Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for February 2024: The Super Bowl Edition!!!

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

One article said that Super Bowl prices cost more this year because of the location being in Las Vegas. It must be an expensive place to host. 

I'll be watching the Pro Bowl. Quenton Nelson is a starter. C Ryan Kelly, DE DeForest Buckner and Gardner Minshew are listed as alternatives. 

The media is still carrying on about the pre game issues among Kelce, Mahomes and Tucker. I think it's "much ado about nothing." Put the altercation in the past and concentrate on the Super Bowl. 

@teganslaw 

I'll watch NFL Honors and also the ProBowl......I like that the NFL added some skills competition to make it interesting....Washington didn't even have one player on the ProBowl roster, not even an alternate, gee even the Panthers have a player on the roster....But I'm happy Baker Mayfield got in...

NFC Pro Bowl roster 2024

PlayerPositionTeam
Brock Purdy*QB49ers
Dak Prescott**QBCowboys
Matthew Stafford**QBRams
Christian McCaffrey*RB49ers
D'Andre SwiftRBEagles
Kyren WilliamsRBRams
Kyle Juszczyk*FB49ers
CeeDee LambWRCowboys
AJ Brown**WREagles
Mike Evans**WRBuccaneers
Puka NacuaWRRams
George Kittle*TE49ers
Sam LaPortaTELions
Trent Williams*T49ers
Lane JohnsonTEagles
Penei SewellTLions
Zack Martin**GCowboys
Chris LindstromGFalcons
Landon DickersonGEagles
Jason KelceCEagles
Frank RagnowCLions
Nick Bosa*DE49ers
Montez SweatDEBears
Aidan HutchinsonDELions
Aaron Donald**DTRams
Dexter LawrenceDTGiants
Javon Hargrave*DT49ers
Micah ParsonsLBCowboys
Danielle HunterLBVikings
Haason ReddickLBEagles
Fred Warner*LB49ers
Bobby WagnerLBSeahawks
DaRon BlandCBCowboys
Charvarius Ward*CB49ers
Jaylon JohnsonCBBears
Devon WitherspoonCBSeahawks
Jessie BatesSFalcons
Budda BakerSCardinals
Julian LoveSSeahawks
Andrew DePaolaLSVikings
Bryan AngerPCowboys
Brandon AubreyKCowboys
Rashid ShaheedKRSaints
Jalen Reeves-Maybin**STLions

* - Not playing due to Super Bowl berth

** - Not playing due to injury

AFC Pro Bowl roster 2024

PlayerPositionTeam
Tua TagovailoaQBDolphins
Lamar Jackson**QBRavens
Patrick Mahomes*QBChiefs
Raheem MostertRBDolphins
James CookRBBills
Derrick HenryRBTitans
Alec IngoldFBDolphins
Tyreek HillWRDolphins
Amari Cooper**WRBrowns
Keenan AllenWRChargers
Ja'Marr ChaseWRBengals
Travis Kelce*TEChiefs
David NjokuTERavens
Laremy TunsilTTexans
Dion DawkinsTBills
Terron ArmsteadTDolphins
Quenton NelsonGColts
Joel Bitonio**GBrowns
Joe Thuney*GChiefs
Creed Humphrey*CChiefs
Tyler LinderbaumCRavens
Myles GarrettDEBrowns
Maxx Crosby**DERaiders
Trey HendricksonDEBengals
Chris Jones*DTChiefs
Quinnen WilliamsDTJets
Justin MadubuikeDTRavens
TJ Watt**LBSteelers
Khalil Mack**LBChargers
Josh AllenLBJaguars
Roquan SmithLBRavens
Patrick QueenLBRavens
Pat Surtain IICBBroncos
Sauce GardnerCBJets
Jalen RamseyCBDolphins
Denzel WardCBBrowns
Justin SimmonsSBroncos
Minkah FitzpatrickSSteelers
Kyle HamiltonSRavens
Ross MatiscikLSJaguars
AJ ColePRaiders
Justin TuckerKRavens
Marvin Mims Jr.KRBroncos
Miles KillebrewSTSteelers

* - Not playing due to Super Bowl berth

Pro Bowl 2024 alternates

Super Bowl-bound players are not eligible to suit up for the Pro Bowl, leaving plenty of alternate spots available. Additionally, a handful of selections have opted out of the skills contest and flag football game for injury or personal reasons.

Those replacing Chiefs and other AFC players include quarterbacks C.J. Stroud (Texans) and Gardner Minshew II (Colts), Bills wide receiver Stefon Diggs, Jaguars tight end Evan Engram, guards Kevin Zeitler (Ravens) and Wyatt Teller (Browns), Colts center Ryan Kelly and defensive tackle DeForest Buckner, Texans defensive end Will Anderson Jr., and linebackers Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah (Browns) and Jermaine Johnson (Jets).

