Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for May 2024!!!

@Spurt 

Yeah, JJ McCarthy may have the best chance of early success as he played in more of a pro-style offense with Michigan. Having Justin Jefferson to throw to won't hurt any either. Hockenson is a good TE for him. Aaron Jones at RB can take some pressure off the kid. Josh McCown is a good QB coach. If their o-line can hold up the kid has the best chance of early success. He may have landed in the best overall situation.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Even coaches get hurt......Mr. Handsomest Coach, Matt LaFleur, tore a pectoral muscle while lifting weights....he had  surgery and was wearing a sling at rookie minicamp......

This isn't Matt's first injury, in 2019 he tore his ACL playing basketball which also required off-season surgery.  I guess "middle age" is catching up with him at 44.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt 

Yeah, JJ McCarthy may have the best chance of early success as he played in more of a pro-style offense with Michigan. Having Justin Jefferson to throw to won't hurt any either. Hockenson is a good TE for him. Aaron Jones at RB can take some pressure off the kid. Josh McCown is a good QB coach. If their o-line can hold up the kid has the best chance of early success. He may have landed in the best overall situation.

@gardenman 

Washington admitted although Jayden Daniels was their first choice, Drake Maye was not their second choice, no, that was JJ McCarthy......Jim put him in the best position to succeed....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

JJ McCarthy is the most "pro-ready" QB of the group due to how Harbaugh coached him and where he landed. The Vikings have a pretty solid roster and good coaches to support him. He may not end up the best, but he has the best chance at early success. And given the speed with which teams give up on kids, being successful early is almost a necessity these days. 

Of the six teams that took a first-round kid this year, odds are two of them will be looking at drafting a new kid next year having already decided their current kid isn't the right kid and they can do better. The Cards did it with Josh Rosen replacing him after one year. The Bears did it with Justin Fields after just three years and he looked pretty good last year. The Steelers gave up on Kenny Pickett pretty early. There's just no patience to develop a kid QB these days. 

They used to argue it took three years for a QB to learn a system. These days they seldom get the full three years. Either the system is constantly changing around them, or they're pushed aside for a shiny new QB.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Former UFL Birmingham Stallions QB, Alex McGough, is taking on  a new role. Green Bay signed him last year, and now the Packers are moving him to WR instead of QB. 

McGough helped lead the Stallions to a championship a year ago and was MVP that year. He is quite athletic, has done training and should be suited for WR. I was impressed watching him play with the Stallions and hope he continues to do well. 

The Bills signed WR Chase Claypool to a one year contract. He has had problems with other teams, maybe this will be a better situation. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw 

Wow just second time I've heard San Antonio's UFL team mentioned during local SPORTS news.....Maybe they'll do that more since the Spurs season has ended since they are not in the NBA playoffs 🤷‍♀️....I'll say one thing, Wade Phillips is still a good coach he has them playing well...One thing mentioned, despite his age 76, he relates well to young players 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman @teganslaw 

I Think Sam Howell would have been a decent QB if he had had a different OC who would have run the ball more, ran plays that would have helped cover up the weakiest part of the oline, utilized Terry McLaurin more, taken advantage of Sam's mobile abilities by using roll out plays, utilizing read-option and scrambling more when plays broke down.  Sam displayed good leadership skills (even took time to give encouragement to Rookie Emmanuel Forbes, who was having a bad yr), he took correction well and tried to learn from his mistakes.....EB ruined his development!

Sadly things don't look so good in Seattle for Sam either

---His head coach is a defensive minded coach from the Ravens, Mike MacDonald 

OC is Ryan Grubb first yr as OC in the NFL, he was OC Univ Of Washington as an OC

Offensive Assistant is also brand new, Chuckie Keeton, He was hired as QB Coach at Montana State in January 2024 and spent the 2023 season as an offensive analyst at Marshall.

Sam's only hope is Quarterback Coach Charles London, he worked for the Titans, for the second time in his career in 2023, this as the pass game coordinator/quarterbacks coach after spending two seasons (2021-22) as quarterbacks coach with the Atlanta Falcons, 15 yrs total coaching experience in the NFL.

There's Jake Peetz, Offensive Passing Game Coordinator, 2 seasons with the Rams, 14 yrs experience with the NFL....

GOOD LUCK SAM, you'll need it!

