Respected Contributor

Re: 1st Time,Trip to Portland, Maine, in May. Recommendations

[ Edited ]

@Starpolisher    You are very welcome. We have always enjoyed staying there.

In the summer, L.L. Bean has done weekly free concerts and we have been to a few. I don't know if they still plan on doing them.

Respected Contributor

@Starpolisher  Hi, I just looked at the Harraseeket Inn website.

I did get an email during this past year, that it was being  taken over by new management.

The website has changed and I could not find any rates listed. I always just called them to make reservations, and that is what I would do now, and ask if they offer any package deals.

I don't see any packages listed at this time. I know that they have offered them this past year. I still get their monthly newsletter.

I also noticed that breakfast is no longer included, but afternoon tea is. If they offer any packages, they may possibly include breakfast. I don't know.

They are now charging a $25 dollar resort fee. I don't know if that means, daily or per stay. That would be a question to ask.

They still have some of the same foods, but I see some ethnic foods added. Personally, I would think that people visiting Maine would like plain old "Down East Maine" New England

food. Check out the menus for lunch and dinner. The prices seem reasonable.

I have lived in New England all my life and where I live, there are fewer restaurants that only serve old New England recipes.

When wierd sauces, garnishes or hot spicy things are included, I just ask to leave those off my dinner.

Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of different ethnic foods and make many of them at home. But it can be disappointing to go to a restaurant that has been there forever, like 50 years or more and see such drastic changes. They have built their business on consistency and good food that people like.

When I want Greek, Italian, Chinese, Japanese, Mexican or Middle Eastern meals, I go to those restaurants.

I know that many older people don't like many ethnic foods, but I don't think that many restaurants are catering to the elderly anymore.

My husband is an 85 year old "meat and potatoes guy" and very picky. I have gotten him to eat more ethnic foods, but those are not his favorites.

It seems that at least one of the children of the most recent owners, may be part of new management. From recent news letters, I think that they are trying to entice some younger people. It had always been a place where middle age and older

seemed to be attracted to.

On the website, Penny is the only one, who I recognize from previous visits. Her brother Chip retired and it was his mother who grew the Harraseeket Inn, from a small inn that her parents started. I'm sure that it is still a lovely place to stay

but looking at the current website, I see changes.

Respected Contributor

@Starpolisher , I just took a look at Haraseeket Inn and they do list rates.  I took a screen shot of rates in May to give you an idea.  See below.

IMG_3519.png

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom1 

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this! I also looked at the Inn. We're also considering staying in Freeport. To tell you the truth, this is why I don't  travel. I find all of this and packing to be stressful. Thanks for all your help.🤗

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Occasional Contributor

I always use Tripadvisor for all my travels.You can find things to do,where to eat,hotels,etc.I like to read the reviews also.Go to more-you can see forum with people asking questions and you see the answer.I have NEVER gone wrong with finding information on this site.Do your homework ,as you want to see many things,as you may never visit the location again or you may want to take a second trip.

Occasional Contributor

Go to Trip Advisor.com for trip planning.Do your homework,so you will not miss anything inportant.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom1 @Starpolisher  I would never use one of those travel websites. I go directly to the hotel.

Those websites are in business to make money. I would expect to get a better rate directly from the hotel. Even in Bermuda, I book directly from the hotel.

I was looking at reviews on Tripadvisor and it was mentioned that a Standard room was $299. That is $100. less than what is listed from those booking websites.

Of course rates change with the seasons .

Respected Contributor

@Starpolisher   There is also a newer hotel in dowwntown Freeport. We met people who were staying there, and they liked it.

You could probably find it on Tripadvisor or just Google "hotels

in Freeport , Maine". I can't remember if  it was a Sheraton, Hampton or Hilton.

Respected Contributor

@RK from Miami@Starpolisher   Tripadvisor was where I originally found the

Harraseeket Inn, years ago. It is now under new management and some of the reviews that I'm reading  are not the best.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Enufstuff I usually book directly with the hotel as well.  I travel to Maine/New Hampshire area at least twice a year every year.  I  can tell you that, since COVID, the hotels rates have gotten higher.  You also get far less housekeeping service than pre COVID.  The hotels are trying to make up for lost revenue during the down time.  I actually prefer less hotel service providing the rooms are in good shape upon arrival.

Travelling in this area from May to October is the most expensive time of year, especially in the Fall.

Trip Advisor is a great resource as mentioned above.  The other option is to try Air BNB.  It pays to do your homework in advance.

Attached below is a screenshot directly from the hotel site for room rates mid May.  The rates are listed on their site.

I hope you enjoy your trip @Starpolisher .

IMG_3525.jpeg