Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for February 2024: The Super Bowl Edition!!!

Tom Grossi winning fan of the year was fun. We'll have to see how he handles that on his podcasts.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

Congratulations to all the winners at NFL Honors! I thought that DeMeco Ryans would win COTY, but can see why Stefanski was honored. Joe Flacco helped get the Browns to the playoffs, so he was a good choice. I would have been fine with Baker Mayfield, also. 

Dwight Freeney to Canton! Well deserved! He is a legend in Indianapolis.

@teganslaw 

Joe Flacco was a good story--just short of his 39th birthday comes off the couch to take the Browns to the playoffs.......Amazing! But I would have been happy with Baker Mayfield too...been watching some of the Vegas interviews with various players and Baker comes across as very humble, he apparently learned a lot from his NFL journey and said he found joy in just playing football.....

Congrats on Feeney making the Hall!!!!

I was disappointed in Coach of the yr, yes Stefanski had to rely on a 38 yr old guy QB instead of his starter, but the Browns have always had a good defense....whereas DeMeco Ryan's 1st yr coach put it all together with a rookie QB even and made it to the playoffs!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

lamar flacco.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Some coaching news to catch up on. Jerry Jones has done his typical routine of going with a "name" coach he knows for his new DC in Mike Zimmer. He's been out of football for the last two years after getting fired as the Vikings head coach. Zimmer had formerly been a Cowboys coach back in the 1990s-early 2000s. JJ loves his "name" guys that he knows and has heard of, so Zimmer fits the bill.

Chip Kelly is leaving UCLA for a job as an OC. Just not in Seattle or Washington, but at Ohio State instead. It's not typical for a head coach to walk away from his job to take a seemingly lesser position at another school, but that's what Chip's doing. Chip wants to coach more than he wants to recruit players, so moving back to OC is a smart move for him.

Coaching jobs are filling up quickly now with lots going on behind the scenes. Most of the teams have their staffs in place, maybe minus one or two pieces, and the new coordinators are coaching up the assistants on what they want done and how they want it done. Before you can start coaching the players you need to coach the coaches. By the time players are allowed back into team facilities in April, the new staff need to be hired, trained, and ready to roll. Then the real prep for the 2024 season starts with the classroom work and first field walkthroughs.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman 

I'm not impressed with the hiring of Zimmer, come on Jerry you can do better than this ...lol!!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

OH NO!!!!! Jason Kelce is meeting with ESPN and FOX about a career in broadcasting....looks like the "Kelce love" will continue and never stop even if one or both retire.....I even noticed Mrs. Kelce was in attendance at NFL HONORS.....SMH Woman Frustrated

And speaking of broadcasting it looks like CBS is cleaning house on it's NFL pre-game show, James Brown will remain as host, but the rest of the cast is to be determined starting with the new NFL season....I know JJ Watt appeared from time to time, he was good......the rest of the personalities had no chemistry together and seemed to try to outdo one another......a change IS definitely needed so STAY TUNED!

Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

Yeah, JJ is making a habit of dusting off former coaches who have been sitting at home for a while. McCarthy as head coach. Schottenheimer as OC. And now Zimmer. He does love his "name" guys. You'd think he'd look back at his Jimmy Johnson hire and maybe take a chance on a young and up-coming college coach, but no. He's picking coaches like they're a fine wine that needs to age a few years in the cellar. Well, at home.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman 

JJ is his own worst enemy, he has to go with coaches that won't mind his meddling....because after all, he isn't just an owner or GM, he's also a coach, I've heard him dictate the strategy he wants run too....!!!

Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

The NFL has a program to help players move on to a broadcasting career. Kelce's participated in it for several years and impressed those overseeing the program. The clues he's been giving are that he'd like to come back for one more year, but if the right broadcast offer came along...

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt 

The NFL has a program to help players move on to a broadcasting career. Kelce's participated in it for several years and impressed those overseeing the program. The clues he's been giving are that he'd like to come back for one more year, but if the right broadcast offer came along...

@gardenman 

Jason has a good personality that generates well with fans.....

Fox did an interview with Tom Brady and he said that he's been working hard learning all about his new career as an analyst, doing practice games and such.... but I wasn't even impressed with the interview....lol  I guess Fox is counting on female NFL fans to tune in to see his handsome face regardless of whether Tom is good or bad at his new gig!!!.....I may be tuning in to TIM'S SPORTS TALK on You Tube for my play by play and analysis...Woman LOL