Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for February 2024: The Super Bowl Edition!!!

[ Edited ]

@gardenman 

What Harris stressed to candidates that GM and coaches must work together and collaborate on personnel and other decisions so I think they will be on the same page to get players that match a certain scheme like the 49ers have done.  Yes the key is hiring the right OC and QB coach....And in the draft Peters talked about the importance of matching schemes to player's talents...(this is why EB won't be around.)

Players that have played for Quinn have voluntarily come forward on their Twitter accounts to say how much they enjoyed working with Dan Quinnin with his various teams (Seahawks, Atlanta, Dallas) and gave a good recommendation......

I did notice a few teams picked up college Assistant coaches ....and when you see the top college Head coaches leave like Saban and Harbaugh that tells you something...

I was reading about AJ Brown about the firing of Brian Johnson...."somebody has to be the bad guy"....he went on to say how players need to excute and make plays...and if they're not doing it, to me that then falls on the coach!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

You always hear interesting whispers when coaches leave. New Eagles DC Vic Fangio is a guy players either love or hate. There seems to be no middle ground. Lots of guys have come forward and sworn he's the best coach they've ever played under and he made them into the player they were. Others insist he doesn't understand modern players and needs to change.

The outgoing pair of DCs in Philly (Sean Desai and Matt Patricia) are said to not have been able to relate to the players as well as hoped. 

No one had too much negative to say about Brian Johnson, the outgoing OC, but his playcalling got a tad predictable. You could almost tell what play was coming as a fan by the personnel and formations. That made it too easy for defenses.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

There's lots of chatter of Jerry Jones wanting to hit a home run with his DC hire. The contract will be interesting. Mike McCarthy is on the last year of his deal. Any new DC will want a four to six year deal. Can you do that without extending McCarthy first? Does that make sense? If JJ brings in a "name" coach without extending McCarthy, then everyone, including players, will assume the new coach is the head coach in waiting. Even McCarthy will feel that way. Bringing in a Vrabel, Belichick, etc. will be viewed as he's McCarthy's replacement.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Kliff Kingsbury has decided not to take the Raiders' OC position. No explanation on why he turned it down. It's back to the drawing board, although Chip Kelly was mentioned as a possible candidate. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

There's lots of chatter of Jerry Jones wanting to hit a home run with his DC hire. The contract will be interesting. Mike McCarthy is on the last year of his deal. Any new DC will want a four to six year deal. Can you do that without extending McCarthy first? Does that make sense? If JJ brings in a "name" coach without extending McCarthy, then everyone, including players, will assume the new coach is the head coach in waiting. Even McCarthy will feel that way. Bringing in a Vrabel, Belichick, etc. will be viewed as he's McCarthy's replacement.

@gardenman 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

Kliff Kingsbury has decided not to take the Raiders' OC position. No explanation on why he turned it down. It's back to the drawing board, although Chip Kelly was mentioned as a possible candidate. 

@teganslaw 

And single women let out a big sad sigh Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

What I've heard regarding Kliff Kingsbury is that he'd agreed to join the Raiders, but then things broke down on the contract talks. Not sure if it was money, length of contract, or some other detail. He reportedly still has other suitors, including Washington.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

And to be fair and balanced here's a Redskin/Commanders joke:

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Judging by the responses on this forum and in general, these are probably 2 of the least liked teams outside of their hometowns to be in the Super Bowl.  

I wish them both the best.  A 49er faithful here who believes that the best team should win.  Go Niners!!!  But I am still on Jason Kelce watch to see what he does in Las Vegas!

Honored Contributor

Kylie Kelce, Jason's wife, is going to be keeping a close eye on Jason in Vegas. After his shenanigans in Buffalo where he went against her express warnings, she made it clear that the rules would be the same for her from now on, and that seems to have reined him in a bit. He'd said something like "I can make my own decisions" to justify his actions in Buffalo. She's warned him now that anytime she comes home with a cat she'll use that same response. Jason's not apparently a cat person so that warning had him more subdued last week in Baltimore. We'll have to see what happens in Vegas next Sunday.

I don't know if I'd call the Niners and Chiefs the least-liked teams. At least not overall. The Cowboys and Patriots probably earn that title. The Niners do tend to whine nonstop when things don't go their way and that gets annoying. They have some good stories though in Brock Purdy, the kid no one else wanted as the star QB. Christian McCaffrey is just a beast. If they didn't whine and complain so much when things didn't go their way, they'd be easier to like. All last offseason all we heard was how unfair it was they only had two QBs for their playoff game and how they'd have won if only they'd had more QBs.

And Mahomes for all of his greatness is another nonstop whiner. Anytime he's touched, he's begging the refs for a flag. Any incomplete pass he's begging for pass interference or defensive holding. And it works for him as he often gets the flag. The Chiefs seem to live in the Super Bowl and you'd like to see someone else get there for a change. I like Andy Reid as a former Eagle and wish him well. I just don't love either team. Neither one is a feel-good team for me.

Do I care who wins? Not really. I'm not truly invested in either team. I'd like it to be a good game and no major controversy, but who wins doesn't matter to me. I just don't care for either team. I'm already into the 2024 NFL season now and looking forward to the Combine, free agency, and the NFL Draft. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!