Replacing 49ers and other NFC players are quarterbacks Jalen Hurts (Eagles), Baker Mayfield (Buccaneers), and Geno Smith (Seahawks), Lions running back Jahmyr Gibbs and wide receiver Amon-Ra St. Brown, Seahawks receiver DK Metcalf, Vikings fullback C.J. Ham, Cowboys tight end Jake Ferguson, Cowboys guard Tyler Smith, Buccaneers tackle Tristan Wirfs, defensive tackles Derrick Brown (Panthers) and Kenny Clark (Packers), Saints linebacker Demario Davis, Cowboys defensive end Demarcus Lawrence, Eagles cornerback Darius Slay, and Seahawks special teamer Nick Bellore.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@gardenman 

We've discussed Dak's contract and how it handcuffs the Cowboy's roster.....But GM Jerry isn't thinking about what actual reality is and making big promises he won't be able to deliver on...."we're going all in on different people than we have in the past"..“I think we’ll push the hell out of it,” ..How can Jerry do this, he's locked in on Dak's contract and needs to pay Micah Parsons and CeCe Lamb.....How is he going to afford to pay first rank talent without the salary cap space???? Parson said, "I hope we go all in. I hope that we go out and get the players that we’re missing, because we didn’t do that this year. I hope that we challenge ourselves to become better and become greater for us.”.......Micah it ain't gonna happen. It will be the usual "stars and scrubs".....Barnum and Bailey Jerry may talk big, but he isn't going to be able to deliver!!!!!!.....Sorry Micah!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

Yeah, the Cowboys have backed themselves into a corner with their contracts. Jerry's "different people" wording had me wondering if they are planning to flush some players. They spent a fourth-round pick on Trey Lance and have had him for almost a year now. Do they think he'd be as good or better than Dak?

If they keep Dak and give CeeDee and Micah Parsons the new deals both guys will want (Parsons $35-$40 million per year and Lamb $30+ million per year) they'll have even less flexibility than they have now. That's about $130 million on just three guys.

Do they try to trade CeeDee and hope they can draft a kid in a WR-heavy draft to replace him? CeeDee is almost an $18 million cap hit this year. They gave away Amari Cooper a few years ago and drafted CeeDee to replace him. Is JJ planning a repeat? It is a wide receiver-heavy draft. They could get a first-round pick and more for CeeDee.

Zack Martin has a $28+ million cap hit. Do they let him go? Demarcus Lawrence is $20+ million. Flush him? They've got to find cap space somewhere. You can push a cap hit further down the road, but then you end up with a ton of dead money just lurking there in the future ready to derail you for a few years.

CeeDee is already playing on his fifth-year option in 2024. Micah will be on his fifth-year option in 2025 if they don't make a new deal with him before then. If they don't extend Dak or CeeDee they can't tag both and one will be able to freely test free agency at the end of the 2024 season. You generally don't let players of that caliber test free agency.

They've got fourteen free agents including their starting center and left tackle. You generally don't let those guys wander off. And eight guys who started various games on defense for them are free agents. 

Historically, the Cowboys just sit back and watch free agency. They wave goodbye to their former guys who get deals elsewhere and then wait until the market dies down and pick up whoever's left. Whoever's left is typically damaged goods in some manner. Guys coming off of injuries. Guys on the backend of their career. Guys with character issues. Guys no one else wants.

"We're going all in on different people than we have in the past," sounds like the Cowboys are planning to make a few big personnel moves. They'll be hard-pressed to add anyone new given their cap situation without getting rid of a few guys first. Dak has a no-trade clause, but he could waive that. Will JJ let Dak and his reps investigate a trade? Will we see a DeShaun Watson-type deal go down for Dak? 

Or is JJ just talking and has no clue what he'll do? He doesn't generally give up on "his guys" and let them leave. Amari Cooper didn't give him much of a choice with his "Dak is a black Kirk Cousins" statement. I haven't heard any Cowboys player saying anything too stupid this year to justify trading them away.

My gut says JJ works out a new deal with Dak and CeeDee. Maybe wait another year on Parsons. Spend even more cap space on his upper-tier guys and then have to get even more resourceful in finding guys to fill out the roster. It's the formula he's followed for decades now. He loves his stars too much to let them go. He'll try to fill in the blanks with whatever's left over.

Now, if talks with Dak's reps haven't been going well and they're asking way, way too much ($75+ million per year) then we could see JJ walk away from Dak. If you're Dak's agent with him having a $59+ million cap hit in 2024, your floor for a new deal is $60+ million.  QBs are getting $50-$55+ million now and will be getting $60+ million before long, so why not have Dak be the first to break that barrier? Now if you want $60+ million a year you don't come in asking for that. You come in higher at $65-$75 million per year and then negotiate your way downward from there to reach the $60+ million a year deal. If JJ is hearing $65-$75 million per year he may just decide, no. Not going to happen and walk away. 

Trey Lance is a $5 million dollar guy this year and they have a fifth-year option available for him. He'd be a lot cheaper than Dak. Get a handful of picks for Dak, save some cap space, and pray Lance isn't as bad as he looked in San Francisco.

It's going to be an interesting offseason in Dallas. They've got issues they've got to resolve. Not as bad as some teams though. We have eight teams that are at least $20+ million over the cap now. The Saints are a whopping $86+ million over the cap. Where do you even start when you're that far in the hole? Yikes!