Honored Contributor

This is pretty scary, I hope Jayden's career does not end up like RGIII...

Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

Those numbers are eerily similar. We'll never know how good RGIII could have been if things had worked out differently for him. I'd like to see Daniels do well, but the odds aren't great for a rookie QB.

In general, head coaches with a defensive background aren't the best at developing QBs. Dan Quinn inherited Matt Ryan in Atlanta who was already a good, proven NFL QB. Can he build a kid into an NFL QB? Kliff Kingsbury has been around a ton of great QBs, many of whom wanted to kill him. Were they good because of him, or despite him? Tavita Pritchard, the Commander's QB coach has been around a few good QBs.

We'll have to see how things play out. Dan Quinn has never had to build a QB from scratch as an NFL head coach. He's typically walked into situations where one's already there. Can he do it? We'll have to see.

If anyone's interested in some behind-the-scenes of what happens in the draft, the Eagles posted the first episode of their "Unscripted" series showing the predraft and draft process. You can see some of their predraft talks with the guys they ended up drafting. You can hear the scouts talk about the guys they want (their red-star players, five of whom the Eagles drafted.)  Their amazement when the run on offensive players drops their top defensive guy in their lap. You get to see them trying to move up with Carolina to get pick 39, only to get outbid by the Rams. Then their fear that the Rams would take Cooper DeJean and their amazement when they don't. Then the rush to the phone to finalize the pending trade with the Commanders so the Eagles could get DeJean. You see Howie targeting Ainais Smith and Jeremiah Trotter Jr, later in the draft. It's a pretty neat look behind the scenes.

The Eagles are already signing their kids to contracts. WR Johnny Wilson and guard Trevor Keegan have already signed. It's not hard to get guys signed these days with the rookie wage scale largely defining the precise contracts kids will get. The rest of the guys will sign in short order. There's very little drama in getting kids signed these days.

A few of the Eagles vets have been hanging out for the rookie camp to get an eye on their future teammates. I think the Eagles brought in a total of forty-some guys between draft picks, undrafted free agents, tryout kids, and some unemployed NFL vets for the rookie camp.

As a fan, we just get a glimpse or two of the guys now on film, but the little I've seen of Johnny Wilson has me intrigued. He moves like a little guy despite being 6'-6" or 6'-7" depending on who you listen to. They've released a few clips of him running drills and typically the bigger guys will have straight-line speed, but lumber in the shiftier parts of the drills. He doesn't lumber. He's just fast and smooth in everything so far. He holds his speed in tight turns and breaks. He just looks like a good receiver who happens to be a giant. Can he translate that to the field in game action? We'll find out in training camp.

I think May 20th is the next big date for Eagles fans. That's when the whole team gets together for a minicamp. You'll get to see the kids against the vets a little bit then. It's more of an accurate measuring stick. I think the last organized activity ends in mid-June then nothing until training camp. It'll be an interesting year.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt 

Those numbers are eerily similar. We'll never know how good RGIII could have been if things had worked out differently for him. I'd like to see Daniels do well, but the odds aren't great for a rookie QB.

In general, head coaches with a defensive background aren't the best at developing QBs. Dan Quinn inherited Matt Ryan in Atlanta who was already a good, proven NFL QB. Can he build a kid into an NFL QB? Kliff Kingsbury has been around a ton of great QBs, many of whom wanted to kill him. Were they good because of him, or despite him? Tavita Pritchard, the Commander's QB coach has been around a few good QBs.

We'll have to see how things play out. Dan Quinn has never had to build a QB from scratch as an NFL head coach. He's typically walked into situations where one's already there. Can he do it? We'll have to see.

@gardenman 

Well the problem with RGMe....errr....RGIII fancied himself as another Aaron Rodgers and tried to dictate to both Mike Shanahan and Jay Gruden, that he wanted to run only the plays HE wanted to run, Dan Snyder backed him up on this...Also, he insisted on playing with injuries he shouldn't have played with,(was afraid he'd lose his starting job) but the injuries were made worse by playing, he wasn't the same after that, got benched by both coaches, Shanahan got fired, Gruden went with Kirk Cousins and RGMe was cut by the Redskins, he played for Browns, Ravens also cut by both those teams.....His ego got in the way which caused his demise.....Hopefully, Jayden Daniels follows the lead of his coaches.....