Honored Contributor

Has anyone been on Carnival Paradise cruise recently?

I've been invited to join a friend on the Carnival Paradise.

I only have heard "nightmare" stories about Carnival cruises and reviews aren't that great.

I usually cruise on Royal Caribbean but have not been in a few years. ( I have cruise scheduled on Allure of the Seas.)

Before I commit to this cruise I'd like some true opinions and feedback.  

Thank you!

Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone been on Carnival Paradise cruise recently?

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1,

I don't know when you are planning to go but The CDC said there have already been 13 cruise ships reporting norovirus outbreaks this year with hundreds being affected. These are higher outbreaks than a decade ago.

It sounds like maybe not such a great time to take a cruise?

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay 

June on Royal Caribbean

September is when my friend asked me to go on Carnival.

Thank you for your concern and the info.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1.  How about reviews on Cruise Critic?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

That's where I read the poor reviews.  Looking for "honest" reviews here.   I don't always think those reviews are the best on those sites since mostly they are "complaints".

Honored Contributor

We have taken 2 Carnival cruises--not on the Paradise and had no problems but this was years ago. I do remember the food as being very good.  However, is the Paradise one of those mega ships with 4,000+ passengers??  Would never, ever go on one of those.  We are 4 star cruisers with Holland America and their ships are getting bigger too.  We have been on more than 20 cruises but our cruising days are over for several reasons.

Trusted Contributor

Taking a cruise is one thing that I've never wanted to do!

I worry too much about rogue waves and diseases.

Respected Contributor

@homedecor1  It depends on a number of things.  How long is the cruise? Shorter cruises seem to be a more younger and party-oriented crowd.....think bachlor/batchlorette parties.  Also, if you are going during a school break there are lots of unruly kids. 

From what I read, the ship was built in 1996 so it's an older ship. 

We have cruised Carnival exclusively since it's the closest port (Charleston) and, admittedly, the food is not always great, but I can always find something. 

Norovirus - handwashing imperative.   Really curious on what you decide. 

Honored Contributor

I don't get them.  Why would you go on vacation with 10,000 others?  Never been on one.  When I go on a vacation, I want  a flight over to a nice hotel, ocean front and the ability to stay how long you want to. 

Esteemed Contributor

That’s disappointing - my entire post was deleted. I’ve seen others with links where the link was just deleted (and that was an obvious troll post!) Royal and Carnival cater to similar demographics.

Anyways, I asked the OP if she actually looked at Cruise Critic’s forums vs just the reviews. Sounds like it just came out of dry-dock, but there weren’t many changes to passenger experience. I see several positive comments, but an issue with staffing (long waits for bar drinks.) Since the OP knows Royal and without looking at Carnival’s website, I would assume it would be similar to one of Royal’s older smaller ships. They have their place. You can’t compare one of these older ships to a game-changing, iconic Oasis Class ship.

I personally just turned diamond on Royal and there’s not much reason for me to use another line (other than sister Celebrity for reciprocal perks.) My first cruise in many years was just on Allure in December. Love the ship, but couldn’t see much of it during the weekend cruise. Will be going into dry-dock later this year, as was skipped in 2020.