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Good news for Washington fans! They're no longer competing for a head coach! Everyone else has one. The Commanders get to pick whoever they want from what's left over with no time pressure now. I'm not sure how you go the better part of a year knowing you'll likely need a new head coach and still not have one, but they've pulled it off.

Four of those they've interviewed are still unhired, so there's that. Dan Quinn is the big name. He's lost whatever contract leverage he had, so if he wants the job, the Commanders can pretty much set the price at whatever point they want. He's said this is the year he wants to be a head coach again, so his options are pretty limited. Well, one to be precise. The Commanders can pretty much say, "So, what are you willing to pay us to let you coach our team?" Quinn has no leverage at all in contract negotiations now. It's either go back to Dallas or take whatever the Commanders offer.

Aaron Glenn, Anthony Weaver, and Eric Bieniemy are also still available. Were they ever real candidates or Rooney Rule interviewees? It's not typical to take a team's defensive line coach (Anthony Weaver) and make him your new head coach. Aaron Glenn's status sagged a bit when his defense gave up a seventeen-point halftime lead and lost in the playoffs. And Bieniemy seemingly already has lost the Commander's locker room as OC. Do you elevate him to the head coach?

If you go by the known interviews and who's left, it's probably going to be Dan Quinn. I suspect Jerry Jones is wooing him back to Dallas though, so a minor bidding war for him could erupt. If Quinn truly wants to be a head coach, it's Washington or bust. He's arguably the best of what's left. At least from whom we know the Commanders have interviewed. And the Commander's job is the only one left open. They've reportedly ruled out interviewing Belichick or Vrabel, which is odd. Too pricey? Are they bargain hunting? "Who can we get the cheapest?"

If you want to be an NFL head coach, Washington is your only option for the next eleven months. None of the four known contenders seems like the ideal guy you'd hire to build your new QB, assuming the Commanders use pick two on a QB. Dan Quinn bringing Chip Kelly with him might be a good option. Chip has built a few QBs in his day. But if they want the Quinn/Kelly combo they could have signed them a while back. Strange things going on in Washington. I guess they'll eventually get around to hiring a head coach. We just don't know when.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@gardenman As a born and bred Southern Californian (living in WA now) it's in my DNA to intensely dislike any SF team! So I root for anyone playing them. 

@Love my grandkids 

that is interesting.....

my s/o is from san diego and he is rooting for the 49ers!

he will root for any california team over any other team, especially now that the chargers are in LA (plus he still loves the raiders.)

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@LavernLuvsShoes wrote:

Not planning to watch the Pro Bowl ... Yawn!

Sooo, who's hosting a Super Bowl Party and what's on the menu?

It's just gonna be Hubby and me, but I always stir up a platter of Buffalo Wings, a Veggie Platter, Mac & Cheese, and either some Ribs or a pot of Chili, along with the usual Chips, Soda and a homemade Cake or Pie.

we are, but it wont be as much fun with our team out of it @LavernLuvsShoes !

chili

kosher hot dogs

ribs or wings....undecided at the moment.

7 layer dip

dip and veggies

crab dip

steamed shrimp

deviled eggs

cheeses and charcuterie board

chex mix, chips

full bar

brownies

rice krispie treats

royal iced shortbread cookies with the teams and nfl themes. will post a pic when i get them.....she always does such a GREAT job!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

RAVENS have lost three of their coaching/organizational staff so far....

LA CHARGERS got JOE HORITZ (defensive player personnel for ravens) as their GM.

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS got MIKE MACDONALD ( ravens defensive coordinator) as their HEAD COACH.

TENNESSEE TITANS got DENNARD WILSON (ravens defensive backs coordinator) as their DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR.

will there be more???

Honored Contributor

The Commander's have made the move to hire Dan Quinn. A win/win for them as they get a coach and weaken the Cowboys. If the rumors hold true, Quinn will be bringing some Cowboy assistants with him and pulling Chip Kelly from UCLA to run his offense. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

The Commander's have made the move to hire Dan Quinn. A win/win for them as they get a coach and weaken the Cowboys. If the rumors hold true, Quinn will be bringing some Cowboy assistants with him and pulling Chip Kelly from UCLA to run his offense. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out. 

@gardenman 

Dan Quinn's ok considering the leftovers, Aaron Glenn or Weaver was a possibility.....I prefer Quinn. I don't want cowboy assistants. Quinn was ALWAYS a top consideration they said

Not considering Vrabel is very odd, John Keim said maybe he wanted too much control and Washington's key words were collaboration working with the GM and a coach with good leadership skills with players 

Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

Quinn's a decent option. Not sexy, daring, or bold, but safe and passable. Building his staff will be interesting. I wonder if Kellen Moore would have been an option for him at OC? Word is his DC will be one of the Cowboys' assistants. I'm not sure he can afford to bring in Chip Kelly. Chip's probably pretty well paid at UCLA. Quinn getting hired this late in the cycle limits his power and options.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!