Respected Contributor

Re: Any Issues With Layover Time Being Too Short?

Midway is a smaller airport, easier to get to different gates, but the valid connection time for any flight should be at least a 45 minute stop.  I usually prefer longer layovers because I would rather wait a bit than miss a flight.

Usually by the time you board they will know your arrival gate, and your next flight departure gate, and they will know how far apart they are.

You need to advise the check-in desk, the gate desk and the flight attendant about your short connection time.  Maybe they can let you deplane first, and maybe they can call a cart for to ride you to the next gate if it is too much to walk.

Are you carrying on luggage or checking it?  There could be a chance that your checked luggage does not make your next flight, either, if the workers do not have enough time to unload and transfer it.

The main problems are if the flight is too overbooked, they will give your seat away if you are not there, and nowadays they close the plane doors fairly promptly, so late arrivals will not be permitted to board.

Sometimes trying to get the cheapest flights is not always worth the effort.  I would rather pay a bit more for non-stop flights. 

Doing two connections just on a short domestic trip is a lot of work and a lot of aggravation.

Good luck!

Respected Contributor

I agree to let everyone involved know the situation, especially the flight attendents, they will help you just be polite and kind to them and they will do the same.

Respected Contributor

In 1999 we travelled overseas to see my husbands family, on the way back the flight was delayed so we had to run to our connection.  I kept telling my husband, if we are running what is happening to our luggage?  Well once we landed in San Francisco guess what?  No luggage.

We had travelled to Iran and I had valuable persian rugs so I was very concerned, they delivered them to our home the next day thankfully.

Hopefully your luggage gets to the connecing flight if you have check in luggage.

Honored Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie   I wish you much luck with your flights.  I understand about your husband but I would pay for a taxi and leave from O'Hare.  And I would not count on the flight attendants.  And you don't have a seat??  That probably means you will be stuck in the back in a middle seat.    Sorry, but just thinking about your situation gives me the willies!  Again, good luck and safe flights!

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

My son booked me a flight to Albany, Ga.  I'll be leaving from Midway Airport in Chicago with a connection to Detroit.  I'll have 31 minutes to get to that Detroit flight that will take me to Atlanta.  Two and a half hour layover in Atlanta before boarding a small plane to Albany.  I didn't worry about the 31 minutes at first automatically assuming the gate would be right next to the gate I'm deboarding from since it's all Delta.  Now, I'm concerned about missing my Detroit flight.  Should I be?

From a DL Platinum Medallion & Million Miler:

The minimum legal connection time at DTW is 30 minutes. You can make it, but you will have to hustle. Boarding typically begins 35-40 minutes before departure, and if you're not on board 15 minutes prior to departure, they may give your seat away. This is all in their terms and conditions and is perfectly legal. 

A quick peek at FlightAware shows that all MDW-DTW flights on DL are on CRJ7 aircraft. This is a commuter aircraft and there is a 95% probability that you will park at the B/C gates and need to take the escalator downstairs and go thru the tunnel to the A gates to catch your flight to ATL. If you gate check a bag at MDW (pink tagged, you leave it in the jetway when boarding at MDW), you will loose valuable time on arrival at DTW as you have to wait to pick it up in the jetway when you deplane. Don't do it! Check your bag if it's not small enough to fit under the seat in front of you. Standard rollerboard bags do not fit in the overheads on the CRJ aircraft. 

Do not count on, or expect the flight attendants to do anything to help you out. They may request that folks with longer connections hold back from deplaning to let those with tight connections off first, but it would be just a kind gesture, not part of their job responsibility. Additionally, unless there is a very large block of passengers who would miss the flight to ATL, they won't hold that flight for you. 

You don't say when you're traveling, but I just transisted DTW earlier this week. The moving walkway in the tunnel from the B/C gates to the A gates isn't operational, so you'll have to walk. If you have any type of mobility impairment, I would suggest that you contact Delta to ask for a cart to take you from gate to gate. This still won't get the connection held, but it may speed up your transit. 

~Not a new poster, never been banned. Every time I take a break, I have to re-register for some reason~
Regular Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

Yes, O'Hare has more flights but it's much farther away from my house and I didn't want my husband to drive that far.  To be honest, his driving on expressways make me nervous now.  Getting older has its problems, lol.

Well....I'll hope to make the flight but be prepared for a long wait for the next flight.  I'll talk to the flight attendant and hope she can get me off the plane first.  I won't know my seating until I check in.  

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Keep in mind that if you miss your connection, there is a very good likelihood that you will not be placed on the next flight. You will be placed on the next flight that has seats available in the fare class that you purchased, and that could be several hours, perhaps even a couple of days later. Flights are PACKED right now. I missed my connection in DTW last week due to a mechanical issue and nearly delcared a "trip in vain" to return to my starting point as there were no available seats to my destination for the next 3 days. Fortunately, I have access to the SkyClub and one of the angels at the desk was able to get me where I was going the same day. 

~Not a new poster, never been banned. Every time I take a break, I have to re-register for some reason~
Respected Contributor

i had a tight connection with Southwest .  JAX - BNA - PVD.  i believe was about 45 minutes.   SW left JAX late. i advised several flight attendants. fortunately the connecting SW flight was held for me in Nashville.   My name was being announced, final final boarding call. the gates were fairly nearby but i still screamed down the concourse. That was 20 years ago. i booked that flight myself, learned a lesson.   Direct Flights Only.

Honored Contributor

Omg @Zwervend, thank you for such good information.  I leave on Tuesday, October 24th.  I'm gonna check on mobile assistance as you suggest.  I walk well but not fast.  I plan on checking my luggage because, being short, I can't lift it to overhead.  So my luggage will be going directly to Albany...I hope.  I can deal with missing a flight for a couple of hours but not overnight.  Thank you.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper, and I will never do this again, lol.  But why would an airline give you an itinerary that is do-able?  I guess that's why I wasn't initially concerned.  🥵

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

Just jumping in to say good luck... It will all be worth it when you see your son!