Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for March 2024!!!

[ Edited ]

DALLAS MADE A MOVE IN FREE AGENCY!!!!!....wait for it, wait for it.....they signed their Long Snapper, Trent Sieg.....I bet Cowboys fans are just thrilled 🤠

But they are involved in non-free agent "deals"--- .....Dak's involved in an "extortion lawsuit" and Jerry's involved in a paternity lawsuit and is required to take a DNA test.....different strokes for different teams...HERE WE GO!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 @gardenman @teganslaw 

Well Derrick Henry may have been house hunting in Texas.....BUT he winds up signing with THE RAVENS.. it's a two-year, $16 million deal worth up to $20 million, including $9 million fully guaranteed in the first year...Woman Very Happy 

@sunshine45 

How do you feel about this deal?

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

The Colts re signed P Rigoberto Sanchez to a three year deal. They're pushing to keep Kenny Moore, but that's not imminent according to Stampede Blue. 

I won't miss Derrick Henry. I'm glad he went to a different division. Let the AFC North deal with him. 

Patrick Queen to the Steelers is interesting.The AFC North is competitive, and this makes it more so.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw 

Agree, Patrick Queen is a good pickup for the Steelers, we will have to wait and see if Russell Wilson works well with the Steeler's offensive scheme and the weapons they have. It looks like they plan to keep Pickett as well.

The Steelers are looking for competition at their QB spot, quarterback spot, but believe Pickett has the talent needed to win the starting job. Their hope is that Wilson adds a veteran mentor for Pickett, and is a reliable backup in case they need to turn to him during the season. The team believes both quarterbacks can carry them to the postseason. 

With a new offensive coordinator and plenty of weapons around them, either QB  should shine in the Steelers' offense this season. That competition will open up once OTAs and mini camp begin, and it'll be interesting to see who takes the first snaps with the starters. 

And your right, the AFC North is gonna be a tough Division.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Adam Peter's has been working hard to fill a lot of needs for Washington's roster......And it will be up to the coaches to combine the players into cohesive units and a real team....It's so refreshing to see a knowledgeable and insightful GM at work!!!

Another deal was made for another need, free agent Safety Jeremy Chinn has agreed to terms on a one-year deal with the Commanders that is worth up to $5.1 million. He has 324 tackles, four sacks, 12 tackles for loss, two interceptions, 17 pass breakups, three forced fumbles and two defensive touchdowns. In 2023, Chinn totaled 30 tackles, a sack and a pass breakup in 12 games. One interesting note: Chinn finished 2nd to Chase Young in 2020 defensive rookie of the year voting. That was when Chase was healthy and gave effort...

Reporter Ben Standig joked, one more signing and Washington will receive a set of steak knives. Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@teganslaw 

The Colts are signing free agent DT Raekwon Davis to a 2-year deal worth up to $14 million.

Honored Contributor

Not to be outdone by the Cowboys, Washington also signed a Long Snapper, Tyler Ott from the Ravens.....Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

The Eagles added WR Devante Parker and brought back safety/nickel corner CJGJ. Still rumors of more moves to come. Lots of chatter of the Eagles getting Bears QB Justin Fields. That would be a trade. More rumors of a trade for a linebacker. No name yet.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

It's Howie season in the NFL. He's managed to take a defeated fanbase and rally them as he rebuilds the team on the fly. I'm never sure how he does it, but Howie pulls off miracle after miracle each offseason. He's somehow landed the best edge rusher, running back, safety/nickel corner, a competent third WR, and more. And he's not done yet. Two new upper-tier coordinators and lots of new assistant coaches with good resumes. And we still have the draft to come. Optimism is high in Philly.

Meanwhile, in Dallas, yeah, not much happening. They lost Leighton Vander-Esch to retirement due to his neck issues. They've lost their starting center, likely their starting left tackle, defensive line depth, running back, and more. I guess they're counting on drafting replacements, but you're lucky to hit on two to three starters in the draft. And they'll need more than two to three guys. By the time they finally redo Dak's contract, now rumored to be in August, the money freed up won't matter a whole lot.

Howie's laying the groundwork for some trades also. The word is that he's looking for a corner and linebacker through trades. Budda Baker maybe? Patrick Surtain? And maybe Justin Fields as a backup QB. The market for Fields seems to be drying up a bit. Howie is just sitting there waiting for the price to get right and he'll make his move. Jets QB Zach Wilson is a guy the Eagles reportedly loved coming out, so if his price is right he could be the backup. 

Free agency is always interesting, but this year has been a bit crazier than normal. Some teams are clearly in "win now" mode. The Eagles, Texans, and Lions seem to be leading the pack in that category. All three are adding to already good rosters and look to be dangerous going forward. The Texans are going to be a real handful going forward. The Titans have been in on most of the upper-tier guys but fell short in the final bidding. Cash seems to be holding them back.

Some teams aren't doing as much. The Cowboys may have forgotten free agency started. The Chiefs are interesting as they've largely ignored the wide receiver group. Are they planning to load up on kids at WR in the draft? High risk possibly high reward option there. Or do they have a trade or trades in the works? Wide receiver was an issue with them last year and they've already flushed Marquez Valdes-Scantling, so they're already down one guy. There are still some "name" guys out there, but the Chiefs don't seem to be in a rush to sign anyone. That's interesting. 

The Eagles have filled most of the roster holes they entered the offseason with and can now grab the best player available in the draft regardless of their position. No one seems to know the real-world numbers as to cap space but the presumption is the Eagles still have around $20 million to spend. Not bad considering all the players they've gotten so far. 

I suspect the Eagles are still shopping for another safety (Justin Simmons, Kamren Curl) and a linebacker or two, plus a backup QB. I suspect the backup QB will be either Justin Fields or Zach Wilson, but we'll have to see.

Things get official today when the new league year officially starts. Lots of press conferences will take place once guys officially sign their new deals. A player or two here or there may change their mind and return to free agency. You never know until the contracts are signed.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I had to look up Raekwon Davis, as that name isn't familiar to me. Other Colts fans seem to like the signing, though. 

Some analysts have Justin Fields going to the the Colts as back up, so I don't know what is happening. I haven't heard that the Bears are officially trading or releasing him. They are expected to get Caleb Williams in the draft. 

Fantasy football will be fun as well as challenging this year. Have to guess how the players will do with their new teams. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain