Esteemed Contributor

Yes @FastDogWalker2 !

I don't know if this is your first time to New York, so I will give some first time advice.

Wear comfortable shoes!  There is always more walking than you expect in NYC.  Nobody minds if you wear sneakers or other comfort shoes most places.  Just make sure you have a nice, clean appearance, no need to dress up.  It has been cold.  And rain gear may be good to bring, it's been rainy.  If you are coming now (Christmas), expect streets to be crowded.  I remember walking on Fifth Avenue my first time (a Thanksgiving weekend) and wondering what is that crowd ahead.  Manhattan is hilly, which is not obvious, so many times looking at a little distance, it looks crowded, in reality, it is just as crowded as where you are.

Try to go to the ES Building on a not too cold or windy day.  It is cold and windy on the observation deck.  But go regardless.  It is quite a sight!  Close to Macy's, and then the old Post Office Building, which is beautiful, so that can be a trip. Macy's and this area can be very crowded!  Watch your wallet/purse/bags.  Hold them close.

Of course visit Rockefeller Center and the Christmas Tree.  Area is hard to access in car, so lots of walking.  St Patrick's Cathedral and Saks Fifth Avenue are nearby, so maybe go on the same trip.  I recommend Saks even if you are not shopping, the store always looks beautiful.  Cosmetics are the same price as everywhere else.  Fashion prices moderate in the higher floors.

If you can, catch the Christmas Spectacular.  Get the best seats you can afford, pit or orchestra.  Worth every penny.  I used to see discount coupons everywhere for the earlier performances, the earlier performances are cheaper.  I don't know if the coupons are available any more, you may find them at the hotel or tourist venues. I wouldn't get coupons online.  I have been to the show a few times, and it is better each time.  No need to be a Christian to enjoy.

Make sure to catch a Broadway show if you can afford that.  You can get discounted tix for same day performances and next day matinees.  The official website is tdf dot org/discount-ticket-programs/tkts-by-tdf/tkts-live/.  You can trust that.  Substitute the " dot ", of course.

If you haven't, go by the Plaza Hotel/Central Park South area.  Pretty!  Tiffany's is nearby and you can pretend to be Audrey Hepburn.

True New Yorkers go to the Union Square Holiday Market (it's set up in a park with dozens of vendors) and the Bryant Park’s Winter Village, more al fresco holiday shopping and food.   You may see protests, don't be afraid.  I am not.

Not too far from the Union Square Holiday Market is the Flatiron Building, an iconic New York site worth seeing, Madison Square Park is a nice place to sit and eat at the original Shake Shack, which is in the park (outside).  The Park may have something going on.  Check their website.

Bryant Park is further north, opposite the New York Public Library, with the 2 lions in the entrance that have appeared in countless movies, so that may be worth a look as well.

The ES Building, Macy's and the old Post Office Building are between Union Square and Bryant Park -- to kind of map it out for you.

Check out timeout dot com / new york.  They have lots of great recommendations.

If you can make it downtown, worthwhile to check out City Hall, the African Burial Ground National Monument nearby, right across from the Federal Building which can be seen in the FBI show, and one more block east takes you to the front of the Courthouse seen in Law and Order and many other legal shows.  Everything looks better on TV.  To the North of that is Little Italy and China Town, they run into each other.  To the South of City Hall is Wall Street, which is a sight to see, the oldest area of New York, the buildings are large and close to each other so we call them Canyons.  To the south of the Financial District is the Alexander Hamilton U.S. Custom House (a beautiful building with a great Wikipedia page), which includes the National Museum of the American Indian.

Washington Square Park and Greenwich Village is what drew me to NY when I moved, but these neighborhoods are unrecognizable to me, so up to you, and how much time you have.  Lots of history.

For me, The Metropolitan Museum of Art is a must see.  I would set aside a day for that.  Lots of European and American Art, and the Egypt exhibit is the best.  They have a great store and special exhibits.  The Guggenheim Museum is a great experience if you can fit it in and they have a good exhibit.

Lots of holiday concerts and ballet, etc.  I recommend timeout dot com / new york to check options.

Have fun!

Respected Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

Yes @FastDogWalker2 !

I don't know if this is your first time to New York, so I will give some first time advice.

