Respected Contributor

Managing Non-Refundable Travel

Wow! So many airlines and hotels are non-refundable. Do you have a secret for managing these policies?

We are planning a trip in July. Fully refundable tickets are 2X the cost of non-refundable. Most of the time, non-refundable will be "refunded" in the form of travel vouchers but not always. Non-refundable also means that no changes can be made in the ticket. The ticket cost reverts to a travel voucher for future use and you buy another ticket at market price. 

So advance planning is necessary but life changes.

Travel insurance does not cover these travel change expenses unless there is a death, military, or confirmed by medical statement illness. 

A couple of years ago we were going to LV for a few days. The day before we were to leave, we had a surprise plumbing issue. The plumbing repair was not expenseive but the trip changes was costly.

Kids are going to Football champion games this week. Most major hotels in Houston require 2 night minimums and are non-refundable. 

I guess this is just the new world of travel. We use point for lots of travel and takes the sting off travel changes. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Managing Non-Refundable Travel

[ Edited ]

We have never had a problem cancelling hotel reservations as long as they're done within the prescribed timeframe, eg., 24 hours, 3 days, etc.

As far as airlines, they have always credited our cancelled flights for future flights.  Also no problem.  We have never been charged for changing our flights.

Not sure what airlines/hotels you use but we have never had a problem with United, American and Hilton Hotels and we have made a LOT of changes in the past couple of years!

I will add that special events like the one you mentioned in Houston, typically have different rules.

Respected Contributor

@granddi   with hotel cancellations, like @kaydee50   suggested make sure you let them know like three days in advance.  I watched a morning show that told the secret to not losing out completely on hotels with strict non refundable policies is to simply reschedule your stay dates.  They said as long as you do this within three days there's nothing they can do even if you move your dates more than once.  I'm not sure about flights though.

Esteemed Contributor

We always purchase travel insurance.  We have for many years now but it's worth it to us.   Of course the older we get the more pricey it gets but it's still worth it as we take fairly expensive vacations.   

Esteemed Contributor

@cheriere  Did they happen to mention if you could change hotels?  Now, this would only work for chains, but say your original plan was a trip to Berlin for a wedding.  You couldn't go and you otherwise have no plans to really ever go to Berlin. If I was planning to stay at the Hilton there, could I use the credit for a stay at the Hilton on Maui?

Otherwise, my only suggestion would be something the OP is already doing.  I'm not an expert, but I believe points are more flexible. 

Respected Contributor

Buy travel insurance is the advice I have seen. I have not investigated the cost. 

Honored Contributor

@granddi   I have never had those issues in all the years I've travelled domestically & internationally.  Must be the airlines & hotels you are using. 

I am lucky to live near 3 international airports (as well as several private airports) whereas I have the pick of the litter when it comes to picking out which airlines I want to travel on.

There are many different types of travel insurance.  Most have several tiers of payments depending on what you want to be covered for.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Alter Ego   It was on the Today Show.  The travel lady admittedly said you may have to be less than forthcoming about your reasoning behind moving the dates.  She didn't address moving between hotels though.

Valued Contributor

Have not had problems with cancelling hotels. Most hotels want 24 hours notice for cancellation. In Vegas, its 3 days in advance.  

What gets me its resort fees which cover wifi, using the gym. Its ridiculous because hotels need wifi for their staff & the gym is there no matter if used or not & most people don't use it.  

Some hotels in California & Vegas charge daily for parking even if your staying there & paying resort fees which, to me, is outrageous. 

Valued Contributor

if you read the fine print you will see that they have so many rules it's impossible to collect on it .