Trusted Contributor

Re: 1st Time,Trip to Portland, Maine, in May. Recommendations

@Starpolisher Maine is one of my favorite vacation memories! The very first thing to do is book a Duck Tour for when you arrive in Portland. It’s a historical tour by land and by sea. It’s a great way to see the city and the lighthouses. And it’s so FUN!!! Then after enjoy all the cute gift shops and boutiques. You’ll find a treasure for sure. The handmade jewelry is one of a kind!
Trusted Contributor

And if you like seafood the fresh New England seafood on DiMillo’s On The Waterfront is absolutely delicious! We had a relaxing lunch on the boat after all our shopping was done. 🤗
Respected Contributor

@Starpolisher , I am in Maine now.  If you do stay in Portland, you should check out The Maine Mall.  If the link gets proofed just google it.

https://www.mainemall.com/en.html

Portland is only 17 miles from Freeport, Maine and 46 miles from the outlet shops at Kittery, Me.  If you do visit Freeport and like Thai food, you can try Thai Garden in Freeport.

Another great restaurant is Kobe in Biddeford.  It is a Japanese restaurant with a very wide selection on the menu to choose from.

There are many many places to shop between Portland and surrounding communities.  

You can use an online distance calculator to determine how far away shopping centers or towns are from your location.  I always load my GPS before I go which makes getting around easier.

Hope this is helpful.

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

@Starpolisher , I am in Maine now.  If you do stay in Portland, you should check out The Maine Mall.  If the link gets proofed just google it.

https://www.mainemall.com/en.html

Portland is only 17 miles from Freeport, Maine and 46 miles from the outlet shops at Kittery, Me.  If you do visit Freeport and like Thai food, you can try Thai Garden in Freeport.

Another great restaurant is Kobe in Biddeford.  It is a Japanese restaurant with a very wide selection on the menu to choose from.

There are many many places to shop between Portland and surrounding communities.  

You can use an online distance calculator to determine how far away shopping centers or towns are from your location.  I always load my GPS before I go which makes getting around easier.

Hope this is helpful.

@Lilysmom1 

Thank you so much! We're still trying to decide where to stay. My friend had booked us a room at, The Inn-St. JOHNS, in Portland(least expensive) but after further investigation, I found that there was no elevator and very narrow steep stairs! We both have knee issues so unless we can get on the first floor, with a private bath and two beds, that one is out. Do you mind telling me where you stay? Also, when driving to to other places, how hard is it to get parking? It appears it's very limited in downtown Portland. I haven't been on vacation in many years. The last time I traveled, I used a travel agent to map everything out!🤗

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Starpolisher We usually stay near Freeport.  This trip we stayed at Hampton Inn, Freeport.  If you stay in major cities, the hotel prices are higher than bordering areas.  With respect to hotel prices, I suggest you book asap because the closer to departure date, usually the higher the price.  If you go in high tourist season, you will pay more.

In the northeast, the most expensive time is the Fall as many come to see the Fall colours.  We always choose Hampton, Hilton or Holiday Inn Express.  Never a problem with these locations.

We never stay in Portland so can't comment on parking.  Parking at outlets and malls is normally free.

You could book your hotel and use https://www.hotelslash.com/.  On this site you register your reservation and they will check for lower prices and let you know if they find a lower price.  They look for lower prices at the hotel you are booked in.  If you use this site, be careful to check conditions before you accept the new reservations.  Conditions include cancellation policy, etc.  Make sure they suit your plans.  If you accept the lower priced reservation, you must cancel your original reservation.

When you make a reservation, you can also request a room on the main floor under 'special requests' if you want to avoid stairs.

Make use of hotel staff to ask about local shopping and places to eat.  They are knowledgeable and accommodating.

Bring lots of dollar bills for tolls if you don't have a transponder.  They are very plentiful in Maine.

Finally, travelling during the week is less crowded than the weekends.  We travelled this weekend due to storms forecasted and noticed a big difference.  Hotel prices are also better early in the week than later.

Tripadvisor is a good guide to use.  I always check the worst reviews for the hotel and believe those.  Nothing worse than staying at a place that is 'borderline' acceptable.

Have fun!