Wear comfortable shoes!  There is always more walking than you expect in NYC.  Nobody minds if you wear sneakers or other comfort shoes most places.  Just make sure you have a nice, clean appearance, no need to dress up.  It has been cold.  And rain gear may be good to bring, it's been rainy.  If you are coming now (Christmas), expect streets to be crowded.  I remember walking on Fifth Avenue my first time (a Thanksgiving weekend) and wondering what is that crowd ahead.  Manhattan is hilly, which is not obvious, so many times looking at a little distance, it looks crowded, in reality, it is just as crowded as where you are.

Try to go to the ES Building on a not too cold or windy day.  It is cold and windy on the observation deck.  But go regardless.  It is quite a sight!  Close to Macy's, and then the old Post Office Building, which is beautiful, so that can be a trip. Macy's and this area can be very crowded!  Watch your wallet/purse/bags.  Hold them close.

Of course visit Rockefeller Center and the Christmas Tree.  Area is hard to access in car, so lots of walking.  St Patrick's Cathedral and Saks Fifth Avenue are nearby, so maybe go on the same trip.  I recommend Saks even if you are not shopping, the store always looks beautiful.  Cosmetics are the same price as everywhere else.  Fashion prices moderate in the higher floors.

If you can, catch the Christmas Spectacular.  Get the best seats you can afford, pit or orchestra.  Worth every penny.  I used to see discount coupons everywhere for the earlier performances, the earlier performances are cheaper.  I don't know if the coupons are available any more, you may find them at the hotel or tourist venues. I wouldn't get coupons online.  I have been to the show a few times, and it is better each time.  No need to be a Christian to enjoy.

Make sure to catch a Broadway show if you can afford that.  You can get discounted tix for same day performances and next day matinees.  The official website is tdf dot org/discount-ticket-programs/tkts-by-tdf/tkts-live/.  You can trust that.  Substitute the " dot ", of course.

If you haven't, go by the Plaza Hotel/Central Park South area.  Pretty!  Tiffany's is nearby and you can pretend to be Audrey Hepburn.

True New Yorkers go to the Union Square Holiday Market (it's set up in a park with dozens of vendors) and the Bryant Park’s Winter Village, more al fresco holiday shopping and food.   You may see protests, don't be afraid.  I am not.

Not too far from the Union Square Holiday Market is the Flatiron Building, an iconic New York site worth seeing, Madison Square Park is a nice place to sit and eat at the original Shake Shack, which is in the park (outside).  The Park may have something going on.  Check their website.

Bryant Park is further north, opposite the New York Public Library, with the 2 lions in the entrance that have appeared in countless movies, so that may be worth a look as well.

The ES Building, Macy's and the old Post Office Building are between Union Square and Bryant Park -- to kind of map it out for you.

Check out timeout dot com / new york.  They have lots of great recommendations.

If you can make it downtown, worthwhile to check out City Hall, the African Burial Ground National Monument nearby, right across from the Federal Building which can be seen in the FBI show, and one more block east takes you to the front of the Courthouse seen in Law and Order and many other legal shows.  Everything looks better on TV.  To the North of that is Little Italy and China Town, they run into each other.  To the South of City Hall is Wall Street, which is a sight to see, the oldest area of New York, the buildings are large and close to each other so we call them Canyons.  To the south of the Financial District is the Alexander Hamilton U.S. Custom House (a beautiful building with a great Wikipedia page), which includes the National Museum of the American Indian.

Washington Square Park and Greenwich Village is what drew me to NY when I moved, but these neighborhoods are unrecognizable to me, so up to you, and how much time you have.  Lots of history.

For me, The Metropolitan Museum of Art is a must see.  I would set aside a day for that.  Lots of European and American Art, and the Egypt exhibit is the best.  They have a great store and special exhibits.  The Guggenheim Museum is a great experience if you can fit it in and they have a good exhibit.

Lots of holiday concerts and ballet, etc.  I recommend timeout dot com / new york to check options.

Have fun!

@NYCLatinaMe   

Amazing Review!!!! 

Now you got me in a NY State of Mind!!

NYC taxi neon" Sticker for Sale by rachelcmikowski | Redbubble

Occasional Contributor

I wish I was in New York!!!

Trusted Contributor
I don’t and I’m a native New Yorker.