Contributor

Bendels had their own line of handbags which were the best,..and incredible customer service. 

Esteemed Contributor

@apt901 wrote:

B Altmans was always a favorite store  for me....back in my teens we would do the roundsof Lord and Taylor, Macy's  Gimbels, Ohrbachs, and B Altmans all  within  a few blocks of each other.  Sadly all except Macy's are gone.   

@apt901 - just before I started with my former company, I worked in BAltman as a nurse.   I continued a while after I started my new job because I loved the store and discount.  I worked in the neighborhood and was often at BAltman as a customer until, sadly, it closed.  I just loved that store, especially during the holidays.  I remember Ohrbachs for shoes & Franklin Simon was on the same block; I loved their coats.  Gimbals had a nice jewelry department.  I loved Bonwit Teller as well.  Shopping in the department stores in NYC was not just for shopping but an experience.  BAltman had wonderful employee on site heath benefits & Im sure the only of its kind. The store has an interesting history.