Regular Contributor

London, England Hotel Recommendations

Planning a trip to London this summer.  I have never been there before.  Does anyone have any recommendations for a good hotel.  I am looking to stay in a central place of the city near where all the popular landmarks are.  Any tips about London will be appreciated.  Thank you.

Respected Contributor

Re: London, England Hotel Recommendations

I always liked staying in the Russell Square area.

Respected Contributor

Last time we were there in December 2019 we stayed at The Rubens at the Palace.  It is right across the street from Buckingham Palace and within walking distance of Victoria Station. 

Honored Contributor

@ninjawife wrote:

Last time we were there in December 2019 we stayed at The Rubens at the Palace.  It is right across the street from Buckingham Palace and within walking distance of Victoria Station. 

OMG, that's where we stayed decades ago!  Remember it being as a very nice hotel in a great location.

Respected Contributor

@joann1218 

There are multiple sections in London,  You mention central area, what sites are you going to see?

I'm thinking you mean Buckingham Palace, Tower of London area or you may mean museums?

Trusted Contributor

Not sure what you include in "popular landmarks" but just be advised that the major sites are distributed in several different London neighborhoods.  The most central ones tend to have the most expensive hotels.  My best advice would be to find a hotel near a tube station as you will be using it to get around.  Another vote for Russell Square as a starting point from me.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bookplate wrote:

Not sure what you include in "popular landmarks" but just be advised that the major sites are distributed in several different London neighborhoods.  The most central ones tend to have the most expensive hotels.  My best advice would be to find a hotel near a tube station as you will be using it to get around.  Another vote for Russell Square as a starting point from me.

This is really good advice! If i ever get to go, im going to remember this. Im not much of a traveler so im ignorantt and dont know if id thought of that, being close to public transportation if sites are spread out. Thanks @Bookplate !

Esteemed Contributor

Don't overlook the area encompassing Hyde Park.  Better rates and lots of subway and bus routes.  Don't think I ever starved for dinner either!  Shopping too.

Respected Contributor

@joann1218 have a wondrful time!  My compnay arranges my travel so I never get to pick.  It is always a Mariott property.  That is such a cool place to be!!  

Regular Contributor

Thank you for your replies. My family would like to Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, maybe Abbey Road, maybe go to west end for a play. Did anyone stay at Melia Whitehouse hotel?