Honored Contributor

Any Issues With Layover Time Being Too Short?

My son booked me a flight to Albany, Ga.  I'll be leaving from Midway Airport in Chicago with a connection to Detroit.  I'll have 31 minutes to get to that Detroit flight that will take me to Atlanta.  Two and a half hour layover in Atlanta before boarding a small plane to Albany.  I didn't worry about the 31 minutes at first automatically assuming the gate would be right next to the gate I'm deboarding from since it's all Delta.  Now, I'm concerned about missing my Detroit flight.  Should I be?

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

Re: Any Issues With Layover Time Being Too Short?

@Mmsfoxxie   YUP!

Timing depends where you are seated (1st class to coach), how crowded the plane will be.  It can take 15-20 minutes just to get off the plane.  Heck, it can take that long for the plane to taxi itself to the exit airport doors.

Delta is Atlanta's hub.  I'm surprised your son could not find you a direct flight.  From your posting you're taking 3 planes?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

l had a 30 minute layover at Phoenix airport to board a plane to Las Vegas for my son's wedding . To my dismay we sat on the tarmac for 20 minutes before we were able to deplane . l was so stressed , but others on the plane helped me get out quickly , got my bag and let me through to the front . Then l had no idea where the other plane was , asked for help ,was told to read the kiosk thing . l found the gate and ran on the moving tracks and got there just as boarding was finishing .  l wouldn't ever do that again !  Of coarse Phoenix's airport is huge and l was never there before , plus not much airplanes experience . 

Respected Contributor

no no nooo try to find another flight!  airlines aren't always so prompt these days.  those booking sites are confusing. i was trying to book a flight to CA from my regional airport. some of the itineraries had "1 stop"  listed. OK i think - stay on plane...nbd.  thennn when you go to book, it said change planes and you only have 30-40 min so i could see how this could happen.  

Honored Contributor

He tried @Mz iMac but on that date, he couldn't.  In hindsight, I should have did a different date but at the time my thought was that the gates would be closer.  I don't travel much.  Coming back will be easy...Albany to Atlanta.  Atlanta, all the way home.  If I miss that flight, it might throw my Atlanta flight off.  I say might because that layover is two and a half hours.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

@judianne, I'm afraid my running days are over, lol.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I certainly would be concerned.  There could be delays at Midway, the connecting gate could be a distance away.  I have never been to the Detroit airport but the minimum "connection" time I would allow is an hour and preferably a bit more.  It's easy to kill time in an airport but if the plane leaves without you, a bigger problem exists--LOL!!!

And there are no direct flights from Chicago to Atlanta??  I would leave from O'Hare.  I think Delta has a very small presence at Midway, it's mostly Southwest there.  We always try to avoid connections and one stoppers even if it costs more.

Respected Contributor

YES, another managable problem that airline refuse to fix.

I had international connection through O'hare of 45 minutes. When I asked airline rep: wow, that is not long enough. She said that is the schedule and it is within the rules. If you can deplane in a reasonable time, and are experienced it is doable. Any delays will be almost impossible. 

Consider:

Isle seat, front of the plane for faster exit.

Carry on vs checked bags

Pee on the plane vs airport rr?

Carry on snacks vs stop for snacks?

Check the airport lay out before landing: know your next gate.

walk, run or take tram system?

Having reserved seats means you can be at the end of the boarding process. That buys a little time. 

@Mmsfoxxie 31 minutes means haul your buns to the gate. 

Chicago-Detroit-Atlanta-Albany flight? Maybe there would be a better flight choice?

Esteemed Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie ... I doubt 31 minutes is going to give you enough time to get to your connecting flight.  That is assuming your first flight leaves and arrives on time.   Plus getting off the plane can take a while.  And you don't know how far apart the two  gates are.   But stranger things have happened.  I hope things work out for you.    

Honored Contributor

Yes, O'Hare has more flights but it's much farther away from my house and I didn't want my husband to drive that far.  To be honest, his driving on expressways make me nervous now.  Getting older has its problems, lol.

Well....I'll hope to make the flight but be prepared for a long wait for the next flight.  I'll talk to the flight attendant and hope she can get me off the plane first.  I won't know my seating until I check in.  

Thanks for the advice everyone.