Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone been on Carnival Paradise cruise recently?

Why on earth would you rely on the advice of strangers rather than just decide whether or not to go with your friend?

I sailed on that ship many years back, and had an enjoyable time.  I have been on many different cruises, different lines, and each has pros and cons.

But the best thing is to be cruising on the water with lovely sunsets, enjoying great dinners and fun entertainment, and arriving in interesting ports or just sitting by the pool all day.

People who have never been on cruises and criticize them have no idea what they are missing.

Carnival has had a lot of bad press recently because they are more of a budget line, and people were bringing drugs aboard, drinking too much and fighting, but Carnival has cracked down on this by instituting new policies, adding drug-sniffing dogs, and more severe repercussions (banned for life).  

RC is a very nice cruise line, but designed more for families.  Their new mega-ships are all almost sold out!

There are alway more illnesses in Winter months because the air is cold and dry, and germs spread more easily. September is a good month to cruise, but can be hurricane season in the Caribbean.

If you want to share time with your friend, go for the cruise, as that experience of togetherness is the priority in this situation.  You can choose a different line and a different ship next time.

Bon voyage!

Honored Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper Sorry but this non-cruise person knows what they are missing on cruise ships and am very happy to miss all of it.  

It is great for some people who enjoy those things, but don't knock folks who know it isn't for them.  No harm either way.

Esteemed Contributor

@homedecor1 - My neighbor cruises about every 2-3 months so if I see her outside, I will ask her opinion and see if she gives me positive/negative points.

I know she isn't a fan of cruises during school breaks as the kids run wild without parental supervision.

And, hurricane season doesn't end until November 30 - might not be such a problem depending on where you will be cruising.

Honored Contributor

It depends on where you are going.  I'm assuming that it is somewhere in the Caribbean?

In addition to checking out Cruise Critic, why not look on YouTube to see if anyone has made a video of their experience on that particular ship. 

I'm going on a Viking European River cruise (I know it's very different) this summer and I have been checking videos of other people's experiences.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@haddon9 I went on the Danube river cruise a few years ago. It wasn't Viking I think it was Avalon. Anyway it was fantastic. Saw beautiful scenery and stopped for excursions so we saw many places. I much prefer the river cruise to the big ships on the ocean. Been on that and won't do again.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ I'm also going on the Danube.  I'm looking forward to it and keeping my fingers crossed for good water levels and hope it's not too hot!

I've also done a few of the large ocean ships and they just don't seem like fun to me anymore....way too many people!

Respected Contributor

I've only been on 1 cruise, royal Caribbean and 1 was more than enough for me.

Honored Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper 

It has nothing to do with my friendship the question was about the ship. 

Cruising is expensive and since I've always been happy with Royal Caribbean I wanted comparison.  

RC offers "single" rate travel where Carnival does not.  Plus, I can't see myself for 7 days if it's subpar...friendship or not I wouldn't be a happy camper!

My friend will be with her spouse and we've been friends for 50 years but still I want to be happy with the experience!  

The reason I like cruising is exactly what you stated beautiful days at sea and sunsets!  I've been to most the islands so most likely I won't do too many excursions.

Respected Contributor

@haddon9  Yes, the water levels are important.  A friend went on a river cruise in October. They could hear the ship scraping bottom in a few spots. 

Can't remember where they were docked, but she and her friends decided to go to a ballet - which was not a cruise activity.  They got back to the port after the ballet and found that the ship had relocated to another port with a higher water level.  They ended up taking a taxi to the next port - about an hour away. 

Honored Contributor

@cindyNC wrote:

@haddon9  Yes, the water levels are important.  A friend went on a river cruise in October. They could hear the ship scraping bottom in a few spots. 

Can't remember where they were docked, but she and her friends decided to go to a ballet - which was not a cruise activity.  They got back to the port after the ballet and found that the ship had relocated to another port with a higher water level.  They ended up taking a taxi to the next port - about an hour away. 

@cindyNC One of my fears is going off and doing something on our own...we come back and the ship is gone!  Thank goodness your friend was able to catch up with the ship!