Respected Contributor

1st Time,Trip to Portland, Maine, in May. Recommendations

I'm going with a friend to Portland, Maine in May. This is the first time for both of us. We'll be driving from NJ. I've  always wanted to see Maine.🌲 I'd like suggestions for places to stay, things to do and places to EAT!😋🦞🦀🦐

TIA, Starr 🤗

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Esteemed Contributor

Re: 1st Time,Trip to Portland, Maine, in May. Recommendations

I'm not much help but I've been to Portland Maine a couple of times.  It's a lovely seaport town with lots of shops and restaurants in the Old Port district.  It's been awhile so I can't remember names for you plus some establishments may have changed.  I always get information at the hotel we would be staying at.    We did stay at one right in the city.  I'm sure you will enjoy it Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

It's been a long time since I was in Maine so I'm afriad that I couldn't be much help. 

However I would suggest checking out TripAdvisor.  You can put in the area that you plan on visiting and see reviews on restuarants, attractions, etc.  Many will put in photos included in their reviews.

Esteemed Contributor

Take a walking tour (IIRC you can do it yourself) through Portland which includes Longfellow's home and some other interesting places. There were many artsy shops with talented owners/operators willing to give tours and/or share their craft and ideas. Love the bookstores, lovely old furniture finds, and pewter or sterling silver treasurers waiting for a forever home. 

We have a family home on Long Island and always enjoy the ferry ride which is the only way there. The ride is cold, so take an extra coat or jacket  if you decide to tour an island! And be sure to be ready for pick-up at the designated time since vehicles are not available on many islands and the ferry is on a schedule. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

I am a New England girl and Maine is one of my favorite states.  We actually looked at property there about five years ago.  Unfortunately it never came to be.  Prices for the area we looked at were quite high with limited homes to look at.  Wish I could think of restaurants, but just can't remember names and I'm sure many have changed.  We stayed with friends in the area.  In any event, it's a beautiful spot surrounded by water.

Trusted Contributor

Did you look at "Visit Portland" website for assistance?  

I've been to Maine a couple of times, but it's been years.  Ogunquit, Cape Elizabeth, Kennebunkport - such beautiful areas. 

I remember my friends and I went to LLBean at 2:00a because it's open 24/7 and we wanted to see it for ourselvesWoman Very Happy.

Have a wonderful time.  You will love it.

Respected Contributor

@Starpolisher We travel to Maine and New Hampshire on a regular basis and usually stay at Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express.  There are many locations throughout the state.  Best to book early.  

For shopping, check out Freeport and Kittery Outlets.

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

@Starpolisher We travel to Maine and New Hampshire on a regular basis and usually stay at Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express.  There are many locations throughout the state.  Best to book early.  

For shopping, check out Freeport and Kittery Outlets.

@Lilysmom1 

Thank you. If we stay at either of those hotels, how hard is it to go downtown and find parking? Also, do they both have free on site parking? I'm  exhausted, researching this. All the hotels downtown are so expensive! It's almost cheaper to take a cruise what with gas and other expenses. Except, St. John In-Town hotel, which appears very old. Even has some shared baths and one room without windows. Its in the heart of downtown but we want to stay away from that if we can! 

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Trusted Contributor

Hi I live in Maine, I would say look for a hotel in South Portland instead of Down town Portland. The hotels in Down town portland are very expensive and you will also pay for parking maybe $40 dollars a day.  You could uber in to the Old Port for the day.

I would also recommend spending a night on the way up in Kennebunk or Kittery.  Oquinquit is very charming.  

Not sure how long you are staying.  Camden and Rockland further up the coast are very beautiful and Acadia is also near Bar Harbour which is beautiful. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Starpolisher , we don't stay in Portland.  We usually stay in Freeport, Biddeford or Kittery.  @TurnerGal  is local so her advice is good.  The price of hotel accommodations in the area has really gone up since Covid.  Trying to make up for lost time.  The prices in Bangor are even worse than other locations which is a bit of a mystery to me.  My advice is to book as far in advance as possible.  If you plan to travel in the high tourist season it is worse.  Fall prices are very high.

When we stay in NH we stay in Merrimack.  No sales tax in NH if you have some shopping to do.