteemed Contributor

Travel insurance is expensive but a must. When we travel & not on a tour we purchase insurance from AIG. We did use the insurance in Thailand when my husband was in ICU & hospitalized a week. They paid 100% & even my transport to the hospital daily. They even had a person who showed up at the airport, took charge of our luggage & we went thru a special screening & no wait. You do have to provide medical documentation & in Thailand there was a person who was liaison to insurance companies & he faxed info to AIG daily. The check came two days after we returned home. I’d never travel without insurance.

We only tour with Tauck & purchase their insurance & if we stay later as we often do, we take AIG insurance.

It might be expensive but it’s a lot more expensive if you need medical care or be air lifted to another country.

We also pay extra for flexibility but never had to cancel. During the pandemic our tour was cancelled & the refund was in my AE account the next day.