Respected Contributor

AA passengers bring your own H2O

[ Edited ]

American confirmed to TPG on Monday that it's no longer serving a second drink service on domestic flights longer than 1,500 miles. The airline is modifying its inflight service proceduresat the urging of the APFA flight attendant union APFA "to limit customer touchpoints." An internal memo about this change was first leaked by Twitter user xJonNYC.

American is pausing the second beverage service on domestic flights in coach through mid-April, at the earliest.

That means that if you're traveling with American on long domestic routes, say from New York to Los Angeles or from Miami to Phoenix, you'll be responsible for your own hydration after the single service that flight attendants complete after takeoff. (You can continue to visit the galley to request an additional drink after the first service.

***edited to remove links

At first I thought it meant alcoholic beverages but other sites confirm all beverages. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: AA passengers bring your own H2O

At this point in time I wouldn't be surprised if airlines asked passengers to bring their own toilet paper.

Trusted Contributor

Huh...🤔 I didn't need another reason to hate American Airlines, yet here it is.😳🫦

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I guess I don’t take long enough domestic flights where I ever recall more than one beverage service. I do tend to buy something to bring on board regardless.

Wouldn’t work on some international flights. Ran across this in Argentina and I’ve heard this from multiple other international sources as well - they are doing final bag checks right as you get on the flight and take away anything that you bought at the airport. I’m talking after you’ve already gone through security. I had to give up my water purchased right next to my gate. I can’t recall if they actually open your bags (they don’t X-ray again), so maybe you could get away with stashing it in your bag while you board. But I’m an innocent little flower and didn’t realize this would happen to think of doing this in advance. 😊

(edit to add - this is for international flights specifically flying to the US.  Some people claim the US requires it, but that just seems silly.  Will be something to keep an eye out when traveling in the future.)

Honored Contributor

@Squirrels Are Trash wrote:

Huh...🤔 I didn't need another reason to hate American Airlines, yet here it is.😳🫦

@Squirrels Are Trash    I'm with you on that one!!!!    Flew AA once, on a non-stop from LAX to ORD.   Took over 24 hours!   I won't go into details, but THAT was an unforgettably MISERABLE DAY.    di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hmm, I guess the flight attendants want to sit and twiddle their thumbs during the flight.

I've long felt most in-flight customer behavior problems could be eliminated if they limited the alcohol to one drink per person. They aren't willing to forego profit from alcohol sales.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@Squirrels Are Trash    I'm with you on that one!!!!    Flew AA once, on a non-stop from LAX to ORD.   Took over 24 hours!   I won't go into details, but THAT was an unforgettably MISERABLE DAY.    di

Ugh! Not surprised at all. Solidarity!

Trusted Contributor

I don't want passengers bringing any food or drinks on board.   I thought that it was prohibited to bring drinks with you.   With as many confirmed and unknown people on the watch list and those who should be on the watchlist that have been allowed into the country unvetted, the mere thought of someone bringing an unknown liquid on board with them is FRIGHTENING.   And the number of air marshalls has been cut drastically.   

Fly at your own risk.

Esteemed Contributor

That's interesting but you know I always thought why on earth do they give people so much liquid??  I know you have to hydrate but jeez, then everyone has to use the bathroom and meanwhile they frown upon you getting out of your seat.........airlines have to be the worst run business in the country.  Everything they do makes no sense.......don't even get me started on the whole "boarding" fiasco.

Respected Contributor

Here's another reason: Passengers can no longer move to another unoccupied seat (after departure). You may be moving to a more expensive seat such as one that has more leg room, Window seat etc. If you wish to move you must ask attendant and pay the upgrade.