Esteemed Contributor

Re: London, England Hotel Recommendations

We always stay at the Langham.
Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Three 4-star hotel recommendations in three different London neighborhoods:  

1) Rembrandt - directly across the street from the Victoria & Albert Musem and the Natural History Musem

2) The Montague on the Gardens - near the British Museum

3) Roseate House - on the Bayswater Rd side of Hyde Park

I've had nice stays at the Rembrandt and Montague on the Gardens. I stayed at the Roseate hotel in Bath which was very nice, so I wouldn't hesitate to stay in any of the Roseate hotel locations. 
London is an amazing city. Have a wonderful trip!

Tips about London:

1) Transport

- The tube (tfl dot gov dot uk) is the most economical way to get around the city. The first time you go into a tube station, speak to an agent either at the window or if an agent (in uniform) is working near the machines. Tell them how many days you are riding and they will tell you the best pricing option to load on the Oyster transit card which they will give you at time of purchase. Pay as you go isn't always the best price, especially for kids.

Black taxi cabs -  If/when you splurge on a cab, opt for a black cab instead of a car service that is reserved via a phone app. The black cab drivers must pass a rigorous exam that demonstrates a thorough knowledge of London streets. They will keep moving using side streets (of which there are many) rather than sitting in traffic jams.

2) Tickets to buy in advance - if you are interested in the summer opening of Buckingham Palace or seeing the Churchill War Rooms, purchase the tickets online now to reserve your entrance time.  Tickets sell months in advance and paying for a ticket on the day means waiting in a seriously long line. 
3) Seeing Houses of Parliament for free - tickets to the Big Ben/Parliament tour sell fast. If this is of interest, you can sit in and observe the House of Commons from the gallery for free. Check the House of Commons/ House of Lords website for the day(s) in session during your visit.  The entrance is on Parliament Rd that runs in front of Parliament and behind Westminster Abbey. You will get to walk through Westminster Hall (where the Queen lay in state) and other Parliament Buildings to get to the House of Commons.  
4) Getting to the airport for flight home - the day before departure, ask the hotel concierge to hire a car for your trip to the airport.  I've found this to be the best flat rate priced option other than schlepping all of your luggage on the tube. 

Bon voyage!

Esteemed Contributor

Tony's House Hotel in Sussex Garden.  It's near a train station.

Valued Contributor

@JJ7189 wrote:

Three 4-star hotel recommendations in three different London neighborhoods:  

1) Rembrandt - directly across the street from the Victoria & Albert Musem and the Natural History Musem

2) The Montague on the Gardens - near the British Museum

3) Roseate House - on the Bayswater Rd side of Hyde Park

I've had nice stays at the Rembrandt and Montague on the Gardens. I stayed at the Roseate hotel in Bath which was very nice, so I wouldn't hesitate to stay in any of the Roseate hotel locations. 
London is an amazing city. Have a wonderful trip!

I second Tthe Montague on the Gardens.  Great location also near Russell Square.  Red Carnation Hotels has 5 or 6 properties in London.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@joann1218     We go once a year and always stay

at "The Clermont, Victoria"   Its attached to Victoria Station and is a couple blocks from Buckingham Palace and a majority of the attractions.  Easy access to the Undergound and pretty much everything. 

Also, get Rick Steve's London guide book.  Very useful and practical information.  I take an updated version each time we go.