Respected Contributor
There was an article today in our NY papers and (also on Network news) about 2 women that were on a Carnival Elation cruise that stopped in a port in Bahamas. They went on an excursion to a local beach resort and drank drinks in a pineapple and coconut at the Resort and resulted in being drugged and attempted rape by 2 men that worked at the resort. I know there’s been many warnings, but I never read anything like this. It’s a good lesson for all to learn from. Scary!
Respected Contributor

The U.S. has a travel warning for the Bahamas. High crime rate. Terrible what happened to these women. 

Honored Contributor

When I read the story, I almost wept.  

I was appalled that no one tried to help these ladies and tried to cover up the assault and not recover evidence, but tried to get them to destroy it.

They never even drank any alochol.  Their non alcoholic drinks were laced with drugs. It's a good thing they got sick and threw up, or they could have died.

Americans need to refuse to cruise to ports in the Bahamas.

I know I never will.

Respected Contributor

Terrible, just terrible. This was on GMA this morning.

Honored Contributor

@KKlim For me the Bahamas have always had a bad rep and you couldn't pay me to go anywhere near there.

Respected Contributor
As I mentioned, we have all heard about the recent warnings- but this somehow hit me differently as I have been on ( as well as many people) these cruises that stop in Bahamas ports of Nassau + Freeport. Wow, who would think that could happen while ordering a drink! Good lesson for all. Be careful everyone!
Honored Contributor

For years, it was Jamica that had the reputation of being a place to avoid.  Drugs flowed freely and were openly sold everywhere.  I doubt it has improved.  I know cruise ships avoided it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

The lessons for all travelers are "do your own research,"  and "make safety a priority."

First, the ladies are claiming they did not know the Bahamas had a travel warning, and they are blaming the cruise line.  Wherever you go, keep up with the news, and check the state department website.  YOU are responsible for knowing what is going on in the world.  You never have to get off at any port, and if you get off with a group, you will be much safer.

Next, don't go off on your own with strange men (or women) offering you drinks.  Tourists let down their guards and do things they would probably not do in their hometowns.

Yes, it is horrible what happened to them, and yes, there appear to be problems with the local police response, but the Bahamas are not the US, and you cannot expect the same level of law enforcement support.  Buy travel insurance!

I have been to the Bahamas and the Caribbean many times, and I would certainly still visit, but I would be much more careful due to the rising crime rates.  I also love to cruise, but when I am off the ship I take the same precautions I would as when visiting U.S. tourist places like NYC, New Orleans and Las Vegas, all with risk factors.

Respected Contributor
Thanks for everyone’s responses..Interesting reading all of them!
Honored Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper   While I 100% agree with what you wrote, in this case, the two women went to a bleach resort endorsed by the cruise line.

They didn't accept drinks from strangers.  The guys who assaulted them were employees at the resort.  They brought them drugged drinks, then led them off while they were drugged to look for shells.

Who would ever think that employees at a resort would do this on a beach in broad daylight?

It's scary.