Honored Contributor

Portland Head Light in Cape Elizabeth Maine

65628467_afc30058b5_b.jpg

You can take the Amtrak Downeaster train to Freeport from Portland or all the way to Boston.

My favorite place in Maine is Ogunquit, Ogunquit Beach is beautiful. Kennebunkport is nice too.

Sadly the Marginal Way ocean walk in Ogunquit (which is spectacular) has been damaged by storms this Winter, they are hoping to have it repaired by the Summer.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

I've never been there, but the Portland Museum of Art is supposed to be good.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

@Starpolisher 

My husband is from Maine, born and bred. Our first date he took me to the Portland Head Light, then several others, including Cape Elizabeth...he took me on a drive to see beautiful homes there. 

Cross Jewelers there also had an incredible showroom featuring unbelievable pieces and gemstones, including Maine stones like tourmaline and Maine-themed jewelry. I think they're still closed since the pandemic. Check their website.

LL Bean is kind of cool, too

Have fun!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Starpolisher  We have vacationed in Maine many times and on most of our trips, we stayed in Freeport, at the Harraseeket Inn.

It is a smaller hotel and it also has town houses available. The Inn has an elevator. We did not go last summer, so I would inquire to make sure that the elevator is in service. It has always worked when we were there. It is a very comfortable and clean inn. You can look at it online. It is right on Maine St., a short walk from L.L. Bean. Parking is free, behind the inn.

They have packages and rates change seasonally or weekdays as opposed to weekends.

They usually include a buffet breakfast and afternoon tea.

They have a restaurant called The Broad Arrow Tavern. The food is excellent. I love their lobster rolls and their steaks. They make home made French Fries, like my mother made.

It is not usually full of children. I have seen a few teens with families, but not many small children. The inn is rather quiet.

They do have an indoor pool and in warm weather an outdoor

patio, where they also serve lunches and dinners.

There is plenty of free  parking for shopping, but you don't see it from the main street. There are large lots behind the two L.L. Bean stores, and also parking for the other stores and some street parking.

There is a great bookstore, Sherman's on Main St. on the opposite side from L.L.Bean, the same side as Harraseeket Inn, between the two locations. There are lots of great places to shop.

Behind Main St. is R.D.Allen Jeweler's, where you can find Maine gems, aquamarine , amethyst and tourmaline.

When we went there in 2022, I bought a beautiful watermelon

tourmaline pendant, set in gold. It looks just like a slice of watermelon. It is pricey, but rare. It was mined in 1972 and the supply is depleted. I only know of three jewelers who still have any available. You can look at their website online.

In South Paris, Maine is Creaser Jeweler's and I have bought Maine gems from them also. The owner mined and cut gorgeous amethyst stones, like purple grape juice. I got one of those last summer. You can see their website online and on Etsy.

While in Freeport, you may be interested in seeing The Desert of Maine. It is a naturally formed desert, just amazing.

I first saw it in the 70s and saw it again about 20 years ago.

If you like seafood, there is a place that has delicious lobster rolls and other seafood. It is Harraseeket Lunch and Lobster.

It is not in the shopping district, just up the road a little and off the main street. There are pamphlets available for visitors to find all these places, in many of the shops.

I'm sure you can also find menus online for the restaurants.

We love Maine.

Just a little North of Freeport is Damariscotta, a nice little town with shops, jeweler's, a few restaurants and Reny's store,

which is fun. They have an old fashioned soda fountain where you can get all the ice cream treats and drinks that were so common years ago. You can also get sandwiches and burgers.

It is like stepping back in time. My husband has to get an ice cream soda, everytime we go there.

In Damariscotta, there is another Sherman's Bookstore.

Such a lovely little town.

If you look on Tripadvisor, you can see what other restaurants

and attractions are in these towns and in Wiscasset. Wiscasset is about 30 minutes north of Freeport on Route 1. They call themselves, the prettiest town in Maine.  They have antiques

and other shops and a few restaurants.

We used to stay at a lovely inn there, but the owners sold it a couple of years ago and it is privately owned now.

Have fun. I'm sure that you will love Maine.

Respected Contributor

@Enufstuff 

Thank you so very much for taking the time to reply with so much great and useful information! This is what I was hoping to get! I'm going to look at the Inn right now! Thanks again!🤗

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran