Respected Contributor

Re: 1st Time,Trip to Portland, Maine, in May. Recommendations

@Lilysmom1  The first vacation we took since Covid was to Maine, the summer before last and we stayed at the Harraseeket Inn. We had been going there for the past 20 years.

The prices then were reasonable. They were never cheap, but we love the Inn and the meals there were very good. It was always clean and well kept, a classy place.

They did not come in daily or change towels. We were there for a long weekend and just asked for towels, if we needed them.

It was fine that they did not come in to clean or make beds, daily.

They seemed to be a little understaffed in the dining room

for breakfast. Dinner and service in the Tavern was excellent.

I have always received their monthly newsletters and we were

informed that the owners were retiring and there would be new management. That happened in 2023.

It looks like now, their familiar packages are not being offered, they aren't including breakfast and there is a $25 resort fee. I don't know if that is per reservation or per day.

I wouldn't know what other changes to expect.

I read some reviews on Tripadvisor and some longtime patrons are not happy with the changes.

I hope that the new management pays attention to the complaints like dirty carpeting, and gardens not maintained.

Everything was always immaculate and well maintained.

If their past high standards are not maintained, they will lose patrons and anyone new, will not return.

People will not pay a high price if  the property is left to deteriorate.

My husband is going on 86 and recently had hip replacement , so we aren't planning  any trips. We live in a historical area, north of Boston, so there are plenty of local things to see and do.

Respected Contributor

@Enufstuff It is disappointing when the change in management results in a lower standard, especially when it comes with higher prices.

Great to know you are in Boston.  I will reach out at some point for info.  We haven't been in some time but would like to visit at some point.

Respected Contributor

Definitely take the ferry around the islands.  I believe it might still be callled the mailboat tour or something like that.  Many great restaurants and shops.  Take a side trip to Brunswick and Bath if you get a chance.  Great towns to visit.  And eat plenty of seafood!

Respected Contributor

Bring a jacket and a pair of NOT your fanciest walking shoes. May can be the tail end of Mud Season.

Great spring weather but just need some time to dry out.

Go and Enjoy Everything, just bring a pair of shoes you don't mind squashing around in,  just in case.

Trusted Contributor

Hi I am the one that lives in Maine. One of the things I wanted to recommend was to go to The Lobster Shack at 2 lights lighthouse in Cape Elizabeth.  It's maybe 15- 20 minutes from Portland. It's a beautiful drive thru Cape Elizabeth and the you can order from the lobster shack and eat right next to the Ocean. I usually take friends there when visiting.

If you are a shopper check out Mardens. There is one in Scarborough near portland and many thru out the State.  It's a clearance center with all kinds of interesting items. They do get returns from QVC and have lots of great shoes, clothes and other intersting things. 

Respected Contributor

@TurnerGal , that is where I shop for quilting material.

Trusted Contributor

@Lilysmom1  I love Mardens' it's always hit or miss but on a good day there are great bargains.

Occasional Contributor

I go to Tripadvisor for all my travel information.You  will see everything you need to know when traveling anywhere.People gives reviews about almost everything

.I also got to forums to see questioins people ask and the answers they get.

Occasional Contributor

Tripadvisor.com

Respected Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

Definitely take the ferry around the islands.  I believe it might still be callled the mailboat tour or something like that.  Many great restaurants and shops.  Take a side trip to Brunswick and Bath if you get a chance.  Great towns to visit.  And eat plenty of seafood!

I second the Mailboat ferry!  Great trip!  I believe you can take a train from Portland to Brunswick.  Both are great little towns with lots to see and do. Both have a tourist welcome office with lots of info.