Valued Contributor

Saw this on "inside Edition" today. The men offered them 2 for 1 drinks then said they'd take them to the best area to find seashells.  They woke up groggy with the men above them.  Too trusting of strangers. 

Respected Contributor

I saw that travel warnings have been issued for the Carribean, Jamaica, and Mexico.  That doesn't really leave any beach tourist destinations out of the states.

Esteemed Contributor

Sadly this has become a real problem.  It's always been out there but it's getting worse.

It is such a problem for the economy on these islands you would think their governments would get a handle on it.  DH recently read an article regarding similar things happening on cruise ships when out at sea........workers are from all over so you have to be cautious even on the ships!   DS just went on a cruise to the Caribbean recently (against my better judgement)  and out of the 5 islands they visited, 3 of them had safety advisories.  He didn't get off the ship in those ports.  He was using it as a relaxation, writing vacation anyway.  He is slowy writing a book.   

Respected Contributor

We went on a cruise last June that had a stop in Nassau Bahamas.  Most do not get off the ship.  Bahamas put a lot of work and money into their new port.  I remained on the ship but my husband and daughter went to a couple of shops.  They were not gone long and said it looked like they haven't recovered after the pandemic.  

Respected Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

Sadly this has become a real problem.  It's always been out there but it's getting worse.

It is such a problem for the economy on these islands you would think their governments would get a handle on it.  DH recently read an article regarding similar things happening on cruise ships when out at sea........workers are from all over so you have to be cautious even on the ships!   DS just went on a cruise to the Caribbean recently (against my better judgement)  and out of the 5 islands they visited, 3 of them had safety advisories.  He didn't get off the ship in those ports.  He was using it as a relaxation, writing vacation anyway.  He is slowy writing a book.   

@LindaSal :  Sadly the same things are happening here at home .... 

Honored Contributor

I don't take cruses.  I just fly over and stay in the hotel/resort.  We were always warned at the hotel about things.  Well, and common sense.  Our stays are usually a week and we stay ocean front.  A couple of times my husband rented a motorcycle and we rode (and learned!) on the opposite of the roads. And we just drove around the island. I've been just around all the Caribbean and the British Virgin Islands.  Most beautiful and least amount of crime was Bermuda. Closest place to paradise! During our stay at a Mexican resort, I was warned about not walking out alone on the beach after dark. 

Respected Contributor
@songbird. I agree about Bermuda. I haven been there and visited Hamilton, St George, Royal Navy Dockyards, etc..many times!
Honored Contributor

Bermuda is gorgeous!  I haven't been in many years.  Back then we were deciding between Bahamas & Bermuda and our travel agent suggested Bermuda if  we didn't want to see poverty and people bugging you for money.  There was none of that in Bermuda clean & safe and I hear it is still the same.  I am going back in June.  

Respected Contributor
@Pecky..Interesting your travel agent said that way back then! Enjoy your trip in June. I’m jealous.. lol
Trusted Contributor
I have heard the security footage doesn’t match the story. The story seems to have dropped off the radar news wise.