Respected Contributor

Have you traveled to Cuba recently?

Group? I'm looking at Rhoads Scholars

Just Havana or surrounding areas too.

Travel Documents?

Money? Apparently US credit cards are not easy to use due to reinstatement of trade restrictions. 

Airline?

Thoughs and experiences

Super Contributor

Re: Cuba: thoughts about travel

Road (:not Rhodes) Scholar would answer all of those questions IF you decide to go to Cuba on one of their trips. My advice IF you decide to go would be to travel with a group and do your homework to make sure that the travel company is reputableand experienced  with travel to Cuba. Safety could be an issue.

Respected Contributor

I haven't been but it sounds like it is a very safe country. Your bank should know about your credit card. From what I have heard there are plenty of flights to Cuba from the US.

Esteemed Contributor

I have not but I have been thinking about travel plans for this year, and I thought about Cuba.

My niece went several years ago with a group of friends and loved it. The country, the people, the vibe for lack of a better word. The only complaint I remember her having was that everything is very old. So prepare yourself. If you are taking a taxi somewhere for example there is no AC.

This was several years ago when they first reopened for travel from the US. So some things could have improved. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I may be wrong, but I don’t think US based credit cards could ever be used there. I went to Havana when they opened on a cruise and it was cash only. Needed to convert cash at the cruise port.

If it interests you, then I think it’s definitely worth going. I obviously didn’t stay overnight, but like people said, it may not be the most luxurious accommodations. My recollections are old - LOL. I know when I went, I was able to use an independent tour guide. But later cruises needed to use someone government sponsored (if I’m remembering correctly - I know there was definitely a change.) Hotels and restaurants are probably related to the government as well.

And the famous classic cars are NOT comfortable to drive in!

I would do a group if I were an American.  You can't just be a tourist - I think you are supposed to fall into a ceetain category.  Now, I don't think this is difficult. I just think everything would be easier with a tour group. And a group going to a place like Cuba may be of more  "like mind" vs Europe, if that makes sense. 

I remember we had to fill out paperwork that states when we went, why, etc that we were supposed to hold onto. When I went for my initial Global Entry interview, they actually wanted to see it (I was one of the few people who actually brought it in)

Respected Contributor

I went years and years ago., but we went through Canada, not the US.

By the way @granddi

If you get covid there be prepared to play by the rules.   They aren't going to let you get on a plane while contagious like Canada did.

Respected Contributor

@Q-Checker Yes, ROADS, not my agent Rhodes. Tauck has a group but they have a day on a small plane. I don't do small planes. 

Thanks for your responses. All these travel questions are easily found. I was just wondering if anyone had first hand experience. This forum is always kind to respond. 

Super Contributor

@Alter Ego  You are correct. We were on a cruise to Havana and Cienfuegos and couldn't use US based credits cards. We exchanged money at the cruise port, also. 

I am so happy we had the chance to visit and would tell anyone to go for an amazing and eye-opening experience! Speaking with the locals was very enlightening. 

Funny you mentioned your Global Entry interview. 

The only places they asked me about traveling to were Cuba and Russia! 

Respected Contributor

No thank you. I'll be at home. If you have to ask all these questions and do a bunch of homework and travel in groups, that just doesn't appeal to my sense of adventure.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I went to Cuba in 2018 on a cruise with Road Scholar. We went to Havana, Cienfuegos, and Santiago de Cuba. We slept on the ship and toured during the day. This was one of the most amazing trips I have ever been on. The deterioration  of the building and infratstructure and the abject poverty was depressing and horrific but the enthusiasim, pride and focus on the arts of the population was mind- boggling. If you go, Road Scholar is a great company to go with. They have years of experience with tour guides that are familiar with the people and the culture. Go with an open mind and heart and you will be  amazed at the warmth and hospitality of the people. This is a picture of an elder whose job it is to sweep the square. She was lovely!

Image 1-6-18 at 3.42 PM (2).jpeg

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown